RANGER 518SVS REPOWER

Hey all. I'm pulling the trigger on a repower for my 1997 518svs. I'm currently faced with a few questions and concerns that I was hoping to get aired out here. The first question is: I currently have a 2.5 liter 200 merc. EFI which weighs 412lbs. The new 200 pro xs will come in at 505 lbs. Does this pose any problems, including overloading the transom?

And lastly, my Bob's hydraulic jp says 600 lb weight limit and 300hp V6. .... is the V6 call out very specific .... or was it a thing of the time ... as V8 outboards were not available at that time? I'm assuming weight and horsepower are the only variables that mean anything, but you can never be so sure .

Thanks for your input. If you have any other first hand experience with repowering with the pro xs.... specifically a 518 and a 200hp please chime in with any and all other advice!!! It would be greatly appreciated.

P.s. this is posted in ranger forum but nobody ever replies in that forum.

2. Banned
    Won't overload the transom adding 100# to the back end Shouldn't do anything but lower the boat just a hair in the water and effect the hole shot a little. Your going to adjust your setup anyway so no biggie. Your correct about the weight and hp on the bob's

3. Member
    Thank you for the input. I agree with you- I did a little displacement calculation today and came up with the same result

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I went from a carbed 175 on my 01 ranger at 370 pounds to a Etec 200 HO at 520 pounds zero transom issues super happy, like a different boat holeshot monster under 2 seconds with just me and full tourn load
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 10-21-2020 at 01:22 PM.

5. Member
    Putting a new 200 on it will actually give you a hole shot compared to the 2.5 efi. which is a hole shot turd.

6. Member
    What's wrong with the engine you have now?