518 REPOWER!!!!!

Hey all. I'm pulling the trigger on a repower for my 1997 518svs. I'm currently faced with a few questions and concerns that I was hoping to get aired out here. The first question is: I currently have a 2.5 liter 200 merc. EFI which weighs 412lbs. The new 200 pro xs will come in at 505 lbs. Does this pose any problems, including overloading the transom?

And lastly, my Bob's hydraulic jp says 600 lb weight limit and 300hp V6. .... is the V6 call out very specific .... or was it a thing of the time ... as V8 outboards were not available at that time? I'm assuming weight and horsepower are the only variables that mean anything, but you can never be so sure .

Thanks for your input. If you have any other first hand experience with repowering with the pro xs.... specifically a 518 and a 200hp please chime in with any and all other advice!!! It would be greatly appreciated.

2. ourflat
    I asked the same questions regarding my 518. Folks here answered it in Mercury Virado section under Engine threads. Essentially a Mer 200 XP Pro fits the ticket!

Frank

The 200 Pro XS should work nicely. I don't think you would have a problem running the Bob's plate but they do have excellent customer service so I would give them a call just to be sure. They may ask for a model number so look on the plate for something that will help determine what plate you have.

If you don't mind me asking, who is doing the repower? I'm tossing the idea around as well.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

4. ourflat
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePA View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, who is doing the repower? I'm tossing the idea around as well.
    I haven’t located a Mercury Dealer in my area that can order/ receive a late model 200 XP Pro engine. It seems a back order is due to the lag in supply chain issues and new boat sales.....

Frank

5. Member
    Did you try Jaco's and C&O?

This may not mean it is in stock, but it usually says that it is "out of stock" if they don't have it.

https://www.candomarine.com/default....=xNewInventory
    1985 Ranger 340v w/ 1985 Johnson GT150 Crossflow
    2018 BassCat Pantera Classic w/ 2018 Mercury 200 ProXS

6. Member
    Thanks for the input all!

I'm really hoping things arent backordered til spring

7. Member
    Just to follow up : I repowered with a 200 pro xs 4 stroke in late November. Thayers Marine took care of me. I couldnt be happier. I also got the hull wrapped - the boat is like a brand new ride all over again.