Loomis Spinnerbait Rod

Recently I read a post on Loomis rod recommendation for Chatterbaits.
    IMX Pro 843 MBR 3/8 ounce and the 844 for 1/2 ounce.
    Sticking with the same IMX Pro line ... what do guys recommend for Spinnerbaits?
    Same Rod ?
    Like to hear everyone’s thoughts ?
    Thanks ... Tight Lines !
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

2. Member
    For me I throw my spinnerbaits and swin jigs on a Mossy Back BCR 855. No intent to hijack thread but loves these for what I mentioned. I know not spinner bait rods.

Southcoast, it really comes down to personal preference. I like a softer rod for spinnerbaits and chatterbaits, and I prefer to use braid with chatterbaits. I feel like a fish that doesnt hit it well is more likely to better hooked with a softer rod. For instance, I use 7' medium crankbait rod with braid for chatterbaits. Just what I've settled on. Doesnt mean it's right or will work for everybody. The tradeoff is if a big girl is in heavier cover, then Orion's BCR855 is more likely to winch her out. Notice he's in Florida and I'm in Kansas, so we're fishing vastly different lakes and cover.

For spinnerbaits, I like a 7' medium St Croix LTB with mono. It feels softer than a Loomis MBR 843, but more power than an MBR 842. I have both of those, and that st croix just seems to work best for me. My partner uses a 7' heavy glass rod, but I just couldn't get as good of hookset like he can. Try a few rods out and just see what works for you.

4. Member
    Thanks ... I appreciate the input.
    I talked to one of my local buddy’s that used to build rods today.
    He said that dropping down to an IMX rather than a GLX could make a difference in the flex as well.
    When you think about it ... why would you need a moving bait rod to be as sensitive as a bottom bait rod?
    He explained that sometimes using lesser grade materials for blanks can actually make a rod more parabolic.
    He said ..hey your NRX is one hall of a jig rod but I would never throw a spinnerbait with it.
    Im new to Loomis casting rods I’ve only used the spinning.
    Im making some changes for next year... Tired of having 16 rods on the deck and worrying about stepping on them.
    The reality is fishing in here in Massachusetts is nothing like fishing in Oklahoma, Texas or Florida. I should have switched to Loomis or St Croix a long time ago.
    Sensitive rods go a long way up here.
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

5. Member
    Close quarters pitching and roll casting 3/8 spinnerbaits I use a GLX783. I use a GLX843 or GLX844 depending on weight to fan cast or fish more open areas.

6. Member
    Good info ... Thank you
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

Quote Originally Posted by Southcoast Bassin View Post
    Thanks ... I appreciate the input.
    I talked to one of my local buddy’s that used to build rods today.
    He said that dropping down to an IMX rather than a GLX could make a difference in the flex as well.
    When you think about it ... why would you need a moving bait rod to be as sensitive as a bottom bait rod?
    He explained that sometimes using lesser grade materials for blanks can actually make a rod more parabolic.
    He said ..hey your NRX is one hall of a jig rod but I would never throw a spinnerbait with it.
    Im new to Loomis casting rods I’ve only used the spinning.
    Im making some changes for next year... Tired of having 16 rods on the deck and worrying about stepping on them.
    The reality is fishing in here in Massachusetts is nothing like fishing in Oklahoma, Texas or Florida. I should have switched to Loomis or St Croix a long time ago.
    Sensitive rods go a long way up here.
    Good point about the different grades. If you have a chance to see in person, you might compare a MBR843 E6X with an IMX Pro MBR843. I have mostly older Loomis, but I can feel a difference between IMX and GLX in the same model.

8. Member
    If I’m target fishing I use the 783 E6X.. open water I use the 843 E6X... the E6X lineup is plenty good for moving baits

9. Member
    I use glass rods for both. 20# braid for the chatterbaits, mono for spinnerbaits. 7 ft med action. These rods I got in 1995. They are just a blast to catch fish on. Just dug out an old spinnerbaits rod, 6-8 med heavy. That will see action next year. 6 ft med action just showed up, that was my spinnerbaits rod on windy days.

10. Moderator
    I'm no chatter bait expert but I've caught some really nice fish on a chatter bait. My favorite rod has been the old cinnamon blank CBR847 Loomis rod.