Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    To many stories of vests not going off when thrown overboard. I know a couple personally. reg vest for me

2. TJNYSNP
    I like the feel of wearing one ALL DAY fishing that i have the ability to pull the cord and have a vest in cold water if i get thrown off by a wake i didn't expect.... but running, definitely wear a regular one ...

Quote Originally Posted by mohawkman View Post
    I like the feel of wearing one ALL DAY fishing that i have the ability to pull the cord and have a vest in cold water if i get thrown off by a wake i didn't expect.... but running, definitely wear a regular one ...
    I still wear the Mustangs they sent me to replace the faulty one that put me in a very bad situation , but I swear I'll remember that the vest has a pull cord , I didn't think about it as I was headed down , only thing on my mind was get to surface . I never did pull it because I only remembered pull handle back at dock , and I sent the the vest back to mustang as directed by them .

4. Member
    I am 66 and fish alone most of the time. Three or four years ago, I purchased a Mustang HIT and convinced 2 of my fishing friends to do the same, as they fish alone a lot as well. I wear it 100% of the time I am on the water. I am very uncomfortable wearing a normal one, so I figure having one that probably works and I know I will wear is better than having one than I probably won't wear but will work 100% of the time.

On the same issue, I don't trust myself to keep my Mustang functional. Is there anyone, like BPS, that you can take them to and they will check and recharge if needed. Due to the nature of the inflation device, I don't think they can be shipped anywhere for this service.

Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    I am 66 and fish alone most of the time. Three or four years ago, I purchased a Mustang HIT and convinced 2 of my fishing friends to do the same, as they fish alone a lot as well. I wear it 100% of the time I am on the water. I am very uncomfortable wearing a normal one, so I figure having one that probably works and I know I will wear is better than having one than I probably won't wear but will work 100% of the time.

On the same issue, I don't trust myself to keep my Mustang functional. Is there anyone, like BPS, that you can take them to and they will check and recharge if needed. Due to the nature of the inflation device, I don't think they can be shipped anywhere for this service.
    I still wear one like failed me but kinda figure it will not happen again . Also my issue was stepping up to front deck and fixed that with an awesome stainless assist handle , and I am very careful now , I am 68 and realize I'm just clumsy .

6. Member
    Both have pros and cons but anything mechanical does have the potential to fail. And for me if there is a chance I might be in the water for an extended period of time before help arrives I would feel better with a conventional type vest. Just me.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WjColdWater View Post
    Yep me also. Fishing solo in sub 40 deg water temps is nothing to mess with. A standard vest for me year round is the only sure bet. At 62 I need every advantage for a self rescue if the occasion arises. Wool and bibs are not your friend in the water. And if I don’t make it I want it easy for first responders to find the body.
    In sub 40 water temps you will reach hypothermia (<94 body temp rectal) within 20 min, and the rest of the clothing with help pull you down.
    Simple suggesting, stay off the water in those temps and go hunting instead, since the bite suck anyway.
    mikesexpress had the best life vest hands down including the EPIRB.

Hey guys, any life jacket is better than none. It's personal preference what you wear. Mustang, Onyx, SoSpenders are good, as other are I'm sure. The Mustang survival vest is good & if I was going to wear a vest type, it would be that one. Again, personal preference. I'm sure there are others just as good. Someone asked how to check an inflatable. Most have a tube that you can manually inflate to test if it holds air. This is also there to inflate manually in case it doesn't. You can manually inflate it with the tube, let sit for about 10 minutes or so. If it stays inflated that good. If not you have a hole, cut, etc somewhere. To inspect the bobbins (green or yellow). check for deterioration of any kind such as rounded edges, not level or perfectly round, etc. Some even have a gasket , so check that too. The co2 cylinder should have the amount of grams on it. Weigh it on a scale such as a postal scale. If it has less than listed, it's no good. I heard throughout the years, mine was new & didn't work. I asked many of them, "did you test or check it before you used it?" And of course it was, " No, it was new". You ever wonder how long that store had that vest on their rack, ever check the arming kit when sold, or how long it sat in a hot warehouse before shipping. Very few, if any, I'm sure. If you don't check these regularly, then you have no-one or nothing to blame but yourself. Most will lay the blame on the vest, not themselves. I check my wife's & mine regularly, I know they work but anything man makes, can fail, and does most of the time. I carry the rearm kits in my boat just in case. Oh, and make sure you get the right rearm kit for your vest. Above all, be safe.
    Last edited by tracer1; 10-25-2020 at 06:15 PM.

9. Member
    Tracer1
    How good is the manual deployment 1 if you are knocked out by hitting your head on fall? It's not about what make is better, but as Mike pointed out, some types are better for fishing by yourself applications. However, I do agree that any none inflatable is better than no PFD, but an inflatable that does not work is as useless as tits on a bull.
    According to Stearns, you cannot remove the cartridge once installed, and best way of testing is to submerge the vest in water by you jumping in with it and test the time it takes to deploy.
    Replace the cartridge with new 1 and fold vest correctly as shown.

If you are knocked out, the manual deployment is no good. You have to be conscious, naturally, to inflate it. I can't & I don't believe anyone can guarantee the inflatable will or will not work. Now I'm talking about the auto inflatable not the manual. To me (and again just my opinion) I would not have a manual in my boat. I can't see the rationale of it. As far as checking the arming kit I do know Mustang has the removable co2 once installed. There may be others but I haven't kept up with them over the years. My wife has the Mustang & I am still using the SoSpenders I have had for years. It has inflated Once in a boat compartment, 1 in the lake,, 1 time while my good fishing friend was wearing mine while running in his boat. Like to gave him a heart attack. Has always worked but I rearm them quite often. I think it's around $60 for both vests. I spend more than that on my boat for gas every month. If you get an inflatable, make sure it the auto version. I think there are some that can be either manual or auto but don't know why anyone would want a manual one. Years ago the older vest with the rolled collars would not turn you face up, been there, done that. I know some guys will use a flamethrower on me for saying that. They are dedicated........LOL. Hey digthenup. If I was to go out buy a new one it would be the Mustang, simply because it can be tested anytime with out inflation. They are comfortable as my wife wears hers the whole time she's in the boat. If it wasn't comfortable, I would be the first to know.
    Last edited by tracer1; 10-26-2020 at 06:56 PM.

11. Member
    tracer1
    The SoSpenders by Stearns is what I am talking about, and mine is the one that can be used both way auto/manual. I fish by myself most of the time, and we use the big Penn Yan my FIL has to take the family for a boat ride, which they complain once she is on plane (1/4 down the river) with trim tabs going somewhere north of 35 mph. In that boat, we have plenty of float cushings and old style charter vests, but it is near impossible to fall out of that boat with 30"+ sides.

BTW, which model does your wife have on the Mustang? sound like I may like it. TY

Yeah, I still use my old one, can't see throwing it away, huh? I bought my wife the elite 28 ( had to get hers & look, couldn't remember) simply because she can't swim and I wanted something better than mine for her.

13. Banned
    How many of those making negative comments about manuals are wearing type I or II's ? Bet most are in a 3 that wont turn you over if you are unconscious.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    Yeah, I still use my old one, can't see throwing it away, huh? I bought my wife the elite 28 ( had to get hers & look, couldn't remember) simply because she can't swim and I wanted something better than mine for her.
    Yea, I have 2 SoSpenders that I use and replace cartridge every couple of years. That Mustang Elite 28 is a very nice unit, but a little pricey at nearly 300.00, though I am sure she is worth it.

yeah, nothings cheap nowadays. I asked her if she was worth it, she said she was, LOL. Now I have not tested the Mustang so I can't give any feedback on that. I did offer to throw her in the lake but was quickly talked out of that. If my SoSpenders ever quit, I'll probably get the 28, cause I know I'm worth it too, LOL.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    yeah, nothings cheap nowadays. I asked her if she was worth it, she said she was, LOL. Now I have not tested the Mustang so I can't give any feedback on that. I did offer to throw her in the lake but was quickly talked out of that. If my SoSpenders ever quit, I'll probably get the 28, cause I know I'm worth it too, LOL.
    You know that you can test them in a regular full bathtub. So, you can draw a nice warm tub of water for her with a few candles and a large glass of wine and get testing!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis S. View Post
    I think that was John Cox on Smith Lake.
    I don't remember that we ever got a final report that he was wearing an automatic inflatable, or a manual inflatable at the time of that accident, did we?

18. Member
    This is an informative thread. I think it's time for me to get a new inflatable. Mine is old. It is a Sospenders by Stearns. It is a model used at a Bassmasters Classic several years ago. I don't service mine responsibly and maybe I can change that for the better. Only one time it inflated which is why I chose to post .

Several years ago I had a jig and pork on a rod hanging over the side of the boat in the water so the pork wouldn't dry out. A Smallmouth came up and grabbed it and took off with it and the rod. The water was about 7' deep and I had my inflatable on. It was summertime and I jumped right in to save my rod . My feet hit the bottom just as I grabbed the rod and I pushed back up quickly to grab the side of the boat. Just as I threw the rod up on the deck and grabbed the side of the boat with the other hand my jacket inflated. It all happened so fast as at the same instant ( I was pretty capable back then ) I pulled my self up into the boat in one quick movement and slumped into the seat with my head down thinking WHEW ! That was crazy! One side of my jacket inflated but the other side had not. I wasn't aware of that and for that second or two with my head down all of a sudden the other side of my jacket inflated and popped out. Since I had my head down it sucker punched me by surprise. I guess it just took a bit longer for the velcro on that side to release. But it did work .

Think it's time for me to add a new one. By now at this time of the year I wear a traditional vest. Inflatable when the water is a bit warmer.
    GETFISHED !!!

Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    You know that you can test them in a regular full bathtub. So, you can draw a nice warm tub of water for her with a few candles and a large glass of wine and get testing!
    You know, I mentioned that to her some time back. I can't repeat her comment in mixed company, lol. But in summary her response to me was, "you do it".

Quote Originally Posted by RTex View Post
    I don't remember that we ever got a final report that he was wearing an automatic inflatable, or a manual inflatable at the time of that accident, did we?
    Not that I know of Tex. I'm sure he or they would say it was an automatic. Although in the video, he seems to be fumbling with the manual release, but that's just my observation on it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast