New depth finder wire, Triton 20 TRX

I recently went up to a HDS 12 on My 2017 TRX. It was flashing on startup so I went with a 29 series cranking battery. It still does it some leading me to believe I need to run a designated wire. My question is should I still run the wires through the battery cut off switch or just rely on the dash switch.

2. Member
    The battery

3. Member
    What gauge wire do you recommend.

4. Member
    12-14ga wire. I think i used on my boat .

5. Member
    Yes 12-14 ga wire inline fuse direct to battery..

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph44 View Post
    Yes 12-14 ga wire inline fuse direct to battery..
    Should I run the new positive wire to the sonar switch or just bypass all switches. I also have an unused ACC switch I could run wire to

Directly to the battery

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

8. Member
    Directly to battery ... get best results..

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

9. Member
    Correct directly to battery what, i did with a fuse at the battery .

10. Member
    One more quick question. How does any of this do any good when the units power wire and fuse holder are wired with tiny little wire?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leethefishking View Post
    One more quick question. How does any of this do any good when the units power wire and fuse holder are wired with tiny little wire?
    Only guessing . The short length of wire does drop the amps as it would as it would the whole length of the boat. The wire harness .
    I went to a shop and bought the largest gauge fuse holder with wire inline i could find . Minds is the blade type fuse holder like the newer ones , that comes with lowrance units. Which i think will be find , as it is on it on line ( circuit) to the battery to the unit and no draw down , just the unit .
    Hope this help . All i know no more problem with units cutting off. Un-less the battery is very low .
    I also run a new wire all the way to the bow to the battery with new wire also .
    I have (2) LCX 113c HD and the 2 pucks for them .
    Last edited by rchavis; 10-13-2020 at 04:03 PM.

12. Member
    That makes sense. Thanks.

13. Member
    I ran 12 gauge wire to a Blue Sea 6 position fuse block under the console then ran the regular wires to a 10" mega mounted off to the side of the windshield. I figured that would give me extra places to add more if needed. I only run a size 27 battery and don't have any problems with that unit and an 8 inch on the bow.

14. Member
    I’m sure you have this resolved, but thought I would let you know what I did. My graph on the bow kept shutting off probably 50% of the time when I started my engine due to a pull down on the voltage. I originally ran 12 gauge wire back to my console to a electrical block, still did the same thing. So I continued running it straight to my cranking battery, both the positive and negative and it totally resolve the issue. Hope this helps. (I have a Helix 7 MD on my bow)

15. BBC SPONSOR

16. Banned
    every connection, every switch, is a potential problem and loss of current due to resistance. Resistance in the wire runs has to do with length and size. SO a big wire loses less than a small, and a short less than a long. Saying that, if you run big all the way to the graph and then it goes small, you wont lose as much as you would if you went small the entire way.
    Also no way I would run 12 or 14,,, its kinda a pia job,, Id rather only do it once. You may end up adding livescope or 360 or who knows what else comes down the pike. Id run at least 10 maybe 8 into a terminal block at the bow. Heck you could even get fancy. Run heavy wire to a relay at the bow, then to a block. Run the relay off the dash sonar switch. yep yep,,, that would be the bees knees. Dash switches still work, and plenty of power available.

I used Marine grade Boat cable in 12/2 AWG gauge
    Separate run for for each FF (I have 3)

Then I used a fuse block at the battery
    It made a huge difference

s-l1600.jpg81pGH-Ub8wL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson