Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Champion to Bass Cat?

Have owned a Champion for 23 years and now looking to switch to BC. Was wondering if any of you have done this and what you think of the switch. I have a meeting at the factory in November to talk to them, but wanted someone that did the switch and could give me some insight. Like how do you like the foot pedal that far forward and anything to ask them or anything you suggest that is a must have on the boat. Going down to look at the new 203 Cougar, I'm not a speed freak, just nice ride.

2. Member
    Take a look at the new Hybrid's utilizing a modified Champ hull with a Puma/Cougar top cap. It's a nice ride for sure!

3. Member
    The forward position of the foot pedal is an adjustment, but one you get used to quickly. And once you're used to it, you're hooked - especially if you do a lot of pitching & flipping.

Most of the essentials will come standard on that boat - just make sure you a padded front deck.

The new Hybrid with the Cougar top cap is the deal. Bigger deck, better storage layout and faster. Easy decision
    Kevin R. Brown
    2020 Bass Cat Cougar
    2020 250 Mercury Pro XS 4-Stroke
    Mega Live & Mega 360
    Ionic Lithum Batteries
    1999 Bass Cat Jaguar
    99 Mercury 250efi

5. Member
    I loved my 96 champ 191 that I bought new and sold / gave to a buddy last year. At the time I owned the champ and a 2013 Puma. Kept at two different lakes. Really impressed with the build quality of the bcb. The forward foot peddle is not for me. Big feet and not so nimble at 62. The caracal,cougar Eyra and lynx give you the option to move it back. I replaced the champ with a 2020 lynx with a 300 Merc. For me it is the best ride on the water. Good luck. JD
    2020 BCB Lynx 300 pro xs 4s
    2013 BCB Puma 250 pro xs
    WPS

6. Member
    I've had two Champs and then went into two different Cats. The Cat ride is real close to the Champ at the same speed. The hybrid hull should be the ticket if you don't mind losing a couple mph. The foot pedal took a couple weeks to get used too. The trailers were the cats meow. I get pissed when I have to work on a pump in the bilge with my new boat compared to just reaching down and being able to get at any pump. The gas tank had to be removed on my 187 to get to the pump out...talk about a PITA. My seats never got stuck on either Cat. Champ made a fantastic boat, IMO Cat did everything better but the ride, and that was close!

7. Member
    I have a Champ 203 and a BassCat Lynx. I love the ride of the 203 and great handling but the Lynx hands down is my favorite. The Lynx's ride is just as good, faster, drier, and much more stable. I have no plans on selling the 203 but the Lynx is my everyday boat. I have 200 hrs. on the boat already so I've got a lot of seat time already in the Lynx.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama.Bassmaster View Post
    The forward position of the foot pedal is an adjustment, but one you get used to quickly. And once you're used to it, you're hooked - especially if you do a lot of pitching & flipping.

Most of the essentials will come standard on that boat - just make sure you a padded front deck.
    I had a 1999 Champion 191 for 11 Years and recently got a 2020 Puma with a Mercury 250 4-stroke. As far as the foot pedal for the trolling motor goes, after one trip fishing I was hooked. At first it seemed awkward but it gets you so much closer to the action, I really do like it. I never feel like I am unsafe or about to fall in. The Bass Cat has so much more storage. It is so much more stable while fishing, the Champ was very tippy, in the Champ I could feel my partners every move. Maybe the best part is the performance...this thing hauls a$$ and the fuel milage is better than my old Jonnyrude 200. Do it and don’t look back...it is a whole different world! I wish I had made the move a long time ago! It will make you want to go fishing just to drive the boat around...it’s that much fun!

9. Member
    Champions are great boats, but i won’t look back after switching to cat. Great boat, great construction, great customer service! They have several different models to look at when you get there. Find the one that fits YOU! The new upgrade to the cougar are extremely nice. It is the most popular boat being sold right now from the looks of things. Good luck on your search!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama.Bassmaster View Post

The Cougar version of the 203 has 2 different TM pedal locations. You can move it back further in the Cougar, but not the Puma (at present).
    Last edited by printman71; 10-16-2020 at 11:23 AM.

