AFTERMARKET GAUGES 2000 !50 2 STROKE

My new to me Champion somewhere had the original Yamaha gauges removed. As far as I can find, I have no alarms or lights to alert of issues. I would like to install an aftermarket temperature gauge and idiot lights for both overheat and oil as the original setup had.
    A few questions;
    Can I simply add a light in parallel with the existing thermo switch (s)?
    Can I simply add an aftermarket temp gauge in parallel with the existing thermosensor? Is there a particular type of gauge needed to assure it works correctly?
    How would I add a light for the oil pump? Don't know how that worked on the original gauge?
    Any help appreciated....

2000 V150TLRY

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I can't say I've seen any Champions with Yamaha gauges, not to say there haven't been any. Got pix of you dash? My 07 210 Elite has a 250 HPDI and has Faria gauges. The tach and Speedo has Champion logo on the face.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daf290 View Post
    My new to me Champion somewhere had the original Yamaha gauges removed. As far as I can find, I have no alarms or lights to alert of issues. I would like to install an aftermarket temperature gauge and idiot lights for both overheat and oil as the original setup had.
    A few questions;
    Can I simply add a light in parallel with the existing thermo switch (s)? Yes. But not recommended.
    Can I simply add an aftermarket temp gauge in parallel with the existing thermosensor? No. Is there a particular type of gauge needed to assure it works correctly? A gauge needs to be matched to its sender.
    How would I add a light for the oil pump? No light is associated with the oil pump. Don't know how that worked on the original gauge?
    Any help appreciated....

2000 V150TLRY
    Yamaha and others offer standalone temperature gauges with their specific sender.

I suspect that if you pull the kill switch lanyard, and crank the motor, that you will hear the alarm horn.

4. Member
    Good thought, I’ll try that tomorrow,
    even so, I’d like to put in two lights, one for temp, one for oil, anyone know how to wire them?

i am second owner of my Champion and the original owner had the dealer swap the Yamaha before he picked it up in 2003, likely about 1500 hours and runs great, I love the smell of oil in the morning,,,

5. Member
    Look in the bottom of the lower cowling, up near the front, for two four-pin ivory coloured nylon connectors. Find them and get the wire colours. Two of those wires will be needed. One for low oil in the main engine mounted oil tank and one for the over temperature alarm. You could also add a third for low oil in the boat mounted remote oil tank.

The lights at the dash will be powered by battery voltage. Whenever the key is on. The CDI will provide the ground to cause the light(s) to illuminate if and when there is a problem.

Or you can get a Yamaha tachometer that has the lights included within it. In which case it will be plug and play.

6. Member
    I do have an alarm but will likely add all three idiot lights, Yam911, this is exactly what I needed to know..
    thanks