1997 Mercury 225 EFI Fuel Issues

Hello ALL,

I have a 1997 Mercury 225 EFI that has been a great motor, however, I have started to have what I believe to be fuel issues. The motor idles okay as long as its a "light" idle. If I idle with some throttle it begins to seem like it starves of gas. I can have a buddy pump the bulb for a little while then I can get on pad for around 30-45 seconds then the motors starves for gas again but never shuts off completely. Does anyone have any guesses as to what this could be? I replaced the primer bulb and it is still having this issue. Have rebuilt the mechanical fuel pump as well. My guess would be electrical fuel pump or maybe throttle body?? Now I did have a loose negative on my electrical fuel pump and have not been able to take it out after tightening it up. I just want to get some ideas before I order parts. Thanks

2. Member
    Might try posting in the 3L forum (covers your engine) and please provide engine serial number (required when posting).

Mercury - 3 Liter & 3 Liter High Performance
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Member
    +1^^^^^^
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Moved to the 3L Forum for you.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor