Question on set back plate for Mercury Pro Xs 115 ct

2017 Pro Xs ct 2b484135

I was told by a shop that Mercury requires the jack plate or set back plate to be solid (side to side). That they have a service bulletin about it. Meaning no opening between left or right side mounting bolts.

Well my boat came from Ranger with an optional set back plate. It is basically to big pieces of aluminum c-channel. A right side and a left side if you will. Was inform at a shop that that is not allowed by Mercury and it would void warranty on mounting and trim components. Called dealer and they said they have not heard of such a thing and that all the RT that come with set back plate from Ranger are like this.

Kinda confused.
    Semper Fi

2. Member
    No body?
    Semper Fi

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Sorry- been out of the office for a few days.

I believe what you were told was coming from a combination of two separate pieces of literature- one stating that no spacers, brackets or devices be on the engine mounting hardware, and another indicating that the mounting surface must be FLAT.

Technically... flat would mean one piece of material, though I do not recall seeing anything specifically excluding a two-piece setback plate (as long as it's true).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thanks Don,

Was kinda worried cause the shop that would be doing any work on the trim system is one that said it could void the warranty. Didn't want to have to tow 2.5 hours to dealer for it.

Really appreciate the help. Now to see if it is leaking down on its own.
    Semper Fi