Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Abnormal inner tire wear Why?

I was backing my trailer into the driveway the other day and noticed the one tire on the driver side is wearing badly on the inside tread. I replaced the tire but why is this happening? This is a 2009 Ranger Trail trailer. Three years ago the cool hubs were swapped out for Vortex hubs.

Are the tires original 11 year old rubber?

check shackle bushings, etc
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Bent spindle is the most likely problem.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    Are the tires original 11 year old rubber?
    That particular tire was new 3 years ago.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    check shackle bushings, etc
    Are shackle bushings on a trailer with leaf springs? My trailer has no leaf springs. I believe they have torsion bar suspension.

7. Member
    You need to inspect the axle to bracket welds very closely, known problem on the TDE axles.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

8. Member
    Hmm. Friend of mine just replaced both of his Ranger tires. The outside could have gone another 30,000 miles, the insides maybe 3000 if lucky.
    Torsion arm trailers......

9. Member
    The torsion arms twist making neg. camber.

10. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketbilly View Post
    The torsion arms twist making neg. camber.
    No, they don’t. You’d have to put many times the rated weight on a torsion axle trailer to get any significant camber change from a torsion arm twisting, and when you did it wouldn’t just happen on a single tire. The trailer frame or wheel would likely fail first. The torsion arm is likely the strongest piece of metal on the trailer.
    nothing else matters.​

11. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    I just moved my left tire to the right side cause the inside is almost slick. Was gonna try and get another year out of it.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    No, they don’t. You’d have to put many times the rated weight on a torsion axle trailer to get any significant camber change from a torsion arm twisting, and when you did it wouldn’t just happen on a single tire. The trailer frame or wheel would likely fail first. The torsion arm is likely the strongest piece of metal on the trailer.
    I have followed some torsion bar trailers down the road, and seen the wheels go through immense camber changes when they go through their range of motion. Statically they might be O K but when loaded it's a different story.

13. Member
    Had this happen on a 2010 Ranger Trail Trailer. The rubber in the axel had weakened allowing the wheels to squat enough to wear the insides of the tires. $800 dollar axle from Ranger fixed it.

14. Member
    Was having the same problem. I found out that the spindle was loose on the torsion axle. Jackup the trailer and wiggle the tire while looking at the spindle If you see or feel any movement then you have to tork it down to 150lbs. I was also told to apply lock tight to the bolt? A place to start and might be a easy fix. Some place to start!!

I guess it’s just me being “old school,” but it seems that torsion axle trailer suspensions are similar to oil bath hubs...to me, both are a solution looking for a problem. Leaf springs and grease hubs have worked very well on boat trailers for many decades...yet boat manufacturers felt the need to switch to the new technology that resulted in as many problems as it allegedly solved.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

If it’s just one side its a bent spindle. Only takes one curb.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

17. Member
    Cheap tires.

Quote Originally Posted by jstbass View Post
    Was having the same problem. I found out that the spindle was loose on the torsion axle. Jackup the trailer and wiggle the tire while looking at the spindle If you see or feel any movement then you have to tork it down to 150lbs. I was also told to apply lock tight to the bolt? A place to start and might be a easy fix. Some place to start!!
    this happened to mine also. I easily could’ve lost one wheel and brake assembly that’s how loose one of the spindle arms was but all 4 were loose. I could wiggle every wheel easily and the really loose one did have inner tire wear. One bolt holds the entire wheel assembly to the axle. It’s now on the yearly maintenance schedule to remove wheels and torque that bolt on every wheel

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by champ223 View Post
    this happened to mine also. I easily could’ve lost one wheel and brake assembly that’s how loose one of the spindle arms was but all 4 were loose. I could wiggle every wheel easily and the really loose one did have inner tire wear. One bolt holds the entire wheel assembly to the axle. It’s now on the yearly maintenance schedule to remove wheels and torque that bolt on every wheel
    When you say 1 bolt, are you talking about the hub axle nut that holds the hub to the axle spindle?? That nut is what holds your hub and bearings on the correct position on the axle races, and should be adjusted by unloading the hub you are adjusting and tightening it until you can't turn the tire forcibly by hand, mine is 85 ft-lb. Now, your bearings are properly seated in the hub and on the races.
    Without turning the tire, back up the nut til loose, and face it against the large washer again turning it in just enough to get your cutter pin in the hole.
    Spin your tire to make sure it is turning freely and there is NO PLAY when you grab the tire top and bottom trying to move it in and out. Now, take your grease gun loaded with marine bearing grease and fill it through your Bearing Buddy.

20. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    When you say 1 bolt, are you talking about the hub axle nut that holds the hub to the axle spindle?? That nut is what holds your hub and bearings on the correct position on the axle races, and should be adjusted by unloading the hub you are adjusting and tightening it until you can't turn the tire forcibly by hand, mine is 85 ft-lb. Now, your bearings are properly seated in the hub and on the races.
    Without turning the tire, back up the nut til loose, and face it against the large washer again turning it in just enough to get your cutter pin in the hole.
    Spin your tire to make sure it is turning freely and there is NO PLAY when you grab the tire top and bottom trying to move it in and out. Now, take your grease gun loaded with marine bearing grease and fill it through your Bearing Buddy.
    He’s talking about the trailing arm, not the spindle.
    nothing else matters.​

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast