Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question PLEASE HELP 2008 Mercury Pro sx optimax low water pressure -getting the run around

<1B528858 is the Serial Number>

This has been a nightmare!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!Serial number mercury.PNG

My 175 2008 Mercury Pro SX optimax motor alarmed last month on sept 20 on my ranger 188, it went off i after coming off plain and noticed my engine temp at around 180-190
    i let the boat sit for 15 minutes and limped back to the ramp.
    called and took it to my local dealer (A BIG BASS BASS DEALER IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA)
    I had my CHAMPIONSHIP fish off in 5 days and was worried i wouldn't be able to fish it

i took it in the next day and they changed out the water pump /impeller and both thermostats and gear lube
    telling me it was good to go and charged me 407.28
    i took it straight to the lake to test before leaving for the championship. The boat ran great went i first launched
    but i noticed after running awhile it would heat up at a super fast rate under idle and going slow though 5 mile an hour areas 150-180 in less then a minute
    but once i got it on plain it work cool down and the temp would drop drastically
    the alarm never went off after testing the boat but i knew it still wasn't right
    called the dealer back and took it in a second time.
    ��THEY WERE GETTING BOATS READY FOR THE LAKE MEAD US OPEN and were backed up
    so i missed my championship tournament and waited a week
    they said they talked to mercury for a day and a half
    and ended up changing out my poppet valve and heres where it gets crazy they said my impeller was melted and needed to replace it again but wouldn't charge me labor????

the dealer calls after a week and a half and told me they tested it again and everything is great and its ready to go
    i go and pick it up and they wanted 471.72
    for the poppet valve / another impeller and talking to the mercury guys for over 3 hours to solve the problem????/
    at this point i was PISSED
    and then heres the kicker they say as I'm getting ready to leave that i also found a slight water leak from the power head gasket????
    i was like WHAT???? They said they found it after taking off the poppet value and it was a slight amount of water leaking down and coming out of the bottom of my engine
    so the only way to see it was when the poppet valve was off.
    but we tested it and the boat runs great.
    so there is nothing to worry about but you will have to get it replaced soon????

first off why did my Impeller burn up and melt after less then a half hour on the water with no alarms going off??? did they put it in wrong?
    it heated up but i cooled it down right away by speeding up and getting it on plain??
    and once that happened took it straight back to the dock

and second HOW THE HELL DID YOU NOT TELL ME MY POWER HEAD GASKET HAD A SLIGHT LEAK???
    They told me over the phone that the boat was good to go for a second time?????

So i have tested the boat twice both times heating up rapidly at slow speeds once the motor has been run for a while
    It didn't do it when first launching and the engine is cold it has to be running a while for the engine to heat up at slow speeds?

I have changed the Impeller twice - both thermostats -the poppet valve
    got charged 900.00 bucks
    missed my Champion fish off that i fished all year to qualify for.
    and still have the problem
    and now find out that there is a slight leak in the powerhead gasket....

PLEASE HELP WHAT WOULD YOU DO>>>
    I feel like a test subject...
    the engine has 335 hours on it
    and i have done all the maintenance on my engine regularly
    and also run both mercury treatments in it every time i add chevon gas.

My boat is now just sitting in the garage
    and needed a day to cool of before i spoke to the dealer / repair shop again
    and wanted some advice that might know whats going on because they sure don't
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 10-22-2020 at 09:09 AM. Reason: add text serial number after picture added.

You should add your engine serial number (required) to your post. Has anyone ever checked / cleaned the compressor strainer? Are there a lot of weeds / debris where you usually run your boat? What was the engine water pressure at idle and WOT? As far as the impeller melting, that's an odd one. I wonder if it was the wrong one or whoever installed it turned the shaft counter clockwise instead of clockwise when installing it. Not sure what dealer it was but if it was A.M. they have a pretty good reputation.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

3. Member
    That is most likely the compressor heating up,Optis take a heat reading from the compressor sensor. You will need to remove the port side pan to access the strainer. It’s a black plastic fitting on the lower engine,it has a rubber hose on it with a zip tie. Remove and clean the strainer and I’d bet your problem will be cured.

Here’s a helpful tutorial. It’s in the commonly asked questions at top of forum.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=565408
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

I would get a Mercury manual and learn to troubleshoot the thermostats and how to remove and clean the compressor strainer.

Would also find a reputable Mercury mechanic to address the powerhead gasket leak.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

With the impeller melting, assuming they correctly installed it, I would remove the impeller plate and shift housing and look for lodged debris in the cavity under pump housing/nose cone area.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

7. Member
    Has anyone seen an impeller “melt”? I’ve seen them chewed up from incorrect install but never melted. I assumed they are either neoprene or butadiene, two cross linked rubbers that can’t technically “melt”.

8. Member
    You get a plastic bag covering the water pickups yes at high RPM and no water it will melt.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by Jtreed99 View Post
    Has anyone seen an impeller “melt”? I’ve seen them chewed up from incorrect install but never melted. I assumed they are either neoprene or butadiene, two cross linked rubbers that can’t technically “melt”.
    Did they give you your old impeller? Just curious.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

10. Member
    I have. I’ve changed some before for an idiot that liked to start his engine in the parking lot,both before launching and after loading.He couldn’t figure out why he went through so many impellers.

11. Member
    yes i got the first impeller from the first change out and it looked perfect but i didn't get the melted one
    they said it was on my boat but before i left i did a double walk around to make sure it was all tied down right and ready to tow and never saw the yellow bag with the parts in it
    i called back as i was driving to the lake to test and they said they would look for it but never called me back
    Last edited by nightbite; 10-16-2020 at 12:13 AM.

12. Member
    i have never dry started my boat i grew up with boats and have never had a this issue while owning mine

13. Member
    i added serial number pic in first post. THANK YOU

14. Member
    So my question is why didn't the dealer check / clean the compressor strainer. Wouldn't you think that would be one of the first things that they check
    Am i crazy for being pissed for having a broken boat
    Why should i pay 900.00 dollars for a boat that is still not working correctly???

Quote Originally Posted by nightbite View Post
    i added serial number pic in first post. THANK YOU
    That's a part number, not a serial number (unless it's in the black section but I can't see any numbers there). Also, your motor is a 2.5L not a 3L so this isn't the correct forum, but Don will move it to the correct forum when he gets here.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

16. Member
    engine too high will fry one along with base and housing
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nightbite View Post
    i have never dry started my boat i grew up with boats and have never had a this issue while owning mine
    Nightbite,I wasn’t implying that you did,just relating an experience.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    Nightbite,I wasn’t implying that you did,just relating an experience.
    no worries i just want my boat fixed
    i have no problem paying to get my boat fixed
    but when they tell me its fixed twice and i take it right to the lake to test and its still doing the same thing i feel like they are not doing the job and i am being taken advance of.
    900 dollars down
    boat not fixed???
    has been in twice with zero results and just more questions

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

The photo is a PCM Tag (not an engine serial number).

Impellers melt due to lack of water supply. Very straightforward.

A powerhead gasket leak that is apparent OUTSIDE the powerhead likely also has a leak INSIDE the powerhead (and if leaking between the exhaust and water supply passages, it will cause a myriad of problems with the cooling system).

Same goes for the Adapter Plate gasket.

Unlikely that the dealer "caused" the gasket leaks. As for the melted impeller, all we can tell you is "why" it happens (not the when or the who).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

20. Member
    LOL, the serial number is at the top of the 1st post, not the thumbnail attachment picture. It is a picture of the sticker which contains the SN, Year and weight of the motor. (on the motor)

Unless he just uploaded to the post now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast