Thread: Motor placement

Motor placement

When my boat was new the motor was mounted 3rd hole down and had a 23 Tempest. That was speck for my boat, when it was new. I got a 6" jackplate added this year and it was installed with the motor mounted 3rd hole down. My question is, I"m thinking about getting the new 4 stroke Merc and wanted to know if it should be mounted on the JP in the top hole and use the JP to raise the motor to the proper height.It is a Vance manual JP.

2. Member
    What boat do you have?

3. Member
    Also consider the weight of the 4 stroke. If Is it heavier than what you you are replacing? More than likely so the stern will be lower in the water, something to consider. Guessing the 4 stroke is 100 pds heavier I would mount the jp 1 hole higher. I like the JP high on the transom so it doesn't scoop water so bad on hole shot. You could always plate the bottom of jp.

4. Member
    1997 181 Champion, the new motor is 50+ pounds heavier, but I do get rid of oil tank

5. Member
    Second hole from the top

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    Second hole from the top
    Good suggestion for good starting point. Start with your JP even, and move up slowly 1/4" after you have measured your base P to P, while watching your RPM and water pressure.