M360...New Issue

Please assume I don’t have a power supply issue, everything is wired directly to a fairly new Optima PC2150 G31. All head units display over 12v while operating.

The issue:

When disconnecting from Spot Lock by stepping on my Ultrex foot pedal, the M360 will freeze and half the time reboot the Helix 12 MDI+. I also have a second Helix 9 at the bow that is not affected. I can avoid the freezing/rebooting by manually turning off the i-Pilot with the pedal switch prior to stepping on the Ultrex pedal. I have tried putting the Helix in standby before coming off Spot Lock as described above. When I wake the Helix the M360 screen is frozen.

Thanks in advance for any ideas of what is going on as I can’t figure out how coming off Spot Lock freezes/reboots the Helix.
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

2. Member
    Mine did this as well. Updated to 2.280 and it hasn't happened since.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler82284 View Post
    Mine did this as well. Updated to 2.280 and it hasn't happened since.
    My units are all updated with 2.280 and no freezing before the update. I’m not an electrical engineer and just cannot understand the relationship of Spot Lock and the Helix.

4. Member
    That's interesting.

I'm with ya, very confusing issue. I thought it might be an ethernet issue in my case (iPilot Link.) Strangest thing to hit the foot pedal and see a graph restart. Typical Humminbird make you scratch your head type of issue.....

Looking at your original comments, in my case before the update, I was able to put my graph on standby when I came off spot lock and it would stay running.

5. Member
    It would seem to fall under another Ultrex interference issue.

6. Member
    Another interesting "Ultrex interference issue" I had...Posted on here about interference issues I couldn't get worked out. Confident in how I routed cables and wiring. Played with the different sonar filter settings that were recommended. After updating to 2.280, and playing with the filter settings again, interference magically disappeared. A software update made my TM interference go away. I'm tickled, I just don't get it!

I think I will call HB and see what they say after they tell me they have never heard of this issue before. I’ve been trying to walk this thru mentally, but stay confused. The Ultrex is powered by my 3 Trojan lead acids with only the I-pilot communicating with the Trojans thru the Ultrex (not sure about this). I have the Optima AGM disconnected from the DualPro onboard charger. The Ethernet switch is powered on a totally different bus bar from the two bow head units, but originate from the same AGM.

This electrical stuff is tricky.

UPDATE:

HB customer service rep after consulting with tech group did say they have never heard of the above issue. They did give me a couple things to try and if those 2 suggestions don’t work, I’m to send in the head unit. First instruction is to take the MDI+ off the network and see if the unit continues to freeze/reboot coming off Spot Lock. If it does freeze, I’m then supposed to wipe all data from the MDI+. If all that doesn’t solve the problem, I’m to send the MDI+ back to Eufaula. This would be the fourth time counting all the other issues I have had with this problem child. So far, my other two Helix have performed perfectly.
    Last edited by Sirius Rich; 10-15-2020 at 09:03 PM.

Before you send it back you might try a couple other things to see what happens and maybe narrow down the issue

If I understand you correctly it does not freeze when you use the button to turn off the spotlock but does freeze when you force a disengagement of spotlock by stepping on the pedal

Have you ever tried using the remote to see if you can recreate the issue by forcing a disengagement of spotlock by increasing the speed?

Am I correct in assuming the 2 Helix units at the bow are networked with the Ultrex?

Have you tried disconnecting the network and eithernet cables just to see if that effects it?

In my opinion you still haven’t ruled out the possibility that the motor is the issue since it is the catalyst for this issue and the Helix freezing may just be a symptom

By powering off the network and disconnecting the eithernet cables you are eliminating any direct connection to the motor

I would even consider dismounting the M360 from the motor so you have no physical connection at all

One last thing is if you have a "Jump Switch" and if it is not connected to the correct trolling motor battery you would have a difference in voltage between the trolling motor and cranking battery and may cause a spike when the spotlock is force to disengage

Remember the M360 has a wet switch and if you have a voltage issue between the trolling motor power source and the power source for the helix this would most likely cause issues like this
    Last edited by MichAngler; 10-16-2020 at 10:20 AM.
    "The handicapped angler"

MichAngler,

I appreciate your input and will add your suggestions to those of HB tech services. I haven’t tried shutting down Spot Lock with the remote yet or removing the MDI+ from the network. My jump switch is wired correctly. One thing I just thought about is to exchange the MSI+ on the console with the MDI+ that is connected to the M360 transducer at the bow. The second Helix on the bow is a G2 unit. Should the MSI+ not have the freezing issue that would tell me the MDI+ is more than likely the problem.

I’m headed to the lake this coming Wednesday and will update this post with any results.