Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    Even a regular vest is worthless in a high speed ejection, unless you actually fastened the leg straps. Your vest has leg straps doesn't it?
    Wash your hands and say your prayers, cause Jesus and germs are everywhere.

Hey dig.....mentioned that to my wife. Can't repeat in mixed company, LOL.

What most people don't realize is how much these vest can deteriorate over time. Most, & I emphasize most, traditional vest are foam filled. Over time this foam will compress to the point that there is little or no buoyancy. Even Mustang says to check the vest, regardless of type, at least once a year. The H.I.T. Mustang supposed to be maintenance free for 5 years, that's great if that really works & also for hitting the water at 100 mph......You better have a good vest, leg straps and all, & be in top condition when you hit that water at that speed. Hitting the water at 70-80 mph is like hitting a brick wall. I haven't found out why it is but that's the warranty on it. My wife's is not covered like that, even though it is the same type. It normally takes 7 1/2 pounds of bouyancy to keep the average size person's head above water. Most vest will do that if you're conscious & inflatables will do that if you're not. Now if you want to say your vest will, that's up to you. Mustang says their SAR vest will do it, maybe so. I've never found an unconscious person to test any of them. If the H.I.T. & SAR's vest is too expensive ( and they are expensive) you can still get the inflatable vest with the removable co2 to check the bobbin without having to replace the co2 canister. Although humidity & rain still plays an important factor in the reliability of it. But they are lower priced and darn well worth it. Just my 2 cents and in today's economy is only worth about $.5 cents.

4. Member
    Originally Posted by digthemup
    You know that you can test them in a regular full bathtub. So, you can draw a nice warm tub of water for her with a few candles and a large glass of wine and get testing!

You know, I mentioned that to her some time back. I can't repeat her comment in mixed company, lol. But in summary her response to me was, "you do it".

Oh well, just trying to help. Keep trying you never know, may be go with tequila , there is a song that says it makes her cloths fall off.

5. Member
    I think using an inflatable while fishing the front deck in rough water or current is the most comfortable way to do it.
    If you fall in you can always manually inflate it.

While running the big engine a quality non-inflatable is a no brainer.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    What most people don't realize is how much these vest can deteriorate over time. Most, & I emphasize most, traditional vest are foam filled. Over time this foam will compress to the point that there is little or no buoyancy. Even Mustang says to check the vest, regardless of type, at least once a year. The H.I.T. Mustang supposed to be maintenance free for 5 years, that's great if that really works & also for hitting the water at 100 mph......You better have a good vest, leg straps and all, & be in top condition when you hit that water at that speed. Hitting the water at 70-80 mph is like hitting a brick wall. I haven't found out why it is but that's the warranty on it. My wife's is not covered like that, even though it is the same type. It normally takes 7 1/2 pounds of bouyancy to keep the average size person's head above water. Most vest will do that if you're conscious & inflatables will do that if you're not. Now if you want to say your vest will, that's up to you. Mustang says their SAR vest will do it, maybe so. I've never found an unconscious person to test any of them. If the H.I.T. & SAR's vest is too expensive ( and they are expensive) you can still get the inflatable vest with the removable co2 to check the bobbin without having to replace the co2 canister. Although humidity & rain still plays an important factor in the reliability of it. But they are lower priced and darn well worth it. Just my 2 cents and in today's economy is only worth about $.5 cents.

The ink on the label on inside of PFD that lists type, size etc is designed to fade. Once it begins to fade you are supposed to dispose of that PFD. Yiu can be ticketed if that label is faded out. It pertains to all type PFDs.

That is something I've never heard Mark. Leave one in the bottom of your boat or on a seat in the sun & see how fast it will fade. I do know that they will fade but a lot of that is how you take care of them. Most, and again I use the term "most" loosely, people usually just toss the jackets, whatever kind makes no difference, in the floor of their boats or a compartment. Doesn't matter if they are wet or dry. Very few that I know of have ever cleaned or washed the jackets. Actually they should be washed with a mild soap & water, put on a hanger to dry with nothing against them. Never put one in a dryer or the direct sunlight to dry. The vest itself never expires, it the material within it that does. The foam & the outside material will deteriorate over time. This applies to an inflatable also. That's just a few reasons the manufacture tells you to check the vest at least once a year and are emphatic about it every 5 years. Mustang warrants their H.I.T. vest for 5 years, after that you're on your on. My old SoSpenders is the Navy blue ( very dark blue) and the label is not faded at all. And believe me, this is well over 5 years. I have never left mine in my boat at all. Mine are in a closet in the house when not used. About every 3 month, give or take a few days, I wash mine, rinse with running water, and let dry. Don't ever throw a wet or damp vest in the boat or compartment. Mold & mildew will ruin it. Most people take care of the rods & reels better that their vest. I will say this, and probably get yelled at, you pay for what you get. Buy a cheap jacket and that's exactly what you have. Not saying to buy the most expensive, just a quality one. And above all, take care of it.

8. Member
    I fish on Lake Erie until the boat ramps freeze up here in Michigan. I have a Mustang HIT and have replaced the co2 cartridge once, but like many I can honestly say that I have never tested it in the water. I have since bought a pair of these jackets and bibs for fishing in the colder waters, not only do they float, they are extremely warm.

https://strikerbrands.com/collection...rdwater-jacket

Looks like a really nice outfit.

10. Member
    Ive been in the drink twice. Cold water both times. Spinlock DeckVest Lite. Worked like a charm both times. Couple things. He didn't really submerge the entire vest for long. He immediately pulled himself up so the inflation device was likely above water or close to that point. Automatic PFD's need water to go through the outer material and then upwards. They don't inflate with water going downwards. Due to him not being submerged for long the water possibly would not have had long enough to get into the device. Also, it looked as if his pfd was maybe manual as it didn't inflate until he pulled the cord. There are manual only inflatables, auto only inflatables and some that can do both like the Spinlock which btw has the highest flotation rating (floats you higher) than all the other brands. You can nit judge the reliability of an inflatable pfd by this video. If they were not safe to use they would not be made and or at least not USCG rated.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234