NOTE: The term 'church' can refer to a building, a service, or a congregation. Here, its referring to either the Visible church (what you see, contains Christians and hypocrites-unsaved) and the Invisible Church (we can't see because we can't look into another's heart. But God can. AKA: The Holy Christian Church, The Communion of Saints, believers of all time.

The true Visible church preaches salvation which is purchased only by: the holy life, and innocent suffering and death of Jesus Christ. The merits of Christ have earned forgiveness for all your sins, for all time and eternity. You are forgiven for Christ's sake. Here, the Word is faithfully taught, the right reason to pick a church. Beware, a person can be involved in all the outward activities of a church and still be lost if they have no faith--and believe they are saved by their outward actions. They need to repent. You, sinner are not saved by anything you do, but only by the holy works of Christ.

The Holy Spirit gave us Psalm 122 to teach us the proper attitude toward gathering together in Divine Service with other professing Christians.

PSALM 122 A song of ascents. Of David.

1. I rejoiced with those who said to me, "Let us go to the house of the LORD."
2. Our feet are standing in your gates, O Jerusalem.
3. Jerusalem is built like a city that is solidly joined together.
4. That is where the tribes go up, the tribes of the LORD, to give thanks to the name of the LORD according to the statute given to Israel.
5. There the thrones for judgment stand, the thrones of the house of David.
6. Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: "May those who love you be secure.
7. May there be peace within your walls and security within your fortresses."
8. For the sake of my brothers and friends, I will say, "Peace be within you."
9. For the sake of the house of the LORD our God, I will seek your good.

V1&2. The Holy Christian Church is our spiritual Jerusalem, where we gather. Daily devotions are very Godly and beneficial. But, they are no substitute for time spent in the House of God with the people of God. (We need both.) During a pandemic, that creates a challenge. Each must weigh the risk factors against human costs as they see them, and then, from faith in Jesus, do what pleases God. Above all, never judge the motives of any other person. (The devil would be happy with that.) View others with compassion, patience, kindness, forgiveness and understanding.---the way God looks at you. As to yourself, don't let the enemy load you down with guilt. However, if anyone is using the pandemic as an excuse to stay away from gatherings in God's House--it is insulting to God. Its starving themselves of Christian Fellowship. A grave error.

V3&4. The building up of Godly unity in the Church takes place only thru the Word of the Gospel. True godly unity overcomes all the fracturing schemes of the devil.

V5. Judgement is needed in the church to control evil. The Word of God subdues self-will and personal opinion.

V6&7. This is peace with God which comes from the security of sins forgiven. Security that comes to you by faith in the blood of Jesus Christ, shed for you personally, to cleanse you from the guilt of your sins.

V8&9. We seek the good of our brothers and sisters in Christ by joining with them, to confess: the truth of salvation in Jesus Christ--not just with words but also with actions.

May the Holy Spirit teach you: to treasure Christian fellowship thru which your spiritual needs will be met.

excerpts sermon 10/11/20