Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Which pellet grill?

I’ve had a big steel keg for probably eight years, it’s finally getting to the point it needs to be replaced. for those of you who don’t know, it’s very similar to the big green egg. I actually like it very much, but I’m just getting to the point where I just set it and forget it, so I’m thinking about getting a pellet grill. I can’t say enough about my big steel keg, I’ve done a lot of cooks on it and it works great. All that said, I know Traeger is kind of the brand name, but what is a good pellet grill, what would you recommend and why? Thanks

2. Member
    I've only had my RecTec for a few months and have to say, it was worth every penny.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    I've only had my RecTec for a few months and have to say, it was worth every penny.
    which model?

I've got the RT 700 and have really enjoyed it so far. Very well made and precise temperature control. Which model depends on how much cooking space is needed as they all seem to use the same controller on the RecTecs.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhjr. View Post
    I've got the RT 700 and have really enjoyed it so far. Very well made and precise temperature control. Which model depends on how much cooking space is needed as they all seem to use the same controller on the RecTecs.
    does it put out plenty of smoke? That’s the only thing I’m having a hard time finding a info on. Thank you for the reply

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    which model?
    RT590

7. Member
    smoke daddys vertical pellet smoker.

Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    does it put out plenty of smoke? That’s the only thing I’m having a hard time finding a info on. Thank you for the reply
    Yes, especially with the temperature set from minimum to the mid 200's. Meat has a very noticeable smoke ring.

9. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Take a look at Pit Boss, I have an 820 Pro. Plenty of smoke, and the feature I love is a plate to slide out of the way to sear steaks. Allows for direct flame searing.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

10. Member
    I keep heading for the Rec Tec because of the obvious build quality, the Camp Chef has that sidekick which I think I would really use for the griddle and the pizza oven. (my grandkids love making pizzas, so I know I would use that pizza oven) After doing a lot of research, I found somebody with a Rec Tec RT590 that actually just attached the Camp Chef sidekick to it. I’m still going to do some research, but I have tore the Internet apart researching and I think the Rec Tec seems to make the best as far as a quality build, if I can add the Camp Chef sidekick to it it’s like the best of both worlds I think. The fact that you can put multiple turkeys or chickens on that RT590 makes me realize I don’t need a lot more space just to burn pellets keeping warm. I just don’t need anything bigger. Still looking for pros and cons to anybody that’s willing to offer. Thanks a lot

11. Member
    Smokin Brothers is awesome. Plus they are made in USA!!!!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkVarble View Post
    Smokin Brothers is awesome. Plus they are made in USA!!!!
    made in the USA goes along way with me, I promise you that. I will check them out. Thanks!!!!

13. Member
    I have 2 pit boss grills & have been very happy with them, 1 is about 3yrs old & the other is about 1.5 yrs old. For the money can't beat them. If money was no object I would have a Traeger timberline 1300. But can't justify $2,000 for a grill. Recently got a 36" blackstone griddle & am wearing it out, love it.

Just got my Recteq rt-700. Only had one cook on it so far. I've had smokers in the past and charcoal grills but this is a different animal. I'm going to have to learn to cook on it. I do like the app, I can monitor the temp, change temps, get alarms, recipes and light the grill from my phone. Just when cooking something that I normally cook on charcoal I've got to learn to and how much smoke to put on the meat before I turn it up to finish cooking. The quality is good and so far I like it!
    I BELIEVE!!!!

" A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

You'll Never see Traeger grills compared to Recteq. Best grill and customer service.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

17. Moderator
    I went with Pit Boss. Love it so far for cooking fish, chicken, pizza, just about anything, etc. Pulled pork and brisket, I am still old school and use a stick burner.

Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    Take a look at Pit Boss, I have an 820 Pro. Plenty of smoke, and the feature I love is a plate to slide out of the way to sear steaks. Allows for direct flame searing.

Same here

19. Member
    Also the same here with the 820 Pit Boss. Got a heck of a deal on an 820 pro so I bought it. Hundreds less than the competition and this thing Will flat out smoke and sear. Is it the best smoker, hell no but I took the extra cash and bought a 36” Blackstone griddle and now I’ve almost become a Hibachi Master Chef lol!!!

20. Member
    Pitts and spitts. Hand welded in Houston. 7guage steel. Pull out grates. Will last a lifetime. I own 2 one at the lake and one at the house. Grilla grills would be my choice over rec trek . I have the small chimp for tailgating. I started with a Pitt boss a few years ago, updated the controller to a savanah stoker pid and it does well. If you are going to use it a lot the cost of grill pales vs the cost of protein over time. Good luck. JD
    2020 BCB Lynx 300 pro xs 4s
    2013 BCB Puma 250 pro xs
    WPS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast