Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

High End TM Problems

Just going thru the posts and the numerous issues on the more expensive trolling motors and it makes me question if folks are satisfied with spending $2,000-$3,000 on a trolling motor with seemingly many problems? Wouldn't customers EXPECT a trouble free product when paying that much money? Hard to feel confident about spending the $$$ when reading the board.

For me.. It's worth it!
    I've had the ultrex for 2 years and had the steering sensor go out the first day of a two day tournament forcing me to use the remote. I fish a lot of main lake structure so it is a total game changer for me.

3. Member
    Yes, you are correct. That's how it should be.

No. We ain't there. We all know it.

Question you have to ask "Is what you gain worth the pain?"

I have Ultrex's on both my boats. One 112 and one 80. The 112 has gone through 2 control boards. The 80 has never had any problem of any kind.

Go figure.

I

4. Banned
    My thoughts are, we the consumer are the R&D a lot of times when it comes to stuff like this. Also I personally think that once the Tour Pro comes out, I am willing to bet there will be minimal issues. They are trying to get it right the first time. Remember when evaluating the forums, we the owners here are a vey small group of over all owners when looking at the over all picture of product world wide. Just my thoughts in this observation.

5. Member
    I have an Ulterra. It is 2 years old and trouble free. If I have to buy another one it will also be an Ulterra.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jig_Man View Post
    I have an Ulterra. It is 2 years old and trouble free. If I have to buy another one it will also be an Ulterra.
    Switched from a Xi5 to a Ulterra last month. Took a little getting used to with the remote but so far I'm really liking it. So much easier on my back.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MCIPinkie View Post
    Yes, you are correct. That's how it should be.

No. We ain't there. We all know it.

Question you have to ask "Is what you gain worth the pain?"

I have Ultrex's on both my boats. One 112 and one 80. The 112 has gone through 2 control boards. The 80 has never had any problem of any kind.

Go figure.

I
    I guess I'm speaking on behalf of "non tournament/pro fishermen/women" when I asked the question. Most average folks just want to enjoy a trouble free day on the water and if having your day cut short because of equipment failure of the "newest and best" trolling motor, why would you spend that kind of money? Sure, if you NEED the best to make a living and have sponsors/mechanics on hand to fix problems I can understand, but most of us would lose weeks of time getting issues fixed. Again reading this board there seems to be a lot of problems with high $$ trolling motors and it seems like no brand is immune, something that is concerning to the average fisherperson. Just my observations of a newbie to the board.

8. Member
    The thing is that there is many thousands out there that work perfectly that you never hear about. I’m on my second Ultrex with nary a minute of trouble. People only complain when it don’t work.

9. Member
    What you read on this forum is only a fraction, compared to the troll motors that have no issues. People come on here to to complain about and solve problems that crop up. They are looking for a fix. All problems are real. Some are self inflicted because of lack of knowledge of the product or what supplies the product with the power. They do not take the time to accurately describe a problem that 9 out of 10 time was created because of not being aware of what could have caused the problem to start with(Batteries is a prime example.. I see it all the time.
    I can not stress this enough. Take a little extra time to learn you troll motor system and do maintenance on it at least once a year. the Time it takes to do this is time that you could spend fishing or better yet cut your tip off because your troll motor stopped working and you have to go home.
    I have also stressed this on may responses on various threads. It is highly recommended that you remove power from the troll motor by either unplugging or turning off the breaker that supplies the troll motor. Many issues with boards, especially the ulterra, are cause by battery chargers. I have seen it many times.
    No product is completely bulletproof, but when you spend up to $3000 on a troll motor is sure pisses you off when you out on the lake and it fails on you, because you have a bad battery.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    What you read on this forum is only a fraction, compared to the troll motors that have no issues. People come on here to to complain about and solve problems that crop up. They are looking for a fix. All problems are real. Some are self inflicted because of lack of knowledge of the product or what supplies the product with the power. They do not take the time to accurately describe a problem that 9 out of 10 time was created because of not being aware of what could have caused the problem to start with(Batteries is a prime example.. I see it all the time.
    I can not stress this enough. Take a little extra time to learn you troll motor system and do maintenance on it at least once a year. the Time it takes to do this is time that you could spend fishing or better yet cut your tip off because your troll motor stopped working and you have to go home.
    I have also stressed this on may responses on various threads. It is highly recommended that you remove power from the troll motor by either unplugging or turning off the breaker that supplies the troll motor. Many issues with boards, especially the ulterra, are cause by battery chargers. I have seen it many times.
    No product is completely bulletproof, but when you spend up to $3000 on a troll motor is sure pisses you off when you out on the lake and it fails on you, because you have a bad battery.
    Please advise "Maintenance" on an Ultrex please

John posted his recommendations on here at one time.

12. Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    Definitely good points, "knowledge is power" and "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" Two old sayings that still ring true. And I agree that reporting problems far outweigh folks who have nothing to report since everything works. Thanks for some optimism

13. Banned
    I received my ghost last Thanksgiving, zero problems with it yet. Granted we will see how it holds up long term, but as of now, I’m happy with it. I would buy one again, if I needed a replacement.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    Please advise "Maintenance" on an Ultrex please
    On the Ultrex, just like every other troll motor there is minimal maintenance. Remove the prop on a regular base(at least once a month), to check for line behind the prop or a bent pin. If the prop is hard to take off, then chances are the pin is bent. If you have a power plug, check to see that the connections remain tight. If you use a plug, don't cut yourself short. If you gonna spend $2500 to $3000 on a troll motor invest in a good plug. There are several choices out there. Battery tender and Minn Kota are 2 excellent plugs. Keep the software updated. There is an Iphone and Android app to to that. There is no need to lube the troll motor except if you have a foot control and you may need to put a little lube on the upper and the lower bearings. this is for manual type foot control troll motors. Do not use WD40. It will create problems. Like eating the plastic. Any petroleum based lubricant will do that. Find a non petroleum based lubricant. I use a small amount of lithium grease.

The most important thing is to check is battery connections. check them regularly. The first sign of corrosion clean the the wires or the terminals. I put a product call Petrox on the terminals. It stops corrosion and keeps a good connection on the battery terminals. I do not recommend a trickle charge on any batteries. It creates more problems then helping the batteries. Especially lead acid. I have a lead acid Group 31 cranking battery. It supplies power to the motor and the boat(Three Graphs and a shallow water anchor). I open the power beaker every time in come in from fishing. I check water two or three times a year. Only time I have problem is when I forget to turn off the boat power. There it is in a nutshell. Pm me if you have specific questions regarding any concerns or issues. I severic both Minn Kota and Motor Guide Troll motors I also worked on a few Water Snakes. I do not have any knowledge on Force or Ghost.

15. Member
    I have a 3 year old Ulterra that has been perfect. I do spray it down with water based silicone lub several times a year, check behind the prop occasionally, grease the worm screw and snug the belt one or two times a year. Minimal maintenance in my opinion. I have upgraded the software via my smartphone at least once and I carry copies of the Emergency restore procedure in my boat as a precaution but have never needed it.

All of these advanced TMs are technological marvels with lots of moving parts and its inevitable that problems will occur with some units BUT the benefits to the fisherman are well worth it. I would guess that I gain 40-50% more fishing time with this motor because of features like AutoPilot and SpotLock. Being able to spotlock off a windy point and fan cast the entire area without having to constantly maneuver the TM is something I could never do without my Ulterra. I just ordered a NEW Ulterra with the LINK feature as I am upgrading my electronics and anticipating an even better fishing experience.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Mercury Spitfire X7 19” prop
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    4.2 second Hole Shot (measured using Vessel View Mobile)
    Engine mounted in 3rd hole
    Minn Kota Ulterra-Link w/built in MDI 80 lb thrust 60” shaft
    Humminbird Helix 12si Gen1 chirp on console
    Humminbird Helix 15si Gen4 cho on bow
    Humminbird Mega360

Dotline two step transom boarding ladder
    Tracker trailer bow boarding step

A little spray silicone in strategic places sure helps mine..
    Another thing to check on Ultrex is the 1/4 Torx screws that hold the pivot arm in place. You have to remove the side plates to access but they are prone to loosen and cause problems.

17. Member
    One thing that seems simple, but I see it done every time I'm on the water is: do not leave the motor down when changing places. I see it done on TV, so for most people it must be alright. If you just move 10 yards, it's probably not that bad but 10 yards often ends up to 200 yards. I think that puts undue stress on the mount.

I dunno if you read online you mainly here problems, but what percentage is it? Feel free to spend less and have the same amount of issues. I don't think any of these are that bad.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

I would say I’m good friends with 10 ultrex owners. I personally know probably 30 ultrex owners but only talk to 10 of them enough to know if they have issues. I will say in the last 2 years 8 of the 10 guys have had issues with their ultrex. It’s something you hate to fish without so when it works it’s awesome. But I will say when we all had the fortrex I would hear 0 issues from those same 10 guys.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

My Ultrex is 8 months old, and been trouble free. It’s well worth the money for me since I do a lot of off shore fishing. Spot lock is a game changer for drop shot, and sitting up to cast to singled out brush. The I-Pilot is unbelievable when you want to follow a contour of a ledge. With all that said, I do plan on picking up a Fortex just as a back up. I wish I hadn’t sold my old back up M.G.
    2021 Skeeter Zx225
    2021 Yamaha 225 SHO
    Ultrex 112# w/ Ipilot
    Helix 12 Mega+SI
    Helix 9 Mega+ SI
    Helix 9 Mega+ DI
    Helix 9 Chirp/GPS
    Garmin 1222 w/ LSV32
    Ionic Lithium

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast