Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lake Anna Questions

I am headed to Lake Anna. I will be fishing Thursday and Friday. I am looking for recommendations on launches. Once I figure the launch I can figure where to stay (maybe the truck lol). It is a last minute decision to make the trip and my first time to Lake Anna so I am going at it blind. Once I am on the water I can put things together but getting the boat in the water is my concern. Something near the necessities; gas, food, places to stay, somewhere to pick up a fishing license, and an inevitable tackle purchase. Also a decent ramp would be nice.

Also, I am looking for information on Lake level. I checked Dominian Energy website. They show 250ft but being unfamiliar with the lake I have no reference. Is there a source to show me a historical look at Lake Anna levels?

Thanks,
    Rick

Launching I would suggest Fish Tales Marina @ Anna Point. They can also help you out with fishing reports, licenses, etc. Dave will definitely point you in the right direction and is a good guy. There is very minimal lodging around the lake. Not a whole lot of hazards you need to be aware of, and what little there is will be marked. It's a pretty small lake so you could spend one day down lake fishing in clear water and the next day up the two river arms fishing dirtier water.

Don't have extremely high expectations because that lake is definitely humbling, but I know it was fishing pretty decent this past weekend, and every once in awhile you'll see an 8+ fish come out of there. It's still pretty early so not sure if the fall bite has really started getting good yet, but you could probably catch a lot just junk fishing. But then again, I suck at Lake Anna so take all of this with a grain of salt lol.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Howard View Post
    I am headed to Lake Anna. I will be fishing Thursday and Friday. I am looking for recommendations on launches. Once I figure the launch I can figure where to stay (maybe the truck lol). It is a last minute decision to make the trip and my first time to Lake Anna so I am going at it blind. Once I am on the water I can put things together but getting the boat in the water is my concern. Something near the necessities; gas, food, places to stay, somewhere to pick up a fishing license, and an inevitable tackle purchase. Also a decent ramp would be nice.

Also, I am looking for information on Lake level. I checked Dominian Energy website. They show 250ft but being unfamiliar with the lake I have no reference. Is there a source to show me a historical look at Lake Anna levels?

Thanks,
    Rick
    Let me know when you figure it out. I'm still trying.

4. Banned
    Id recommend you launch at a different lake. Serious.. place is a dead zone. If you have to stay there, get up an hour earlier and trailer to the potomac.

5. Member
    Anna Point Marina has a motel. You can launch and stay in one place. Caught them shallow mid and up lake last week skipping docks and fishing grass along the bank.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by herndonpro View Post
    Anna Point Marina has a motel. You can launch and stay in one place. Caught them shallow mid and up lake last week skipping docks and fishing grass along the bank.
    High Point Marina and LIGHTHOUSE INN has the motel. http://www.highpointmarina.com/ Good rates this time of year. The State Park also has Cabins...I just checked, nothing available, but if you call them, they do have late cancelations (I have done this). https://virginiastateparks.reserveam...Id=140175#sr_a

Christopher Run is a camp ground that has cabins and a walk up the hill bath house. Call for availability : http://christopherruncampground.com/

VRBO has some availability depending on budget: https://www.vrbo.com/search/keywords...Included=false

Airbnb has a 17ft RV that shows on LKA. Enjoy, love the lake and it just takes a bit of time. https://www.airbnb.com/s/Lake-Anna--...ch_by_map=true
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

7. Member
    Awesome. I appreciate the info!

I need to burn up some vacation time before I lose it. These are good days for me to take but the weather is going to be crap round here. I thought getting out of town to some nicer weather was a good idea. VA is about the only state that I can go that does not require me to quarantine when I get home. Lake Anna looks like it is the closest option. I also looked at Smith Mountain. Should I consider the extra drive time?

I don't expect to smack 20lb sacks, sure would be nice if possible though lol. I just want to go catch some fish in a lake I've never been too.

Rick
    Last edited by Rick Howard; 10-12-2020 at 08:47 PM.

Awesome. I appreciate the info!

I need to burn up some vacation time before I lose it. These are good days for me to take but the weather is going to be crap round here. I thought getting out of town to some nicer weather was a good idea. VA is about the only state that I can go that does not require me to quarantine when I get home. Lake Anna looks like it is the closest option. I also looked at Smith Mountain. Should I consider the extra drive time?

I don't expect to smack 20lb sacks, sure would be nice if possible though lol. I just want to go catch some fish in a lake I've never been too.

Rick
    It depends on how far you want to drive. Anna can be very frustrating, especially this time of year unless you hit it just right. I would personally drive the additional 2 hours south and go to SML, or an additional hour east and fish the Chickahominy/Lower James.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadows View Post
    It depends on how far you want to drive. Anna can be very frustrating, especially this time of year unless you hit it just right. I would personally drive the additional 2 hours south and go to SML, or an additional hour east and fish the Chickahominy/Lower James.
    I'm with Meadows on his recommendation. Either SML or the Chick/James over Anna and of course the Potomac River can be a blast. I've been to Anna once for a weekend club tournament, caught two fish under 12", and had a bearing burn up on the way home and ruined an axle that had to be replaced before I could get the boat home to PA at that time. I still need occasional therapy (beer) over that weekend and it happened 25 year ago.

10. Member
    ohh don't let these naysayers get you down...Lake Anna has some good fish in it and if you get bored the striper fishing and crappie fishing is really good...I personally don't think SML is any better/easier than lake anna...have fun...let us know how you do.

11. Member
    SML is 2x the size of the public side of Lake Anna. Two rivers feed it. It has good Small Mouth Bass fishing, and if you go up the Rivers you can even find an occasional Musky. I always stay at the State Park Cabins, the park is very nice. If you are willing to drive that far, then Kerr Lake, aka, Buggs Island is a nice lake and again, has a very nice State Park with Cabins. Just down the road is Gaston, which has gone from my all time favorite when it had lots of grass, to just another lake. If you want a legitimate chance at a 10lb LMB, then the Chickahominy River is a great choice. I love it, great fishing, and you can get off into some remote areas that are just beautiful. I love flipping the Cyprus knees! Its VERY Tidal, a bigger rise and fall (and thus current) than the Potomac River. I stay in the cabins at Rockahock which is located at Walker Dam. You can lock thru to Chickahominy Lake. Rivers Rest has a motel you can stay at. Rockahock has a nice restaurant to eat at if it is still open. As has been mentioned, the Potomac is a great fishery and lots of history to see from the water if you go up into DC (need a DC license), but you need to stay in the channels and be careful and the Potomac will eat your lower unit if you don't know the lines to run, especially at the mouths of the creeks and up near the Wilson Bridge and the Spoils. Snakehead fishing can lead to a world record and many love to fish for them.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

12. Member
    Sorry guys I just love Anna. Yes it can be tough but always ccatch a few ans some days it down right fun. go twice a year with group and someone always catching. Next trip Nov8 to Nov14 , 8 guys

13. Member
    I just got an email from work, trip canceled. 4:15 the night before I leave and NY added VA to their quarantine list. I appreciate all the advice. Looks like I will have to save if for spring.

I just got an email from work, trip canceled. 4:15 the night before I leave and NY added VA to their quarantine list. I appreciate all the advice. Looks like I will have to save if for spring.
    Well that totally sucks, really sorry to read that.

15. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    That is a shame. Hopefully, you will have another chance someday. We have lots of great fishing and folks here in VA!

If the VA quarantine status changes in November or December and the weather looks decent, don't hesitate to come down to SML or Lake Anna. Lake Anna is a power plant lake so the water temps stay reasonable and the bass and striper fishing at SML is quite good in November and I've caught most of my large bass at SML in December. You won't load the boat with numbers but the average size can be impressive and you don't have to fish deep.

17. Member
    Thanks everyone. I will make the trip in the spring. I have to put the boat in storage in a few weeks. It gives me a hollow feeling in my stomach just that say that out load lol. I will burn the Vacation time to fish a few extra days here.

18. Member
    What’s boat storage? haha
    rent a house in December or January at hot side of Anna and come enjoy fishing when your water gets hard.

19. Member
    Best place to put in is Sturgeon Creek Marina. The tackle shop is well stocked and there is more ramps and parking area. The two guys that run the tackle shop during the week are seasoned tournament fishermen and will give you up to date information.

Do they really need to know where you are going? You'll be fishing and will come in contact with very few people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast