2.5L Optimax water pump replacement

Here’s how I do the Optimax 2.5L water pump. Recommended service interval is annually or every 100hrs whichever comes first, if you fish/boat in dirty or debris laden water, you may need to service more often. I highly recommend a genuine Mercury service manual, if you don’t have one, support those who help us and order one from European Marine.

For water pump service I leave engine in neutral be sure you do not rotate engine or driveshaft during removal you will see why shortly.

Remove the lower unit, there are 5 nuts, 3 of which are visible from the top, one at nose and one each side

nuts.jpg

and two below on the aft end of lower unit.

bottom.jpg

There are also 2 bolts, one that attaches the round anode plate, pop plastic cover off to access, and another under the plate (pic was blurry so will add later). You will have to depress the black plastic ring on the Legris fitting to remove the pitot tube.

With the lower unit supported so you can work freely, the very first thing I do is clean the driveshaft just above the housing with lacquer thinner, acetone, Brakleen or other suitable solvent. Once the solvent dries take a Sharpie and make a mark directly in line with the front stud and/or onto pump housing.

index.jpg

Now remove the 3 nuts, one screw, and lift housing off impeller. Slide the old impeller off, save the key (or use the new one if you bought a complete kit), then remove the plate and both gaskets.

housingoff.jpg

Next step is to remove the pump base under which you’ll find the 3rd gasket, it takes some wiggling but isn’t difficult to remove. There’s a ledge at the rear of the pump base I use a right angle pick tool to lift same time I work the front with a flat blade screwdriver.

ledge.jpg

Clean and inspect the pump base, plate, and pump liner. If the plate

plate.jpg

and insert

insert.jpg

are not scored, they are fine to reuse (those pictured are on their 3rd season). Don't be concerned about marks at center where the impeller contacts plate and insert.

Replace the o-ring and lubricate lightly before reinstalling pump base.

o-ring.jpg

Install the new bottom gasket followed by the base. Just as with removal, it takes a little effort, a ½” wooden dowel or hardwood block with a clean square edge can be used to lightly tap base down as the new o-ring will be tight.

baseinstalled.jpg

Once the base is fully seated, assemble the top side, gasket, plate, gasket. Next, I liberally lube the pump insert with liquid dishwashing soap. Dawn is often mentioned but in reality, any viscous liquid dishwashing soap will work and I have used others with equal success. Slide the impeller onto the driveshaft, hold the key in place, align the slot, and slide impeller down until it seats against the plate. Next slide the housing down the driveshaft until it just contacts the impeller and while placing pressure on top of the pump housing rotate the driveshaft in a clockwise direction, it should seat within a turn or two. Align your index mark, if you have not rotated engine, the lower unit will slide in effortlessly.

finished.jpg

Install cover nuts (torque to 48.6in lb) and the screw (torque to 35in lb).

Rotate driveshaft clockwise so the index mark lines up with the front stud and you’ll be assured the driveshaft and crank splines will be perfectly lined up when you stab the lower unit. Before reinstalling, clean any old grease from the drive and shift shaft splines, re-apply a light coating on both making certain to wipe any excess off the top of both and don't forget to run a bead of high temp silicone on the divider behind the pump base, very important!!

I install the water tube in the engine first, makes it easier for me to line up with the pump than at bottom of powerhead. Ensure shift rod lines up with shift shaft as you raise lower unit (don’t forget to insert water pressure line in the Legris fitting). Lift lower unit as far as possible then run top 3 nuts down to hold lower while you finish. I’ll pull lower most of the way up, alternately snugging the first 3 nuts, thread on the 2 nuts at rear, and then tighten all. Install the bolt under the anode plate then torque all fasteners (a 16mm torque adapter is required for the two nuts on either side of the lower) as follows – all nuts 50ft lb, bolt under anode plate, 27.5ft lb, and anode plate retaining bolt – 25ft lb. Snap plastic cover on after torquing anode retaining bolt and you're done.
    Last edited by SilverFox579; 10-14-2020 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Correction
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

2. Banned
    European, can we make this into a sticky under FAQ at top of thread

3. Member
    +1^^^^^ FOX
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    That's why I posted it fellas, hope Don feels it's worthy.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Member
    ++2
    ‘04 SeaPro 206CC, ‘04 175 Optimax DFI #OT922039

6. Member
    Excellent tutorial Silverfox!

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Pinned in the FAQ on this forum.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Good morning,
    I have a 2001 Merc 150XR6 that I just did my first water pump replacement on by following SilverFox excellent instructions. Thank you for that. I disassembled in neutral and everything went back together with no problem, gave it a test run with the water muffs on and plenty of flow out of the Telltale. But when I tried to shift into forward and reverse to make sure they would both engage - -I got nothing. Still stuck in neutral. Getting ready to take the Lower Unit back off, but any suggestions about how to proceed from there? I did rotate the driveshaft 2-3 revolutions to engage the impeller as described in this guide, but did not touch the shift shaft (or thought I didn't). Any help would be appreciated!

9. Member
    you need to align /engage lower and upper shift shaft ,small splined one right at front male and female ends on those
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

10. Member
    Thanks for the help. Turns out that you can install the lower unit and totally miss engaging the shift shaft. Duh. removed, reinstalled, and all is good!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner4545 View Post
    Thanks for the help. Turns out that you can install the lower unit and totally miss engaging the shift shaft. Duh. removed, reinstalled, and all is good!
    Definitely, have done it couple of times, the shift shaft is the hardest thing for me to align while pushing gearcase back in.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

12. Member
    ^^^^^^^^^+1

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    Definitely, have done it couple of times, the shift shaft is the hardest thing for me to align while pushing gearcase back in.
    Whatever you do, never force it. The female cup on the end of the shift shaft is pot metal, or some pretty bad aluminum. Breaking the female cup leads to a bad day. Need to remove the power head in order to replace the shift shaft.

14. Member
    ^^^^ yep never

15. Member
    I definitely don’t force it, I figure just about anything being aligned putting the gear case on either will slide together with not too much force, if you’re forcing it it’s not right. The good thing with the shift shaft coupler is you can fairly well see it as you align it, problem is it’s a small gap for my fat fingers to reach it and hope it stays when I let go. But I’ve done it enough now that it’s not too hard anymore.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

16. Member
    They’re a plastic tube on my 2.5 that comes out of the pump housing and slides over the copper tube in the mid section. It’s a loose fit, should there be a seal or should you use silicone or something there?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell0347 View Post
    They’re a plastic tube on my 2.5 that comes out of the pump housing and slides over the copper tube in the mid section. It’s a loose fit, should there be a seal or should you use silicone or something there?
    No to both.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That loose plastic tube is merely a GUIDE to help you locate the water tube into the outlet of the water pump.

The seal is actually inside the water pump outlet (rubber seal... should be lightly lubricated before installing gearcase).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor