Question 1999 Javelin Renegade 20 Questions

Some years ago I picked up a Javelin Renegade 20 with a Venom 200 on the back from a neighbor to replace my Cajun 190 Pro. (I miss that boat!)

He blew the engine after 6 seasons, (2006) and parked it in the barn until he got around to fixing it. Years passed, and eventually he sold it to me, as-is. Besides a very thick layer of dust and pollen, the boat is in amazing condition. Under the hatches was pristine. No grease, grime or oil. The cleanest bilge I have ever seen in a used boat. Virtually spotless.
    20180521_184201.jpg

I found the exact engine on Craigslist, and traded a nice Yamaha for it. Swapped it out, touched up the top of the cowling, and thought I was in business.
    20180521_201105.jpg20180430_164436.jpg

Besides a motor, the only thing it needed was fresh seats. I found the right seats and swapped them out
    Old seats:20150708_083403.jpg
    New Seats: 20180511_201513.jpg

Unfortunately the new motor has fuel starvation issues that I'll have to deal with before running it. It idles smoothly, and jumps up on plane nicely, but around 45 mph it bogs down. Push the key and it jumps forward. Fuel starvation kills motors, so I immediately idled back to the dock and got off the water.
    On the water: 20180521_190406.jpg

I worked on it a little, but ran out of time and covered it up for another day. Now, 2 years have passed, and my main boat is having issues, so it's time to uncover the Javelin and get it right. It deserves better that sitting around all it's life! I have a thread going over on the Johnson/Evinrude forum about the engine issues, but I thought I would ask some basic questions about the boat here.

First, does anyone here own or have previously owned a Renegade 20?
    What are your impressions of these boats? Do you love it? Like it? Hate it? Any interesting characteristics?
    With a 200 Venom, the prev. owner said he ran 68 mph on the speedo. No jackplate, engine on middle hole. Does this sound about right?
    How is the boat at high speed? Does it track well or like to chine walk?
    How is it in rough water?
    Anything you would like to share would be great.

Thanks!
    20180521_193751.jpg 20180521_193827.jpg
    Last edited by thilltony; 10-10-2020 at 08:17 AM. Reason: To add pictures

2. Member
    did you replace all the fuel lines. filter and bulb? check the pick up tube for issues?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    Sorry, I replied to the other post here.

Very good questions.

I think I replaced the hose and the bulb before the lake test, but I couldn't promise 100%. Now I think I need to run off a test tank, and see what happens after all this rain passes. Would be awesome if it's that simple.

Thanks for the logical thinking!
    Last edited by thilltony; 10-10-2020 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Wrong reply

I've had this boat with a 225 johnson for 14 years . I think it rides good even in rougher water. I can run about 68 mpg on GPS by myself . I have been told on here to try a 25 or 26 trophy plus prop for better performance.

5. Member
    Thanks for the experience, Shafer. Is your boat in the original setup, or does it have a different prop, jackplate, and other changes?

A good ride in rough water is good to hear, as I tend to go out on bigger lakes when the weather is not so great.
    Last edited by thilltony; 10-12-2020 at 07:57 PM.

I have a 2000 R20 (Same colors) dual console with a 2008 200HO Etec. I love the boat, owned since new, only thing I dislike is the small front deck for a 20' boat. Here is what you should do. Sell it to me. Or see list below.
    1. Add 6'' JP
    2. Buy a new 25 Trophy and a Michigan Wheel #200 hub kit.

It's a 70MPH boat with that motor, I get 73+ with my HO and a 26 Trophy. Hole shot is great too. Your in VA, I'm in MD, I'm willing to help you get it right. If your motor is good lets get it done. I have props to try on it as well.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

7. Member
    TDT,
    Hey, that's a great offer! What part of MD are you in? Do you know where Lake Anna is, near Fredericksburg? It's a pretty lake, and full of fish.

I have a very busy week this week, but next week, I hope to get into this boat. I have to start by pulling the cover, wiping it down and giving it a bath. Plan to drain the fuel tank, change the fuel hose and primer, and test fuel pressure, now that I have a gauge. Then I'll put it on the water, and see what she does.

IF she will finally get up to full revs, we can play with her and see what she's got.

I'll PM you my contact info.

-Tony

Quote Originally Posted by thilltony View Post
    TDT,
    Hey, that's a great offer! What part of MD are you in? Do you know where Lake Anna is, near Fredericksburg? It's a pretty lake, and full of fish.

I have a very busy week this week, but next week, I hope to get into this boat. I have to start by pulling the cover, wiping it down and giving it a bath. Plan to drain the fuel tank, change the fuel hose and primer, and test fuel pressure, now that I have a gauge. Then I'll put it on the water, and see what she does.

IF she will finally get up to full revs, we can play with her and see what she's got.

I'll PM you my contact info.

-Tony
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

9. Member
    With the tough year I've had, my long-time hobby of picking up good deals off Craigslist, and eventually selling to upgrade must come to an end. But it's been fun. I've gone from a junky old boat to some pretty nice ones, but it took a lot of time and sweat equity. I just sold my best boat yet to a guy I work with. Happy/sad day. I'll really miss it, but we needed the cash flow more than the boat.

I still have two 20' boats under cover, both of them pretty nice, and I finally have the resources to get them done. One has an Optimax, and this one has the Venom. Soon, I'll have to choose which one to keep. I am definitely leaning toward keeping this Javelin, with it's simple OMC motor. Just need to get her right.

I'm ordering a rebuild kit for the VRO system. What is the popular opinion? Should I run the oil side of the VRO or cap it off and mix the oil directly?
    Last edited by thilltony; 11-24-2020 at 12:11 AM.

Run the vro. It's a good system regardless of what some of the ill-informed claim. I've replaced 2 over the years, one of which was a used unit when it was put on. Both failed on the fuel side.