Todd Driscoll and Ken Smith Fishing

Is that our Todd Driscoll on Ken Smith Fishing talking about tracking bass?

2. Member
    Yep,
    Texas fisheries biologist and Lake Sam Rayburn stick.

3. Member
    Thanks. Busy man . Good information in that video. And thanks for all the invaluable information and help you provide on this forum. I for one truly appreciate it when people take time out of their busy day to help those of us just trying to figure it out.

Appreciate the kind words! The bass tracking/telemetry study we are doing has been challenging but informative (and a lot of fun too!). Ken will have 5 or so more videos coming where I share the data we have gathered so far.
    Garmin Pro Team

5. Member
    Can’t wait to see the rest of them.

Retired grass grower

ROCK CHALK

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Very informative video's.........
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

7. Member
    Agree, looking forward to the rest of the series.
    2023 Lund 2075 Pro V Bass XS
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 250 4S

8. Banned
    Todd

I saw the series where you talked about infusing oxygen into the water and how it basically eliminated the issues with fish deaths in warm water. I know the tournament catfish guys are required to do this in some of the large tournaments. I don't understand why some of the larger tournament trails don't make it mandatory?

Fantastic information in that series.

Quote Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
    Todd

I saw the series where you talked about infusing oxygen into the water and how it basically eliminated the issues with fish deaths in warm water. I know the tournament catfish guys are required to do this in some of the large tournaments. I don't understand why some of the larger tournament trails don't make it mandatory?

Fantastic information in that series.
    Yes, with the exception of hooking mortality (gill-hooked or gut hooked fish that die), nearly all fish deaths in tournaments are due to insufficient oxygen levels in livewells. Most of this mortality happens at warmer water temperatures (warmer water holds less oxygen and fish consume more oxygen due to higher metabolic levels). TPWD livewell trials have shown that livewell pumps cannot maintain ideal oxygen levels with heavier limits (15+ pounds and water temperatures at 80+ degrees). Pure oxygen injection via the system I discussed in those videos (100% oxygen) versus injecting air via the livewell pumps (21% oxygen) is the answer to oxygen-related livewell mortality.

I don't have a good answer as to why more tourney anglers haven't installed these systems. I promote them every chance I get. I'd say no more than 5-10% of tourney anglers here in my area (Sam Rayburn and Toledo Bend) are running them. Cost is part of it, but these systems can be purchased for around $300, so this isn't really a good excuse either.
    Garmin Pro Team

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    Yes, with the exception of hooking mortality (gill-hooked or gut hooked fish that die), nearly all fish deaths in tournaments are due to insufficient oxygen levels in livewells. Most of this mortality happens at warmer water temperatures (warmer water holds less oxygen and fish consume more oxygen due to higher metabolic levels). TPWD livewell trials have shown that livewell pumps cannot maintain ideal oxygen levels with heavier limits (15+ pounds and water temperatures at 80+ degrees). Pure oxygen injection via the system I discussed in those videos (100% oxygen) versus injecting air via the livewell pumps (21% oxygen) is the answer to oxygen-related livewell mortality.

I don't have a good answer as to why more tourney anglers haven't installed these systems. I promote them every chance I get. I'd say no more than 5-10% of tourney anglers here in my area (Sam Rayburn and Toledo Bend) are running them. Cost is part of it, but these systems can be purchased for around $300, so this isn't really a good excuse either.
    Yea if you are borrowing 80 K another $300 shouldn't matter. It needs to be mandontry for the pro's and it would trickle down quickly. Other species tournament anglers take much better care of their catch than bass tournament anglers do.

Thanks for all the fact based info. It's a nice change of pace :-)

11. Member
    You know Texas Parks and Wildlife could call for a rule change that would require tournaments/anglers to have these systems when the water conditions dictate a problem will occur. Especially if TPWD has the studies to back this up. Whats the difference of hauling a fish around all day in live well during the warmer months when this condition will result in the fish dying, than say shooting a deer during hunting season and leaving most of the meat to rot because you only remove the back straps. I know you cant do the latter in Texas. Another option would be to change the regulations to only allow paper tournaments during those months of the year.