Need help with a 1993 175 XRI

Hi everyone,

New here and hoping I can find some help. I bought an older flats boat from a neighbor who recently passed away. The boat came with a 93 Mercury 175 XRI. I have removed the motor from the boat and it currently sits on a make shift engine stand in my garage. Hoping to get it started but have had no luck as of yet. Compression seems low but even at around 100 each cylinder. My question: When I turn the ignition to the on position I hear no buzzer. When I turn the key it cranks over but I buzzer goes off (beep-beep-beep) until I disconnect the purple wire from the positive on the battery. Could my issue be the way I have the ignition wired on the stand? It has spark so I'm guessing it should not be the fact that the kill switch is disconnected. This motor does still have the oil injection and I have pumped fresh gas into it. Hoping someone here could point me in the right direction. Thanks!

IMG_6176.jpg

2. Member
    Is the oil tank on the motor full, will cause beep. It should be near 100% full. Second, you are ruining the water pump impeller by starting the motor with no water going to the lower unit. But ignition wiring may be wrong, should get a one short beep when you turn the key to on.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Member
    The oil tank at the motor is full. No initial buzzer when I turn the key but a constant rapid intermittent buzzer goes off after about 2 seconds of cranking. If the motor show's any sign of running I will immediately shut off and put the muffs on. I will keep tinkering with it. Thanks

4. Member
    dont even spin it without water to gear case , purple wire is supply to module need to test all parts of warnning system and ign system , and pump operation
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    dont even spin it without water to gear case
    ^^^^this^^^^
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax