Lucas Lubricants in New Fourstroke - What the hay?!!!

I was shocked to read in the literature for my new 2020 Ranger that the factory is filling the lower unit and 4-stroke engines with Lucas Synthetic oils.

Should I be concerned that my Mercury 175 Pro XS Four-stroke has this in it, instead of the lubricants specified by Mercury?

Does this concern you owners of new Rangers with Yamaha, Suzuki and Honda outboards?

2. Member
    This may have changed recently but I thought that the Mercury 4S left the factory with engine and lower unit oil. Mine certainly did. Because the motors are run in at the factory it doesn't make sense that the oils would be drained and then shipped to Ranger
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

3. Member
    Ranger has had a running relationship with Lucas since about 2014. I believe from lower end oil, hub oil, engine oil, etc is Lucas. Brand new boats have a Lucas tag hanging from the steering wheel.

https://lucasoil.com/158-archive/arc...ce-partnership

This is what Mercury recommends:

Mercury or Quicksilver 10W30 Synthetic Blend Fourstroke Oil.

So why in the world would Ranger put a full synthetic oil, instead of a synthetic blend?

I received a recall from Mercury regarding a cam seal leak. I wonder if this relates to use of synthetic oil?

The only modern motors that I’ve had seep or leak oil were ones where I tried Full Synthetic, instead of the recommended conventional or synthetic blend oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Ranger has had a running relationship with Lucas since about 2014. I believe from lower end oil, hub oil, engine oil, etc is Lucas. Brand new boats have a Lucas tag hanging from the steering wheel.

https://lucasoil.com/158-archive/arc...ce-partnership
    same sticker on my nitro trailer, specifically the hubs. Just saying
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    same sticker on my nitro trailer, specifically the hubs. Just saying
    Yes but Ranger has been using just like the article said from hubs to hydraulic steering to engine. Hell after the partnership all of their haulers run Lucas even down to grease.

7. mikesxpress
    Humm?
    My 250hp V8 Mercury 4.6L four stroke repower engine came thru Jacos and the manual/engine decals only refer to Mercury specific lubricants. The engine came full of engine oil an lower unit oil.
    Do you think Mercury would have a separate line that would fill engines going to Ranger with Lucas oils?
    Doesn't make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Humm?
    My 250hp V8 Mercury 4.6L four stroke repower engine came thru Jacos and the manual/engine decals only refer to Mercury specific lubricants. The engine came full of engine oil an lower unit oil.
    Do you think Mercury would have a separate line that would fill engines going to Ranger with Lucas oils?
    Doesn't make sense to me.
    I doubt it..... The production line likely has no clue where the engine is going, other than a warehouse that is full of other engines. My guess is that it is a sticker they get paid to place on the boat, and it ends there.
    All Mercurys come from the factory with engine oil and gear oil filled.

9. Member
    lucas and amsoil best oils going so why worry????????
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    lucas and amsoil best oils going so why worry????????
    If Mercury wanted me to run synthetic oil in my motor, then they would’ve specified one. That’s a reason to worry, especially on a new motor and 5 years of warranty.

11. mikesxpress

If you put in the Mercury products specified in the manual you will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post

If you put in the Mercury products specified in the manual you will be fine.
    My motor is new, with only a couple of hours on the clock. Should I run the Lucas synthetic the entire 20 hour break-in or go ahead and do an oil & filter change?

13. Member
    First I would find out if Ranger actually drained the oil and refilled it with the Lucas oil.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

14. mikesxpress
    More details on this in your duplicate thread on the Mercury 4 stroke board.

Please follow the link for more info......

I posted this on both the Ranger & Mercury Forums because I have one of each, and this pertains to those of you who have Yamaha or Suzuki 4-strokes as well.

Instead of continuing in both places, let's move the discussion to this thread: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1086107

Thanks

16. Member
    Can John use any of his contacts to get past the screeners in customer service and get a real answer.

Agree Lucas and Ranger have had a relationship for a while...but when I got my 2016, the flier said Lucas was in the Hydraulic steering, not in the gear case and outboard.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

17. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Received report today from Ranger plant: they don’t add/change lubricants in the engines during production. Therefore, whatever Mercury installs is what would be in the new engines when the boat is finished and shipped from Flippin.
    Last edited by jc2bg; 10-23-2020 at 06:21 AM.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio