Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    If you got on the conservative side 2000 cycles out of them and fished three days a week they should last 13 years or theoretically you could fish twice a week for nearly 18 years.

2. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    you don’t believe a Ferrari is 10 thousands times better than a civic...?
    Which motor in the Civic are we talking about?
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

3. Member
    I think the specs said it was the equivalent to a group 24. If you want the equivalent to a group 31 its a huge price jump from the $369 quoted for this one. Also why to you keep your batteries under the console? Mine are in the rear battery/spare prop/bilge pump storage area in the back of the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by kcinnick View Post
    I won't have batteries that I have to maintain on my boat. I don't have them anywhere else, no sense having them on a new boat. AGM 31 is $180 +$27 core + $18 tax gets me to $225, Paying $369 for a battery that is lighter and lasts longer seems reasonable. I also like the fact that I can salvage some space under my console, that is prime real estate to me.

4. Member
    Another added bonus to lithium batteries is your voltage stays constant throughout the day. No more upping the trolling motor power just to stay at the same speed. They don't really drop in voltage until they are down to 10-20% (meaningful drop, there is a very slight amount). That is also an issue to some, as your current lead acid battery meters won't work anymore.
    2020 Triton 206 Allure
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S Serial # 2B642047
    Bravo XS 22p @ 4.5" PTP
    Minn-Kota Terrova 112 w/ IPilot
    Lowrance Ti2 12" Console
    Lowrance Ti2 9" Bow
    Lowrance Point 1
    Standard Horizon GX2350S
    Shakespeare QC-8 Antenna

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikes250r View Post
    If you got on the conservative side 2000 cycles out of them and fished three days a week they should last 13 years or theoretically you could fish twice a week for nearly 18 years.
    Trying to learn something here. So the lithiums basically last based on the amount of charging cycles and the age of the battery is really not a factor? If that is the case then they definitely would be cheaper than say installing the best wet cell or AGM battery out there on the market today.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    Trying to learn something here. So the lithiums basically last based on the amount of charging cycles and the age of the battery is really not a factor? If that is the case then they definitely would be cheaper than say installing the best wet cell or AGM battery out there on the market today.
    Yup, charge cycles. Also, when you winterize the boat, you can leave them around 70-80% and when you get to them a 4 months later they will have probably lost around 2%
    2020 Triton 206 Allure
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S Serial # 2B642047
    Bravo XS 22p @ 4.5" PTP
    Minn-Kota Terrova 112 w/ IPilot
    Lowrance Ti2 12" Console
    Lowrance Ti2 9" Bow
    Lowrance Point 1
    Standard Horizon GX2350S
    Shakespeare QC-8 Antenna

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikes250r View Post
    From my research a charge cycle doesn't even count above 80% or something like that. I charge my batteries every two trips sometimes 3. I did the math and technical at this rate my batteries should last 25 yrs... now saying that if I can get 8 years out of them I'll be happy. Lead acids only lasted me 2 seasons, and up my way that's $300 for a pair of everstart 31's. the lithiums are still more money over the same time, however, the added benefits are worth it. I was in the same opinion 3 years ago when they first started to show up. Price has come down so I did some research and picked up a set. Just unreal !

8. Member
    Some Prices have dropped since I put that list together

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    There is an age factor but LiFePO4 batteries haven't been around long enough to get a hard #. Some mfrs put it at 10 years but, I think it is mostly a SWAG. They consider the batteries "worn out" when they only have 80% capacity left. 100 Ah down to 80 Ah. Still beats out lead acid by bunches.
    This link is a great article. Not long and not too technical about LiFePO4 batteries. Answers a lot of questions: https://www.solacity.com/how-to-keep...tteries-happy/
    Last edited by bobcoy; 11-29-2020 at 10:23 AM.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    There is an age factor but LiFePO4 batteries haven't been around long enough to get a hard #. Some mfrs put it at 10 years but, I think it is mostly a SWAG. They consider the batteries "worn out" when they only have 80% capacity left. 100 Ah down to 80 Ah. Still beats out lead acid by bunches.
    This link is a great article. Not long and not too technical about LiFePO4 batteries. Answers a lot of questions: https://www.solacity.com/how-to-keep...tteries-happy/
    That 80% capacity is after 2000-4000 cycles depending on the manufacture. That is a TON of cycles. The way most fishermen use their batteries, getting charged after every use, they never put a complete cycle on their battery. If manufacture claims hold true these batteries should last 10-20 years if you fished them EVERYDAY, and then you would still have 80% capacity to keep on chugging along...

