Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ3 View Post
    Moderator over at the Ranger forum has some good contacts at Ranger and has posted he is working on getting past the screeners in Customer Service to get a more legit answer...stay tuned.
    Thanks, Michael. This isn't normally a topic we would continue here in the Forums, but given the circumstances I think it's justified (for fact-finding purposes only).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I have to say that flyer is one of the silliest things I've seen in a while. I suspect you're on a wild-goose chase...
    Goose chasing is the only exercise I get.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ3 View Post
    Moderator over at the Ranger forum has some good contacts at Ranger and has posted he is working on getting past the screeners in Customer Service to get a more legit answer...stay tuned.
    Here's an update as of a few hours ago:

You are being very patient! I hope to hear something later today. My Ranger contact said that someone from corporate will be visiting Flippin today and will try to get to the bottom of the mystery. We are all surprised that an answer is taking so long, but it now sounds likely that the notice you saw is a misprint. I told them that mistakes happen, but we just want to know what to do [if anything] about the engines in question. — John

4. Member
    Well everyone concerned. Mercury does not own a refinery, nor does GM, Ford, Yamaha etc. Oil is mixed with additives to meet the particular manufacturers requests. I have tested many many oils, 4 stroke, 2 stroke, racing oils, diesel oils etc. Each and every oil company has VERY high quality oil, and also a lesser grade. The higher grades tend to have much more detergent and anti wear additives. Lets say you put Royal Purple Synthetic Oil in any four stroke, it will survive, but if it didn't during warranty period you would be punished. One of the first things that will happen is a oil sample, if you have Lucas, Royal Purple, Mobil 1 in it, all top tier oils, it would not pass the smell test. All oils have markers per that manufacturer to allow them to test a sample and know its theirs. Is their oil actually better, really doubt the even remote possibility. But it wont matter if you have a major issue.......
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    Well everyone concerned. Mercury does not own a refinery, nor does GM, Ford, Yamaha etc. Oil is mixed with additives to meet the particular manufacturers requests. I have tested many many oils, 4 stroke, 2 stroke, racing oils, diesel oils etc. Each and every oil company has VERY high quality oil, and also a lesser grade. The higher grades tend to have much more detergent and anti wear additives. Lets say you put Royal Purple Synthetic Oil in any four stroke, it will survive, but if it didn't during warranty period you would be punished. One of the first things that will happen is a oil sample, if you have Lucas, Royal Purple, Mobil 1 in it, all top tier oils, it would not pass the smell test. All oils have markers per that manufacturer to allow them to test a sample and know its theirs. Is their oil actually better, really doubt the even remote possibility. But it wont matter if you have a major issue.......
    Magnuson Moss..........

Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    This is the exact reason that I started this thread.

Here's the latest and what I consider to be the final word:

Ricky,

The answer I received yesterday was that Ranger does not add anything to the Mercury engines in the production process. I hope to receive more details at some point about how the misprint got on the printed material. Mercury and Ranger have had a very close relationship for many years. I’m sure they’ll figure it out. Again, thank you for doing your research and bringing this issue to our [meaning the forums] attention.

Go catch ‘em!
    John C.

THANKS for your time, John.

8. mikesxpress
    If Johnny Wad's guys keep hanging these BS Lucas tags on new rigs this will come up again shortly. Ricky if you wanted to have some more fun with this contact Lucas with a picture of the tag and ask them the type of Lucas oil that has been used in the fill of your engine.

An email is on it’s way to Lucas. Maybe they’ll offer me a free T-shirt to shut me up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123