Thread: Glide Baits

Glide Baits

Tactical Bassin' did a video recently on these huge (Musky-sized) swimbaits/glide baits. They really talked them up as being deadly for big Bass. They couldn't count the number of fish these things have caught..

Well OK, Has anyone here used these in the sizes they talk about? Are they really that good? I would think maybe out in California where bass eat trout but I have my doubts here in the Midwest.

If they are that good, I'm running out and buying a bunch of them, if I can afford them.
    Last edited by BackLash625; 10-15-2020 at 05:20 PM.

2. Member
    Yes, they do work.

You will often see fish come out of the woodwork to follow them.

I have seen some people post some pretty nice fish from Illinois and Indiana on swimbaits.

Start off with a 168 S Waver, it's not too pricey and it's not too intimidating to use.

You may also want a Huddleston 68 since it's cooling down.

I started off with a savage gear glide swimmer in bass color.

Swimbaits can be a very slippery slope if you let it become one, trust me I know from experience and observation.

I fish for muskies with baits larger than these and they will all indeed catch largemouth and small mouth. Honestly I have caught 3 pound bass on 12" crank baits.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Member
    I’ve had packs of smallmouth come up for a s waver 200 never got one on it but came back and hammered them with jerkbaits.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

5. Member
    Not a glide or big bait master but as Diggy and born2fish stated they have drawing power bring fish out to show themselves even if they do not commit.

I throw glide baits for bass a lot. KGB ChadShad is my favorite. Plenty of 2lbers will try to wreck a big glide bait

7. Member
    I bought a few jointed luckycraft glidebaits on ebay. Great action. Haven't thrown them much though. My trips are limited this year. I can see how fish would go after them.lucky craft has a good selection of colors for your part of the country.

8. Member
    I think the big deal with these is having the patience to keep throwing them.

9. Member
    I fished the s-waver 168 over the weekend because of this thread, caught a few.
    s-waver.jpg

10. Member
    There's a kid in my club that fishes swimbaits a lot in local ponds. Big baits like Deps 250 (though he does throw the 175 a lot) and a bunch of others that I couldn't even name. Anyway I've built him a few rods, he just broke one that was good up to like 6 oz. Told me he had caught over 600 fish on it. I built him the rod like a year and a half ago. We're in Illinois. I throw them some, actually won a tournament on the medium size Spro rat once and I think I had like 16lbs so nothing giant.

They work, get a size 40 Spro rat, an S-waver 168 and either a Hudd 68 (ROF5) or 8" Magdraft and you'll be able to see what it's all about for not that much money and you can throw them all on a flippin stick. Change the hooks on the Spro though.

11. Member
    Bullshad. Bullrat. Bullglide. And then a mag draft. You’re good to go.
    Murray State Alum
    2007 Champion 210 with all the toys

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyRanger View Post
    I throw glide baits for bass a lot. KGB ChadShad is my favorite. Plenty of 2lbers will try to wreck a big glide bait
    Is KGB still in business? When I look at their website, the only thing I can see for sale are some T-shirts and stickers.

Well answered my own question by looking at the KGB Facebook page - looks like they make limited amounts and when they list them for sale they sell out within minutes.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    Well answered my own question by looking at the KGB Facebook page - looks like they make limited amounts and when they list them for sale they sell out within minutes.
    That’s how most small bait companies are. There’s so many hoarders in the big bait groups that buy baits and never fish them, or flip them. It’s dumb.
    Murray State Alum
    2007 Champion 210 with all the toys

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    Is KGB still in business? When I look at their website, the only thing I can see for sale are some T-shirts and stickers.
    They put baits up weekly to bi weekly. They had a drop on the 16th. If you follow them on IG and FB, they will show when they are prepping them, then notify you of the drop.

Good video.
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

Quote Originally Posted by diggy_ View Post
    They put baits up weekly to bi weekly. They had a drop on the 16th. If you follow them on IG and FB, they will show when they are prepping them, then notify you of the drop.
    i am interested in them, but not that interested.

18. Member
    It pretty much sucks trying to get hold of a decent swimbait( 3:16,KGB,WCZ,Pizz,DRT) unless your connected or lucky enough to get wind of a lure drop. Unless you want to pay 2x's what it's worth.They are fun to fish and catch some absolute toads though
    Attached Images Attached Images