Buzz Baits Need a Trailer Hook

Grandson and I fished the golf pond Friday night. Caught plenty of small fish with the buzz bait.
    But we had 4 strikes from much larger fish, but all were short strikes!
    4-7 lb. fish from what we could tell.
    The 7 was a 7+ and made a whopper of a splash like I have never seen on the grandson’s bait.
    It would have easily been his PB, probably mine too!
    We will reload with the trailer hooks and try again.

I read an article once by Shaw Grigsby or Larry Nixon and he said he would run 3 or 4 stingers on a buzz bait, I can't keep from getting hung up when using just one stinger.

3. Member
    Every spinnerbait and buzzbait I buy gets a trailer hook as soon as I take it out of the package.

4. Banned
    those fish arnt missing the bait, you are missing the fish, jerking it away from them too soon. Another reason I dont like braid.
    Had some of that happening to me last year when I was trying some new no stretch lines, when back to Stren, problem went away

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropdeadfred View Post
    those fish arnt missing the bait, you are missing the fish, jerking it away from them too soon. Another reason I dont like braid.
    Had some of that happening to me last year when I was trying some new no stretch lines, when back to Stren, problem went away
    Not true, at all. You are not fast enough to pull a bait away from a fish. There is a video on youtube that explains it in scientific terms and slow motion video that proves it.

I also used to think I was pulling it away from the fish, but after watching the video I was wrong.

6. Member
    I don’t set the hook until I feel the fish. I have learned not to react to the visual. Longer skirt gets grabbed, some swat at it with their tail, and some just plain miss. But the other night emphasized the fact that the bigger fish were striking but not hooking up. We have upgraded our weaponry and try again.

7. Banned
    Thats where the sluggo comes in, anytime I am buzz bait fishing I always have a sluggo or some kinda twitch bait in the same color on deck, get a blow up and miss I drop that rod and toss the soft plastic in the same spot and twitch it. Quite often the fish will nail it.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropdeadfred View Post
    Not sure what happens i do know that I have made a effort to not look at my top water baits while retrieving them and my hook up rate has gone way up.

9. Member
    Trim the skirt a little can help ,in tournaments I use the Devils stinger ,a big red treble hook as a stinger and put a shad dot on the bottom of the head,it gives them a forward target

I use a trailer hook with a skirt but not when I put a soft plastic frog trailer on like a Zoom Toad.