11. Member
    I have noticed the prices are dropping. I am guessing there will be more companies in the market within a year and prices will vary maybe cheaper.

12. Member
    I just purchased three Amped Outdoors 12v 60Ah lithiums primarily because I didn't have room for a three regular trolling motor batteries in the back of the boat. Yes, they're supposed to last 2000 to 5000 cycles but if you don't use them every day, I don't think you'll ever get close to those numbers. Lithiums haven't been around long enough to know if they'll really last 10, 15 or 20 years. I can't imagine having these batteries 15 years later but my Optima AGM Series 31 starting battery was 10 years old in May/20 so I guess any thing is possible.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kcinnick View Post
    This may be stupid, but how would these compare to a 105ah agm battery? I was planning on getting the Duracell marine batteries from Sam's for my TM.

EDIT: Ok, I did some searching, someone correct me if I am wrong.

So a 105ah AGM battery is good for 50% of its capacity in normal use so I could get 52.5ah of useful capacity and a 60ah lithium (LiFEPO4) would be good for 80% of its capacity for 48ah. If that is the case I am going to pick up a couple of the amped batteries. No tax and no core really make this even out even more.
    Keep in mind, the 80% limitation on the lithium is a hard limitation. Once one of the lithiums drop to 20% SOC, the trolling motor is done for the day. On the lead acids, once one drops to 50% SOC, you still have 50% capacity to continue fishing should you choose to. I would consider $700 for two lithium batteries if I thought they would get me through all my fishing days. I don't think two 60ah lithiums will do that and two 100ah is just too expensive.
    D-Dubya

2003 Skeeter ZX225
    Yamaha VZ225HPDI
    Humminbird 898c SI
    Hummingbird 858c DI

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassdge View Post
    Lithium Pros now has their 12v 50 ah for $399
    https://www.lithiumpros.com/shop/?fw...fwp_volts=12-8
    Too bad it does not have bluetooth built in.

15. Member
    are 3 50ah batteries big enough to run a 112 36volt system? I currently run 3 group 27 agm

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwparker99 View Post
    Keep in mind, the 80% limitation on the lithium is a hard limitation. Once one of the lithiums drop to 20% SOC, the trolling motor is done for the day. On the lead acids, once one drops to 50% SOC, you still have 50% capacity to continue fishing should you choose to. I would consider $700 for two lithium batteries if I thought they would get me through all my fishing days. I don't think two 60ah lithiums will do that and two 100ah is just too expensive.
    Most lithium batteries are rated at 2000 cycles at 100%dod. 80% would be 3 to 4000 cycles. There are other factors that age lithium batteries. High temps will shorten their lives. There are other things to go along with that. A full charge cycle on a lithium 0 charged to 100%. Partial cycles are just that. On lead acid batteries get to 50%dod the voltage will start dropping below 12 volts. Much lower than that and electronics start having issues. To get the full 100% from the lead acid you would be less than 10 volts and will damage the battery and weaken and shorten its useful life. Lithium has over 12 volts to about 95 percent or more dod

17. Member
    Thought I would add a reference for Lithium batteries we use for boats. LiFeP04 batteries :https://www.solacity.com/how-to-keep...tteries-happy/

18. Member
    I have always ran 24 v trollers never needed a 36 v trolling motor . I have been bass fishing tournaments for 38 years 10- 12 tournaments a year all over the place . Currently running a 20 ft bass boat with a lowrance ghost . I put two 12/50 ah battery’s in it last spring . Fishing all day hard I can only lose about 20-30% of the battery’s capacity . I have fished a day and half with no charge and still was above 50% . The biggest mistake guys have with a 24 v system is running to small of wiring from the battery’s to the trolling motor . My best Friend that I travel with has the same boat and same set up 0 issues fish all day on two 12/50 lithium batteries.

19. Member
    I do on a 24 foot boat, 8hr tournament fishing and still have 70% left after a whole day. Once I have seen %down to 54%
    Quote Originally Posted by kram31 View Post
    are 3 50ah batteries big enough to run a 112 36volt system? I currently run 3 group 27 agm

Quote Originally Posted by chrisntab View Post
    I do on a 24 foot boat, 8hr tournament fishing and still have 70% left after a whole day. Once I have seen %down to 54%
    If you are currently running 27s the 50ah will be more than enough. I went from a 36v system to a 24v with 100 amp ionics and I should have went with the 50s. I just put a 24v 50ah ionic on a small boat have fished 4 days and am still at 75%.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12