Norfork and Bull Shoals

First trip there later this week. Does someone have a fishing report?
    1994 Basscat Pantera
    2000 Mercury 200 hp Carbureted

Here’s a recent report from Arkansas Game and Fish. Usually put out by some local fisherman or guides in the area and compiled into a weekly report. Better than nothing but those lakes have been fishing well last couple years.

Bull Shoals Lake
    As of Wednesday, the Army Corps of Engineers reported the lake’s elevation at 664.63 feet msl (normal conservation pool: 661.00 feet msl). The reported lake elevation at Table Rock Lake was 914.03 feet msl (normal conservation pool: 917.00 feet msl).

(updated 10-7-2020) Del Colvin at
    Bull Shoals Lake Boat Dock reports that with the water now just 6 feet above normal and dropping, the ramps at open. The Corps of Engineers has been pumping the water out. There are baitfish suspended throughout the lake. Del suggests starting in the back third of a major creek. Some of the shad balls are getting bigger but suspended over the old creek channels. Topwater is good; poppers and wake baits are good as well. Try Whopper Plopper, buzzbait, and if they miss try throwing a popper until the bite stops, then spinnerbait, Chatterbait, and square bill for powerfishing “shallow” if it’s cloudy or stormy. Target shallow flats close to old creek channels with runoff. As the sun comes up, change tactics and move out. Smallies and Kentucky bass are stacked out on main and secondary points, pockets, channel swings, bluffs and bluff ends but are closer to main lake points with wind. With shad present, fish position will change depending on the sun, wind, current, clouds, etc. The shad are moving and so are the fish. Also try a half-ounce jig in green pumpkin orange or GP blue orange. Smallmouths are on gravel banks.
    The lake clarity is dingy to clear and the surface temperature is now down to 70 degrees. The level is falling fast now.
    Check out Del’s YouTube reports under Del Colvin or Bull Shoals Lake Boat Dock for the latest news and tips on fishing Bull Shoals Lake.

Norfork Lake
    As of Wednesday, the Army Corps of Engineers reported the lake’s elevation at 557.05 feet msl (normal conservation pool: Sept.-April, 552.00 feet msl; April-Sept. 555.75 feet msl).

(updated 10-7-2020) Tom Reynolds of STR Outfitters says September was a difficult month for striper fishing. The lower end of the Norfork Lake was oxygen-deprived and the stripers were shut down completely. The Missouri side of Norfork Lake offered some good fishing but was very inconsistent. The upper part of the lake had cooler water and better oxygen, but the fish were smaller. “We are now starting our fall pattern as the oxygen has returned to the mid-lake area, like Robinson Point area and the creeks. The water temperature at Udall is 62 degrees and near Point 10 is 67 degrees while the main lake is around 70 degrees. The cool nights will keep the water temps from going up much, but this week we will see some 80-degree days that will keep the water temperature stable.”
    Tom says he has tried fishing Big Creek and found little success but that should change as the water cools. “The best bite is still at the state line and above but again as that 62 degree moves down expect to see more fish at Calamity Beach and Twin Coves in the next several weeks. I did fish Robinson Point with some success but again it's very inconsistent. The stripers are staying between 35-45 feet of water on the ridge along the channel off the Robinson Point Island. They are also suspended at that depth in small groups all around the area in deep water.”
    He says the largemouth and white bass are starting to school and some topwater action is happening in the early morning and late afternoon on the flats all around the lake. As the shad begin to move from the shallows and school, you will see lots of action in the next several weeks. Crappie are now on the brushpiles and biting on small spoons, jigs and minnows.

(updated 10-7-2020) Lou Gabric at Hummingbird Hideaway Resort said Norfork Lake fishing in October can be lots of fun, but also can be inconsistent. There are many changes going on in the lake, which affect the movement of the predator fish and bait. The water temperature starts to cool and the main thing is that the lake turns over. The lake is in the process of turning over, but it has been very gradual. The thermocline has dropped to somewhere between 50-60 feet and will continue to fall until the lake totally flips.
    There has been a really good bite for bass. Largemouth and spotted bass can be found all over the lake. If you like topwater fishing, throw your favorite topwater bait onto points where you can see sunken brush still out in the water. The fish are inside of it and will come up and slam the bait. Spinnerbait, lipless crankbaits, regular diving crankbaits and jigs are all working in different areas. The bass are also on the bluffs, especially on points of large coves or small cuts in the bluff wall. Smallmouth bass are starting to show up as well. Keep your eyes open for topwater action. The bass will chase shad out in open water just about anywhere, but especially on the large flats.

Crappie fishing is also picking up nicely. This species has been moving back to the brush and they can be found at varying depths. Brush in 15 feet of water out to brush in 35 feet of water may be holding crappie. Small spoons, small twister tail or paddle tail grubs and live minnows on a slip float are all working. The fish can be at any depth over the brush from 7 feet down to the bottom. The depth of the fish will vary depending on the time of day.
    White bass have finally come out of the depths of the lake and are showing up in different locations. Lou says, “Last evening, I was checking out a large flat outside of a cove and starting to hear what I thought was surface-feeding fish. I could not see any, so I started to head toward the sound. I finally saw white water on the other side of the lake along a long deep bluff line. There were schools of whites feeding heavily. They didn’t stay up long, and kept moving around. I stopped the boat in an area where I had seen the fish come up and waited. It was not long before they came up again and again. I had my half-ounce Kastmaster tied on and started to cast. I worked the bait in a jerk, stop and reel motion and kept it close to the surface and they loved it. From about 5:45 p.m. until 6:45 p.m. they were active. When it started to get dark, the topwater in this deep-water area stopped. I heard some activity on the shallow side of the lake and headed that way. I found hybrids and whites feeding heavily in very shallow water, 5 feet or less. The hybrids were coming completely out of the water at least a foot above the surface; it was amazing to see and very fun to catch. Topwater baits such as a Zara Spook would have worked great, but I can cast a Kastmaster farther.
    “Striped bass fishing has been very inconsistent. I have found them off a large flat in the mid-lake area, as well as out in very deep water. On the flat the fish were in 45-55 feet of water suspended to the bottom, and in the deep water they have been suspended 35-60 feet down in 100-plus feet of water. I have caught fish in this area by vertical jigging a ¾-to-1-ounce spoon. Live bait may work better. As the lake continues to cool and the turnover completes, this species will become very active and start to feed very heavily.”
    The surface lake temperature has ranged 69-73 degrees depending on location and time of day. The lake is still falling about 3 to 4 inches per day and currently sits at 557.05 feet msl. The water is stained, but does start to clear more as you head south. “I forecast a great fall fishing season, so get ready to have some fun. Happy fishing and see you on the lake.”
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

3. Member
    Thanks. I appreciate it.
    1994 Basscat Pantera
    2000 Mercury 200 hp Carbureted