11. Member
    I’m in my mid 60s and ordered a Lynx in January of 2020 after looking at a Caracal, Cougar and Lynx. They main reason I didn’t go with the Cougar was the forward position of the trolling motor foot control. Back in January the new cougar layout wasn’t available. Within 30 minutes of using the Lynx I was very comfortable with the forward trolling motor foot control position and never moved it back. Now I really like being up front.

12. Member
    I didn't go Champ to BassCat, but I did go from a '91 Stratos 201 to a '07 BassCat Puma this Spring. I had the Stratos since '01.
    Its a little bit of worry as to how any change like that will be.
    It was 100% a awesome decision, I have no regrets. The layout is fantastic, I wasn't sure and I think some shy away from the Puma b/c of the center net storage, but I really love the deck layout, and it doesn't take long to get used to grabbing the net out of the storage, and the net is always handle out and ready but never in the way like a open net generally is.
    The forward foot pedal is great, it takes a couple trips to get used to it, but it never felt awkward to me, and it really makes you feel like your up on the bow and opens up some casting angles, other times if your a little back on the deck, it really keeps the pedal out of your way.
    As far as ride and handling, its phenomenal, granted my other boat was 30 yrs old, so top speed wise there is no comparison. The 90's Stratos 201 was known for its ride much like the older Champions, and honestly the Puma I feel is just as smooth equally as dry and cuts wakes/waves as well as the Stratos. Sometimes as the driver of the boat that is a little harder to determine, but my Tournament partner after the first two events we had made the comment also that the Puma was smother and handled the water better than the Stratos did.

Hopefully some of this helps you but, honestly I don't think you'll have any regrets of going to a BassCat.
    Andy Lavin
    Director:
    Fishers of Men Virginia East Team Division
    2007 BassCat Puma/'07 250 ProXs

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surr View Post
    Have owned a Champion for 23 years and now looking to switch to BC. Was wondering if any of you have done this and what you think of the switch. I have a meeting at the factory in November to talk to them, but wanted someone that did the switch and could give me some insight. Like how do you like the foot pedal that far forward and anything to ask them or anything you suggest that is a must have on the boat. Going down to look at the new 203 Cougar, I'm not a speed freak, just nice ride.
    Surr
    Here is a write up from Matt.
    Enjoy.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1012772

Keep in mind the 2021 Cougar cap has been redesigned so the TM pedal can positioned more aft depending on preference. It also has many other design changes.
    The Puma and Cougar Hybrid will have the same Hybrid hull, just different caps.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

I had a 203 Champion with a 250XB, 3 Stratos 201's among some other nice boats including a Sterling. My 203 was great in rough water, still slow even with the XB. I chose a Lynx, couldn't be happier.
    Last edited by Blue Steel; 10-16-2020 at 07:37 AM.
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

15. Member
    Thanks so much for all the replies, I am leaning toward the Cougar 203 hybrid because of foot pedal and don't need the larger cooler of the Puma. Cant wait to see the new model, but still need to get mine posted for sale. Kind of like selling one of your kids, bought her new in 1997.

Let me know when your passing through St Louis to Mt Home and I’ll give ya a ride in my rig.

the forward pedal takes some getting used to. when i first bought mine it only took a couple days and me almost tossing myself out a few times to get used to it.
    now i dont understand why more companies dont do this same thing. its like second nature now and a huge benefit.

18. Member
    So would the Puma be Something to look at, Im only looking at the Cougar because of the pedal location

19. Member
    If you’re going with a 203 hybrid, look at both. It’s really just a personal preference between the two front deck layouts as Most everything else is the same. I really like the Cougar front deck layout. The 2 large storage compartments in the middle put it over the top for me. With that said, it still was a difficult decision picking which one I liked better. The real challenge is picking colors, if you’re ordering. You will drive your family nuts showing them different color schemes. Pretty sure my wife has ptsd from the experience lol
    2020 BassCat Cougar FTD SP
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

20. Member
    The color scheme can be overwhelming, and the I think either boat would be a lot more storage than I have now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast