Thread: Green River

Green River

Taking wife down to GR for a few days next week
    Looking for a place to stay and ramp with courtesy dock
    also would like to catch a Muskie maybe spinnerbait back in creeks?
    thanks

2. Member
    Holmes Bend Marina

3. Member
    Emerald Isle. Marina and condos within walking distance. Its a smaller ramp but thats a plus IMO as it doesnt get congested with idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyCreekKy View Post
    Holmes Bend Marina
    I second this opinion and will add the owners Joey and Kelly are top notch people who will treat you right. They have cabins that overlook the lake and a lodge that is very close to the lake. The marina has a fish cleaning station if you need to use it. The parking area is massive and has restrooms. The boat ramp can unload 4 boats at a time and yes there is a courtesy dock. If interested one of the best crappie guides around also goes out of that ramp on a routine basis. I would highly recommend him for a trip. If your interested I can provide his web page or the webpage for holmes bend marina.

I never target musky but I accidently catch them every now and then. Even though I know nothing about their seasonal patterns I can say October seems to be the month I have caught the most over the years. In fact the marina is 1/2 mile away from a place where I have made contact multiple times over the years in October. Most were 40" or less up in the shallows around wood. About the only time I have caught a 40" plus is in the spring...but then again I don't target them so if I catch one it is an accident. I am not far from the marina so if you need help with something just feel free to ask.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    I second this opinion and will add the owners Joey and Kelly are top notch people who will treat you right. They have cabins that overlook the lake and a lodge that is very close to the lake. The marina has a fish cleaning station if you need to use it. The parking area is massive and has restrooms. The boat ramp can unload 4 boats at a time and yes there is a courtesy dock. If interested one of the best crappie guides around also goes out of that ramp on a routine basis. I would highly recommend him for a trip. If your interested I can provide his web page or the webpage for holmes bend marina.

I never target musky but I accidently catch them every now and then. Even though I know nothing about their seasonal patterns I can say October seems to be the month I have caught the most over the years. In fact the marina is 1/2 mile away from a place where I have made contact multiple times over the years in October. Most were 40" or less up in the shallows around wood. About the only time I have caught a 40" plus is in the spring...but then again I don't target them so if I catch one it is an accident. I am not far from the marina so if you need help with something just feel free to ask.
    We were down there Thursday, lake was nice but the fishing was terrible. I really thought the water would be a bit cooler. We stayed up around Lee's Ford for a few days, and Cumberland was not much better, a few descent Stripers but that was all....Gonna wait a few more weeks before we come back down.

FYI from right now through the 24th the lake will be very crowded with crappie boats. Official practice is right now and the 3 day tournament is 22-24. It's the Crappie USA Classic which has a $125,000 payout. This is the biggest payout tournament that I am aware of ever held on Green plus its the most boats I am aware of ever in a tournament on Green. Looking at the entries from 2019 they had 129 boats. Local news is reporting this year there should be 150 boats with 20 different states represented. I live near the lake and in the last few days I have seen ton of boats passing buy my house. Plus when I went to town it seem like every gas station, restaurant and motel had multiple boats parked...so just a heads up boat traffic will be horrible until after the 24th.

Great, I’ll be there camping and was going to try doing some crappie fishing to have a fish fry. I’m not a seasoned crappie fisherman so guess I need not worry about trying to fish for them.

8. Member
    I wouldnt let the crappie tourny stop ya from fishin for em. That lake is packed with crappie. Find ya a brushpile and drop some minnows down in it. Im not a crappie fisherman at all but go a few times a year and catch enough to last my family for the year. Finding numbers of keepers can be a little tougher this time of year but there are enough shorts to keep ya busy and youll be able to find enough keeps for your fish fry
    They aint got hands, set the hook

9. Member
    How does Green fish in about a month? Drawdown? Looking at getting away for Thanksgiving weekend due to all the Covid nonsense.
    Family trip. Any good hiking or other stuff to do?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OH_Ranger View Post
    How does Green fish in about a month? Drawdown? Looking at getting away for Thanksgiving weekend due to all the Covid nonsense.
    Family trip. Any good hiking or other stuff to do?

i like green at the end of november, you can catch them a lit of different ways. There will be a really big tourny on black friday out of lone valley so you might wanna plan to use another ramp. There are some bike trails around the lake that can also be good for hiking. If there are any specifics you want you can send me a message
    They aint got hands, set the hook

11. Member
    Glad to hear the tournaments on.