1983? Mercury BlackMax 200hp Question

Can anyone give me a little more info on a motor? The serial is 6305365. Want to make sure that I can do any typical maintenance like plugs, prop, or anything basic. I would love to convert to a digital instrument panel, but something tells me it would cost more than the boat to do.

2. Member
    Spark plugs are NGK-BU8H. Best source of information is to locate and purchase a Mercury Factory service manual (not aftermarket) #90-97658--3.

3. Member
    agree ^^^
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 83Sterling View Post
    Can anyone give me a little more info on a motor? The serial is 6305365. Want to make sure that I can do any typical maintenance like plugs, prop, or anything basic. I would love to convert to a digital instrument panel, but something tells me it would cost more than the boat to do.
    Thank you. Been a hell of a time trying to find information online. I will look for a manual.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTRAK View Post
    Spark plugs are NGK-BU8H. Best source of information is to locate and purchase a Mercury Factory service manual (not aftermarket) #90-97658--3.
    Any preference on best brand plugs? I managed to find a manual on ebay and I should hopefully have it next week.

6. Member
    Only use the recommended NGK plugs, don’t substitute for a different brand.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

7. Member
    Any preference on best brand plugs? I managed to find a manual on ebay and I should hopefully have it next week.
    Ok thanks. I saw Quicksilver NGK and other ones that just say NGK as the brand. Wasn't sure which. I will stick with the regular NGK ones.

8. Member
    Glad you found a manual. These engines are relatively simple and easy to service or repair. The factory manual will walk you through, step-by-step, anything you need to do.

9. Member
    You can use Quicksilver, Mercury, or NGK they will all be the same. Quicksilver is a Mercury brand for sale at non-dealerships. All those labels are NGKs with a different label.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay