Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The best MACT Compliant Birdsong Adhesive we can buy, and it is suggested by the carpet manufacturer. No, it’s not nearly as good though we legally can’t use Weldwood contact cement.

BCB

2. Member
    Dap original weld wood. Will make life easier.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffie View Post
    How difficult is it to remove carpet and clean up old glue when Weldwood is used?
    Not too bad, not exactly easy though. A DA sander with 32grit paper will take it off, but be very careful not to remove boat parts! Lol

You can soak the old glue with some Various forms of solvent or light oils (WD40), and the glue will slip right off. Then you can clean the boat with acetone and the new glue will adhere.

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    You can soak the old glue with some Various forms of solvent or light oils (WD40), and the glue will slip right off. Then you can clean the boat with acetone and the new glue will adhere.
    Do it outside in a well ventilated area and wear a mask. It is highly flammable.

6. Member
    So many recommendations for DAP Weldwood, I think I'll go this route. I don't have a paint spray gun, so what is the best way to apply it without one? Does it need to be troweled after you spread it on? Do I put a coat on the boat and the carpet, or just the boat?

7. Member
    I used a roller, and put a coat on boat deck and carpet. Let it tack up for 20 min and then set it down. Don’t go too heavy on glue on the carpet Or it will soak through. Lay it down perfect the first time with a few helpful hands, nap going the correct way. Fit and check everything before you commit to it. Once down use a roller to work out bubbles. Old books or wood on top to put a little pressure on it as it dries.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by r83srock View Post
    I used a roller, and put a coat on boat deck and carpet. Let it tack up for 20 min and then set it down. Don’t go too heavy on glue on the carpet Or it will soak through. Lay it down perfect the first time with a few helpful hands, nap going the correct way. Fit and check everything before you commit to it. Once down use a roller to work out bubbles. Old books or wood on top to put a little pressure on it as it dries.
    Thanks! Sorry, but a couple more questions. Do you put a fairly thick coat on the deck, or a thinner coat? Once you lay it down (before rolling out bubbles), can it be adjusted at all, or does it have to be perfect? Lastly, what is the drying time?

9. Member
    A coat of the Weldwood contact cement on the boat, a coat on the carpet back. Once they are placed together there is no adjustment. BCB's statement that they would use Weldwood contact cement if they could says a lot about the quality of the product. Since I was working alone I was worried about not getting things just right; no adjustments. That's why I used the Henry's 263. I did use Weldwood on the lid edges; again because once I applied the Weldwood and rolled the carpet around the edges, it was done. No clamping necessary.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    Thanks! Sorry, but a couple more questions. Do you put a fairly thick coat on the deck, or a thinner coat? Once you lay it down (before rolling out bubbles), can it be adjusted at all, or does it have to be perfect? Lastly, what is the drying time?
    No problem at all. As stated by others, you cannot adjust it once it’s down. I would do a little thicker on the deck, that should be fine. I’ll be honest with you, when I did the front deck piece I glued both sides and put it down. I was able to adjust it then, but I ended up getting a bubble or two, which have gone away with time, I’ve had no issues with a solid year on it. I’m also super anal about it now, I don’t even fish in the rain anymore lol.

Anyway, the back deck I did last, and that I did let tack up. Once it was on it was done, which was good because that piece was much harder to work with.

11. Member
    Which DAP Weldwood? Contact Cement or All weather Outdoor carpet adhesive for the lid edges??

Quote Originally Posted by StetsonBasser View Post
    Which DAP Weldwood? Contact Cement or All weather Outdoor carpet adhesive for the lid edges??
    The contact cement in the red can. Apply to both pieces using a brush. Wait till it gets tacky and then start rolling the carpet over the edge evenly. Once it sticks its on there so make sure all your cuts are done first.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

13. Member
    I used the Henry product and after six years it broke down and turned to dust. Boat was garage kept. Very disappointed.
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    I'm sure this has been addressed before, but I'm going to be re-carpeting my older Ranger boat and am looking for a good carpet glue to use. I know I need to avoid using any water-based glue since I'm putting the carpet over fiberglass. What have you guys used and been happy with?
    What brand, type and weight of carpeting are you going to use? I’ve been looking at recarpeting my 97 ranger and have had difficulty finding anything suitable.

15. Member
    I recently did my basscat puma. it's a chore. I used dap wildwood and hard to reach places 3m spray. both worked excellent and very pleased.

16. Member
    League City, TX/Lake Sam Rayburn (Rayburn Country)
    Loctite spray, the high end one that’s a web spray. The better spray adhesives are web spray. Goes on like spider web. Way better than the water based carpet glue in my opinion.

17. Member
    weldwood! nothing else

We were suggesting DAP Weldwood on these forums before anyone else and we were using it at that time. Back in those pre-MACT days it was manufactured by Roberts Consolidated Industries. Today it’s a DAP product and it is a little different and more forgiving than the pre-2004 version. Todays doesn’t dry as dry-tack as the older version, and it’s more rubbery in texture. We are sure they changed the formula from those days also.

To apply it squeegee to carpet with a decal squeegee or cardboard, and brush the carpeting with an inexpensive 3” or 4” horse hair brush. We don’t use spray guns today and we don’t plan on it. The quality of a thicker glue dispersion is better adhering. Spray guns are intended to save labor, material, and ease application. Brush and squeegee are thinker and offer more contact.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WWDIII View Post
    Loctite spray, the high end one that’s a web spray. The better spray adhesives are web spray. Goes on like spider web. Way better than the water based carpet glue in my opinion.
    100% agree. Prep the surface right and make sure all is snug/weighted.

20. Member
    If using contact cement, do yourself a favor and pick up a floor roller. It helps get a great bond. While making final contact with both surfaces, use the roller as you mate them together. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Marshalltow...ler/5001498783

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast