Engine trimming down on its own while driving on trailer.

While putting boat on trailer Saturday we noticed the engine would go down on its own when powering onto trailer. It will trim up find when running down lake and does no appear to go down on its own when running. I checked the fluid and it was at correct level. It did it again an Sunday. We are not doing anything different then we have done for the over 3 year i have owned the boat. Matter of fact the ramp we used this weekend is better and i have trailer little deeper then normal. So it should have went on easily.

Did some reading and found a thread on SB 2017-012 (Check Valves). This sounds like it could be cause of my issue.

I never leave the engine up with out trailering support so i do not know if it leaks down when sitting.

2017 PRO Xs 115 ct 2B484135

Thanks
    Semper Fi

2. Member
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Semper Fi

Check the manual trim screw. Maybe loose?
    Other than that, I would raise and lower it while on the trailer. Maybe drain and replace the fluid. Just my 2 cents
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

4. Member
    Mine has done this from day one.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwater View Post
    Mine has done this from day one.
    It should not do that.
    Semper Fi

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    Check the manual trim screw. Maybe loose?
    Other than that, I would raise and lower it while on the trailer. Maybe drain and replace the fluid. Just my 2 cents
    I will look at that. When we raise it to install support for trailering it stays in place so i think it is probably good but will check.
    Thinking it has to be bypass valve or internal seal.
    Semper Fi

I'm pretty sure if you are on the lift cylinder and not the trim cylinders its normal for it to trim down on throttle until it reaches the trim cylinders. Once it reaches the trim cylinders then they shouldn't allow the motor to trim itself further down.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

8. Member
    Pretty sure 115 only has 1 cylinder. Now it does have a range for tow but will not raise that high while engine is running.

We have not changed anything we do loading the boat. It will go ALL the way down when powering on trailer. Not just lower a little.
    Semper Fi

Maybe true never had a merc that small but the 90 rude is a 3 ram for what its worth.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

10. Member
    Crazy think is we bring motor up to same spot and it have never done this. I guess it would be possible that the ramp we were using last weekend was steeper then we usually us? I guess i will try it again at different ramp and see what happens.
    Semper Fi

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Blackwater- appreciate the helpful info but do keep in mind we should have only ONE (1) engine in the post. Thanks!

jrbdad: The explanation in that email is a little misleading as the "computer" doesn't raise or lower the trim under any circumstances on this engine model.

Engine may be forced down due to the relief system, and engine RPM's may be limited due to trim being too high.

Let's check for leakdown: Raise the engine up and place an object below the bullet of the gearcase (a 5 gallon bucket, upside down works nicely). Set trim angle to 2" above the bucket, and allow it to sit that way for 12 hours (overnight).

Does the gearcase drop to rest on the bucket? If not, how far above the bucket did it remain?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    Thanks, I was unsure of that info. I will give that a try tonight.
    Semper Fi

13. Member
    So let it sit for 9 hours or so and it dropped MAYBE 1/8 inch. Will let it set while at work today and check it again.
    Semper Fi

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Unless you see a considerable drop (compared to above), what you're experiencing is likely the NORMAL operation of the trim system.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

15. Member
    jrb did you take it to the dealer.Like to here what they had to say.

16. Member
    It’s normal. Did it on my 2 stroke and the new 4 stroke as well. It also won’t let you trim up into the tilt section while on pad.
    2020 Phoenix 920 Elite | Merc 250 ProXS