Trailer axle maintenance. Is this supposed to be loose?

As soon as we jacked the wheel off the ground we noticed the wheel play. Mainly play when I lift up..C1876141-56CC-405E-9DEF-4292A7528B14.jpeg
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

2. Member
    I jacked two other wheels up and they too had side to side play. I pulled the trailer 400 miles last week when I bought it and it ran smooth though. The hub is so heavy I can see why this connection could have some play.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

When you say you have play, we are not sure what you are talking about because your pic shows the whole wheel/ axle assembly from rotor, spindle, and the end of the torsion axle. Pretty sure that’s why you haven’t had any responses. Please be more specific about where you are seeing play. One thing to check, for sure, is the bolt where the wheel assembly attaches to the torsion axle. It’s a known service point and the torque on it is 150 FT. Lbs., IIRC.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apdriver View Post
    When you say you have play, we are not sure what you are talking about because your pic shows the whole wheel/ axle assembly from rotor, spindle, and the end of the torsion axle. Pretty sure that’s why you haven’t had any responses. Please be more specific about where you are seeing play. One thing to check, for sure, is the bolt where the wheel assembly attaches to the torsion axle. It’s a known service point and the torque on it is 150 FT. Lbs., IIRC.
    Sure of course. I am talking about where the wheel assembly attaches to the torsion axle. The connection where the nut and bolt are pictured. I will get a torque wrench and check them (thanks)but the one wheel I did take off and the other two tires I jacked up both had some side to side play. Perhaps the wheel assembly is so heavy it’s not unusual to have some play? I found a weld broken under the trailer (getting fixed today) so I’m trying to make sure the trailer is right. Thanks
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

Quote Originally Posted by Judson1 View Post
    Sure of course. I am talking about where the wheel assembly attaches to the torsion axle. The connection where the nut and bolt are pictured. I will get a torque wrench and check them (thanks)but the one wheel I did take off and the other two tires I jacked up both had some side to side play. Perhaps the wheel assembly is so heavy it’s not unusual to have some play? I found a weld broken under the trailer (getting fixed today) so I’m trying to make sure the trailer is right. Thanks
    That bolt is one that loosens over time and should be retorqued yearly. BassCat is now using grade 8 bolts there and when you torque it to 150 ft.lbs. You understand why. It’s a lot of torque and the grade 8 is stronger. Be sure and torque them all. If they loosen enough and continue to work loose, eventually it will ruin your splines on both the axle and hub. That’s when guys break out the welder.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

6. Member
    Today I had to get the broken weld on the trailer repaired. So I took every tire off and torqued the bolt to the torsion axle since the boat was off. Everyone of them was just about at 150 ft lbs . Yet everyone had play if you grabbed the rotor and moved it. When pulling the trailer with no boat I can actually see the back wheel showing some wobble (at times). I feel like if it’s all 4 wheels this must just be a byproduct of design? I drove it 400 miles last week and hubs were barely warm. Trailer pulls smooth also. Only thing I know to do is keep pulling it and inspect for tire wear. Unless there are any suggestions. Thanks!
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

Hmm. From your pic that wheel assembly looks solid. There really shouldn’t be any play in the splines when undamaged and torqued properly. Could you be seeing a bit of play from the torsion axle when you apply pressure to rotor?
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apdriver View Post
    Hmm. From your pic that wheel assembly looks solid. There really shouldn’t be any play in the splines when undamaged and torqued properly. Could you be seeing a bit of play from the torsion axle when you apply pressure to rotor?
    I guess? All I know is grabbing that rotor and moving it, mainly up, but side to side also, results in some movement where the torsion axle is attached to the splines. The confusing part is I’ve heard that side to side play is a sign of bearing failure. Probably wouldn’t hurt to identify the correct bearings, seals, and races. Order and have them in hand.
    On a more positive note I did run the boat for a few minutes while it was off the trailer. I believe I’m gonna really like this boat. Just trying to “trust” the whole rig being it was used. Thanks for the help.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest