Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

boat carpet glue

I'm sure this has been addressed before, but I'm going to be re-carpeting my older Ranger boat and am looking for a good carpet glue to use. I know I need to avoid using any water-based glue since I'm putting the carpet over fiberglass. What have you guys used and been happy with?

2. Member
    Dap weldwood.

loctite in spray can

4. Member
    Henry 663 gives you plenty of work time
    weldwood cement on the lid edges
    loctite spray on side panels of carpet
    Bobby Patton

5. Member
    Use Henry 663 on the flat surfaces and weld wood around the flaps on the locker lids. I’ve recarpeted several boats and it’s the best I’ve found. The problem with contact cement is that it’s instant,if the carpet isn’t placed right the first time you will pull the backing off to reposition. Apply the Henry with a toothed trowel,1/8-1/4” teeth.

6. Member
    Henrys is my choice also. Carpet was one of my covid projects20200412_165324.jpg20200506_215509.jpg

7. Member
    Thanks guys! I'll pick up some of the Henry 663 and loctite spray. I have new compartment lids coming from Ranger and they are already carpeted, so I won't have to worry about doing anything with the lids.

8. Member
    Check Henry's 263. It is solvent based rather than water based. It must be used in a well ventilated area, like outside. I've read where water based glues can lift after prolonged water exposure. I've used Henry's 263 for two boats and a friend for one. You could ask the guys in the "Bassboat Restoration" forum on BBC. They have lots of information that I found helpful.
    Last edited by BRADVAN; 10-15-2020 at 08:38 AM. Reason: additional information

9. Member
    Is Henry's 663 water-based? I checked on their website and don't see anything that says it is. After reading multiple posts from people saying to avoid using anything water-based, I want to steer clear of it.

10. Member
    I carpeted my boat 3 years ago with the 663 glue and have had no problems have been caught in several rain storms
    Bobby Patton

For the big flat areas on the boat decks and lids I used marine carpet glue and put it down with a trowel, let dry and then I used 3M High Strength 90 spray glue on the lid edges. Using paint sticks and clamps to hold in place until dry. Worked good for me and it's been 10 years plus.

12. Member
    On Henry's website they say that 263 is "Waterproof after 2 hours ", 663 is "Water-resistant after 5 days ".

13. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Dap weldwood period

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    Dap weldwood period
    This. Unless you can get commercial Landau Top cement. Use a paint gun and spray an even layer to each surface (boat and carpet), let it set up for a couple minutes, and stick it once and lasts till the carpet rots off. Lol.

15. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen View Post
    This. Unless you can get commercial Landau Top cement. Use a paint gun and spray an even layer to each surface (boat and carpet), let it set up for a couple minutes, and stick it once and lasts till the carpet rots off. Lol.
    Yes sir exactly correct

16. Member
    weldwood!!

We have suggested DAP Weldwood for decades and we would use this ourselves if we could. The EPA regulations prevent us from using this since 2004 due to the EPA MACT standard regulations. We did use only Weldwood prior to 2004.

BCB

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    We have suggested DAP Weldwood for decades and we would use this ourselves if we could. The EPA regulations prevent us from using this since 2004 due to the EPA MACT standard regulations. We did use only Weldwood prior to 2004.

BCB
    This would be good as gold of a recommendation I’d say.

19. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post

BCB

What are you using now?

20. Member
    How difficult is it to remove carpet and clean up old glue when Weldwood is used?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast