Question 90 200 efi randmoly loses all electric power

Motor is 1999 not 1990...I can fish all day, sometimes weeks and not have a issue. But sometimes ill go to run and nothing will happen. No power to ignotion, gauages, or trim at my quicksilver 3000 or trim on the side of my motor. But the trim at the bow will work fine. I checked the big plug under my cowl and it is fine. its almost as if i trailer the boat somthing jars back into place and the motors fine. so i have a loose wire somewhere but no idea where. is it in my quicksilver 3000? under the dash?

2. Member
    The engine mounted trim switch is powered through the engine harness,so if that doesn’t work,that eliminates the boat wiring. I wonder if you might have a break inside the battery,try a new one. I’m assuming you have checked and cleaned all the terminals on the battery already. Just had another thought,it could be break in the hot or negative engine cables.

3. Member
    check the fuse and holder just above switchboxes for good clean connection
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Yes Rip bass i tried jumping it from another battery and moving the cables to a diffrent battery and it was still deader than a door nail.

5. Member
    are you talking about under the cowling?

6. Member
    yes sir all power to c box comes from it / red wire in harness
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Ok ill check that in the morning. Is there a wire coming from my key ignotion at the dash that could be causing this?

8. Member
    sure there is, if switch is bad will do it too looses connect with purple =12v with key on, no purple no run

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    sure there is, if switch is bad will do it too looses connect with purple =12v with key on, no purple no run
    True,but it doesn’t affect the engine trim switch. He stated the engine mounted trim doesn’t work during these times. I still think it’s problem with the engine electrical wiring. But I’ve been wrong before.

10. Member
    ITs obviously a loose wire, fuse, because when i trailer the boat somthing jars and makes it right. and yes when it happens i loose all power to key, gauages, quicksilver 3000, and the trim button on the actual cowl. But trim at the bow still works.

11. Member
    Bus fuse fellas, found the issue! thanks for the help.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Asaadams88 View Post
    Bus fuse fellas, found the issue! thanks for the help.
    Good for you!

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Moving to correct forum for future reference/searches.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor