BassPro/ Tracker review

I hate to write this as I am not the type of person to bitch or write bad reviews. However, enough is enough and its time people are warned about the incompetence of BassPro and Tracker sales/service. I bought a brand new 2020 Tracker Targa V19 Combo Tournament Edition from BassPro. Along with the purchase I upgraded and purchased the following options: Upgraded 200hp Mercury Pro XS with DTS (Digital Throttle and Steer), Mercury Pro Kicker 9.9hp, upgraded DTS kicker motor controls (the salesman said this meant both motors were controlled by the same controller and function was transferred back and forth via the push of a button with no manual cables involved), full enclosure top and upgraded premium boat cover. The deal was cash payment without financing and as a promotion, BassPro includes a $650 gift card and 10% off everything for a year VIP card.

To start with, BassPro gave me a written quote and charged 3 hours labor for installing the options. I left to look at a couple other boats and ultimately decided to return to BassPro and buy the Targa 2 hours later. With the written quote in my hand, the salesman said they had made a mistake and they would now have to charge me 5 hours of labor to install the options. It took 45 minutes and getting a manager involved for them to honor their original written quote. I ordered the boat in May and was told 4-6 weeks for delivery. 9 weeks later the boat came in, but they still did not have the kicker motor installation kit, the full enclosure, the boat cover, the gift card had not been delivered (via email) and the ski pole that came with my boat was “given to a different customer” who picked their boat up earlier in the day. I told them I would pick up the boat as is and would bring it back when all the other parts had arrived.

4 Months later, after multiple phone calls, finally I’m told my parts have all come in. Their excuse for the delay was “everything was on back order”….. apparently even the gift card. I take the boat to them with an appointment for the corrected “5 hour” installation of all the parts. As an apology, they said they were also going to do a 20 hour service on the Pro XS complimentary. (Mercury calls for a 100 hour service but Tracker recommends a 20 hour service to ensure there are no indications of pending problems. It’s a motor and lower end oil change.) Miraculously, as I’m questioning them about my gift card which I still had not received, I finally get an email for my gift card. They also explained there was no such thing as DTS for the 9.9 kicker and they had sold me an $1800 upgrade I didn’t need. Also, the kicker would be controlled via a separate controller that uses manual cables, and the cover still had not come in. I had them cancel the $1245 cover. They said they would need some time to refund the “DTS” kicker control and the cover. 9 days later, after multiple calls, they explain the kicker motor was done, but they could not install the full enclosure because not all the parts came in, and the ski pole still had not arrived. They explained the delay was because one of their technicians had retired and others quit leaving them with only one technician. When I went to pick up the boat, they said they forgot to do the 20 hour service because nobody put it on the work order. They also sold me the VesselView Mobile and told me it would Bluetooth to my Helix 7 graphs to show me motor functions (apparently this is incorrect and it will only link to phones and tablets with the app).
    So here we are, over 6 months later, BassPro/ Tracker still owe me a ski pole that came with my boat, the full enclosure, over $2,000 in refund and a “complimentary” 20 hour service. As for the boat and items I have received, they are great and I am very happy with their performance. Hopefully some of you find this helpful and if you do end up doing business with them you know what you could be in for.

2. Banned
    Your nicer than I am. I would have a lawyer so far up BPS backside it wouldn't be funny they would take it back just to get me to go away.

3. Member
    I tried to be understanding with the Covid and all going on, but their incompetence on selling me things and telling me how certain other things were going to be just got too much.

4. Member
    The backordered items are out of their control but the runaround on the service side is kind of ridiculous. Imo you have to do your own research about marine electronics interoperability as things change so much and information is somewhat vague and the salesmen do not know everything.

Customer service is only as good as the employees that are servicing the customer and they will vary from place to place.

5. #FRB
    Sorry you had such bad luck but to play devil's advocate all dealers are different. When I purchased my Tracker new at BPS in 2016 they were up front with me about everything. And when I tried to add and upgrade options the salesman even said "man your labor charges are really adding up here and you might want to just do this yourself". I took his advice and just did the upgrades over time and glad I did because I decided to go a different direction on how I wanted it rigged. The salesman was a royal douche but at least he was honest and I have big respect for honesty.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

6. Member
    Yea, this does seem to be a common issue with buying a BT from BPS, in regards to their sales and service experiences, not usually the best in most cases. So since I'm all in the market for a 2020-2021, would buying the boat from another dealer that's not BPS be more of a better choice?

I checked two of the other local dealers and main business is to sell and service boats (of several other major brands), I'm thinking this avoids going thru a BPS shop (??) and their Yelp reviews are fairly good and since BT has a "no haggle pricing", it should be the same cost factor? Anyone else buy their BT besides from the BPS outlets?

I don't mind giving up the gift cards and other perks for better service and less headaches.

7. #FRB
    Lots of Tracker dealers that aren't in a BPS. I would think it would be less of a circus from start to finish going through a dealer in a building that just sells and services boats. I bought mine at BPS in Little Rock and picked it up at a dealer in North Little Rock. Bradford Marine does have several Tracker dealers in Arkansas with one of them in BPS. I would think this is a common thing around the country with BPS being a satellite location to a standalone dealer.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

8. Banned
    The OP seems to be running to different fishing pages to cut/paste the same thing..............I take it he's somewhat unhappy with his experience.

9. Member
    Bought my new boat in 2018 and have nothing bad to say about bps. everything they said they have done.

10. Banned
    this was a cash deal,, why give them money until boat was ready to drive away with ?

11. Member
    BPS has the worst customer service in the boating department.

12. Member
    @ Goldfishy Like I said, I love the boat so far. All my problems have been centered about BassPro. The only thing that may be centered around Tracker would be the availability/ backorder of their parts. Things happen from time to time, but as a manufacturer they should be timely with fullfilling their backorders. However, this could also just be a BassPro issue as well. Either way, if items are on backorder, thats something that should have been disclosed at the time of sale by BassPro. If I were to do it again, I'd either go to a specific Tracker dealer or go to a brand altogether. Good Luck!

@bshort Hell yeah I'm unhappy with my experience. I'm pretty understanding and not one for writing "reviews" but after 6 months of dealing with this, I'm putting it on blast!

@Dropdeadfred It was a cash deal and BassPro requires full payment or full financing up front when you take delivery of the boat. That includes all the options purchased with the boat regardless of them being on backorder. There's also a deposit when you order the boat.
    Last edited by Sie805; 10-19-2020 at 01:44 PM.

13. Member
    Goldfish, you may have a better experience buying from a dealer and you will get the gift card from Manufacturer. When I bought mine from an independent dealer, I negotiated my drive out price with dealership. I received my BPS gift card in the mail. Very happy with my purchase experience.

14. Member
    I bought from a local non BPS dealer.
    Service is just as bad if not worse.
    Smaller Independents will say well I’m waiting on tracker.
    Reason is they carry so many lines they do not have pull
    with Tracker to get things fixed in a timely manner.
    My issue is on paint chipping and pretty much crossing fingers on it getting fixed.

15. Member
    I purchased my 2012 175 txw in 2011 and have never been back to BPS even once. The Mercury did go in for a leaky oil pump once that was covered under Warranty. Plenty of people out there with good experiences. Last I checked I was at about 600hrs on the big motor.

16. Member
    I called Waypoint Marine (owned by BPS) in New Braunfels Texas and I asked the guy if they had a 115ah deep cycle battery with large rc. The guy said batteries don't show ah's or rc's only mca and cca. I was on speaker phone and they wouldn't pick up. I tried to explain and he kept yelling from where ever he was at that batteries only show mca and cca and nothing else. They hung up on me. Ass heads!!