Making new bunks to replace old ones?

I’m going to buy the materials & make new bunks ones to replace the old ones on my 2003 trailer. What type lag bolts to use ? Stainless steel or galvanized for treated lumber ? Thanks
    Last edited by Les Young; 10-12-2020 at 05:39 AM.

We always use stainless, treated boards, and GatorBacks...other people my have options that worked/works for them.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    Had a buddy tell me to use galvanized because stainless will let the holes eat out around them where galvanized won’t. Says this is why you use galvanized nails when building with treated lumber. Is this true?

I used stainless bolts and nuts rather than lag screws. The bolts were ultra low profile so they would be flush with just a tiny bit of countersink. I also used cypress boards. The biggest issue in bunk boards is large knots. They are weak points. The treated lumber at Lowes/Home Depot is crap. Find a good lumber yard and get a better grade of lumber no matter the choice of wood.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. mikesxpress
    KDAT lumber. (84 lumber or other specialty yard)
    Prime/paint to match hull. Clear Gatorbak XP bunks. Stainless lags, flats, and locks. If you have the galvanized steel removable bunk brackets replace them with the stainless steel bunk brackets (Gatorbak). Never fool with the bunks again.

6. Member
    My brackets are just painted steel bent to have a flat side to bolt bunks too.