Thread: Drop shot rod

Drop shot rod

Been looking to change directions and try another brand name. Always been a powell guy. Looking for something below the $200 range. A drop shot rod. Was looking at ALX rods and phenix rods. Any input on these type of spinning rods is much appreciated. Thank you.

2. Member
    Was looking at phenix recon 7'2" light.

3. Member
    Only hearsay, but I've read Phenix rods fish light and you should go up one power.

I've been thinking about trying a drop shot in my area to see if it would help me catch a few fish. Did a little research the other day. Confused more now than I was before researching. One pro said his standard weight is 3/32 oz., but he will drop down to 1/16-1/8 oz. or go up to 1/4 oz. depending on conditions. The next article I read by a pro said his go to weight is 3/8 oz. He will drop down to 1/4 oz. or up to 1/2 oz.

AFAIC best results for those two guys would be achieved with 2 different power rods. Sounds like you will be fishing like the first pro. So would I. Will be watching to see what suggestions you get.

4. Member
    In that price range there are 3 rod lines that I would recommend.. the tatula , kage and a bit above ur 200 dollar price point comes ALX rods.. all great 200 dollar options that I promise punch in way above their price point
    07 tracker TX 190
    75 horse Mercury
    999 KVD, 859 , and 798 SI HD

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot17 View Post
    Been looking to change directions and try another brand name. Always been a powell guy. Looking for something below the $200 range. A drop shot rod. Was looking at ALX rods and phenix rods. Any input on these type of spinning rods is much appreciated. Thank you.
    Daiwa Rebellion 7'ML.

You plan to fish is straight fluoro or braid to fluoro for drop shot?

7. Member
    Braid to flouro.

Braid to flouro.
    I like the Dobyns Sierra 702 SF in that price range

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by new2BC4bass View Post
    Only hearsay, but I've read Phenix rods fish light and you should go up one power.

I've been thinking about trying a drop shot in my area to see if it would help me catch a few fish. Did a little research the other day. Confused more now than I was before researching. One pro said his standard weight is 3/32 oz., but he will drop down to 1/16-1/8 oz. or go up to 1/4 oz. depending on conditions. The next article I read by a pro said his go to weight is 3/8 oz. He will drop down to 1/4 oz. or up to 1/2 oz.

AFAIC best results for those two guys would be achieved with 2 different power rods. Sounds like you will be fishing like the first pro. So would I. Will be watching to see what suggestions you get.

Two schools of thought on this- use a heavier weight helps keep the bait in place and just work the bait without moving the weight. Other is that the light weight has slower fall which is what the fish want sometime. I just go with 1/4 unless it is really windy and then go up to 3/8.

On Phenix, I just got my first feather and it is definitely one full power overstated. Absolutely great rod.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post
    Two schools of thought on this- use a heavier weight helps keep the bait in place and just work the bait without moving the weight. Other is that the light weight has slower fall which is what the fish want sometime. I just go with 1/4 unless it is really windy and then go up to 3/8.

On Phenix, I just got my first feather and it is definitely one full power overstated. Absolutely great rod.
    What do you mean by 'one full power'? One power down than what it says or one power up?

11. Member
    If your using braid to flouro. then you really don't need a 200$ rod. You could get rod reel line and hooks for about 150$ braid makes a cheaper rod " fancy" any rod rated light or med lt. Pick your length.
    I currently use an all star med light TX40 tenn handle med light 6-6. Bought new in 1997. 5 or 6# sniper. Size 1 mosquito hook 1/8 weight. Great lightweight sensitive set up.
    I have been looking at the TFO walleye rods. They got some drop shot potential. I already have a Tfo drop shot rod, 6-10, very nice.

12. Member
    I usually run 10 or 15lb. braid to 6 or 8 lb flouro. Most times I'm throwing 3/16 to 1/4 oz. Thank you very much for the responses, very useful information. Anyone else wants to chime in feel free.

13. Member
    I fish a river system so I use a heavier weight because of the current. I want to get to the bottom fast because that's where most of the smallmouth bass are even in shallow water. They're eating gobies. I use 3/8 oz or 1/2oz. Weight does not matter when the sinker is on the bottom. One thing that I fell is important is to use a rod that was made for drop shotting, not a general purpose rod. The action is different. I use a G.Loomis EX6 822DSR rod or a Shimano Crucial Medium action Drop shot rod most of the time.

14. Member
    What do you mean by 'one full power'? One power down than what it says or one power up?
    He’s saying the rod is one power weaker than what it’s rated at. So if you like a medium/light drop shot rod, get a medium if you go with the Phenix

15. Member
    Thanks basscat tyler, I'll definitely take a look at them. They look like a pretty sweet rod. For now I just found my local specialty tackle shop had a Powell 7'3" endurance med light in stock for 129.00 so it was kinda hard to pass up for that price but I definitely wouldn't mind trying to branch out to some other brands like daiwa, phenix, dobyns, etc.

16. Member
    The Daiwa Tatula 6’10” medium is an excellent drop shot rod for the price also. I feel like it’s closer to to a medium/light

I’ll add to the Phenix recommendations. And yes, go 1 power heavier with Phenix than you would with others. The 7’1” medium Feather is an incredible, incredible stick for the money. Perfect for drop shotting and a lot more. That whole series of rods fishes as well as rods costing 2-3 times as much.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360