Noise when going in reverse only

Hard to explain but have noticed when going in reverse only when trailering the pedal seems to get soft, or breaks seems soft/spongy. Then i get this mechanical sound like a pump running or a grinding like sound. My breaks on truck were literally just done.. Wondering if its the trailer itself. Its a 2015 Triton single trailer. Dont notice it without the trailer. Fine going forward.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    The trailer isn’t going to affect how the pedal feels in the truck.

Your trailer may be braking when the truck is in reverse if you have a fuse blown in the truck.

Try backing up a hill, preferably gravel, both with the trailer plugged in and unplugged. Should be much more resistance unplugged.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    No soft pedal but my vehicle makes a sound like you describe each time I back up with boat. It is a warning sound from back up camera because camera thinks I am about to back into something.

4. Member
    I did unplug the trailer at the ramp and it did it with or with out it plugged in. I just dont notice any issues without the trailer hooked up. Yesterday i backed down a steep slope so we could winch out the boat lift at the lake no issues at all. Hook the trailer up and go in reverse on a slight slope and hit rye brakes and get this slow brake feeling and that mechanical grind.

Brake booster goin bad...prolly don’t feel it will without a load. Add the boat it’ll stand out. My .02
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

6. Member
    U know I have a 15' Silverado and I remember getting a recall issued a yr ago about a vaccum pump issue with the braking system. Affected stopping at low speeds. Cant recall if I got this resolved, normally get all recalls resolved but this one cant remember. Figures

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFan9 View Post
    U know I have a 15' Silverado and I remember getting a recall issued a yr ago about a vaccum pump issue with the braking system. Affected stopping at low speeds. Cant recall if I got this resolved, normally get all recalls resolved but this one cant remember. Figures
    mine done the exact same thing,they done the recall new pump and belt and no problem now,had to take it to two different dealers to get it resolved,it will do it with the trailer unhooked also,drive truck up on steep driveway and put truck in reverse and slowly let off brake but slowly ride the pedal and watch it,pedal will go to the floor

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    No soft pedal but my vehicle makes a sound like you describe each time I back up with boat. It is a warning sound from back up camera because camera thinks I am about to back into something.
    What are you towing with?? my 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 with towing package and all the bells and whistles has a button on the dash to turn all those alarms off for towing.