Bass Boat Newbie - Must Have Tools

Good Morning Guys. First post here but i've been lurking for quite a while. Lots of great info and guys willing to share. I just purchased my first "real" bass boat, a 2018 Nitro Z20 with a 250 Pro XS and a tandem axle trailer. I've spent the majority of my time as a co angler the last few years in local bass clubs and don't have a ton of experience with boat maintainence when things go wrong, especially while traveling. What crucial tools do I need to make sure I have with me when traveling just in case something goes wrong, like a blown trailer tire or whatever else can happen? Thanks.

For the boat I carry a basic tool kit that comes in one of those molded plastic cases, a set of jumper cables, extra fuses and a couple of screwdrivers. I just need the basics to fix something minor. Oh one other thing to have......toilet paper.

For your trailer make sure you have a spare and that it has air in it. I've seen it before where someone had a flat and the spare was flat. You will need at least a 4 way lug wrench and some type of jack.

3. Member
    If traveling longer distance, spare hub for trailer, jack, grease gun, lug wrench, air pump, jump starter, plus basic tool box and a few ratchet straps

4. Member
    Duck tape and a flashlight! Also go thru a practice dry run on how you would handle a flat tire on your trailer. Will your jack work? Do you have the right size lug wrench, etc? I had a flat a few years ago and I thought I was ready as I had went thru my check list only to discover my spare was nearly flat. I recently bought “trailer aid” tire changing ramp- a must if you have a tandem axle trailer.

5. Member
    Glad I did the practice run on the spare tire because I needed thin wall sockets and the lug nuts were way to tight.

Basic tool set in a plastic case, duct tape, zip ties, trailer jack, lug wrench, long jumper cables. I always used to have a DC air compressor, but I let one of my kids use it and haven't seen it in awhile.

I've yet to see it mentioned, but always have a little first aid kit on hand too! I carry one like these from Amazon: https://amzn.to/2UbrFjS
    1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite DC
    2010 Mercury 200 ProXS
    Dual Lowrance Ti2's / Ghost TM

8. Member
    A good boat tow rope along with all the above

9. Member
    Look at your tilt & trim pressure release screw. Mine has a slot for a large flathead screwdriver. I would keep a screwdriver handy that will turn that screw in case your tilt won't go up. Hard to put the boat on the trailer with a motor that stays down.

Electrical contact cleaner is helpful for terminated plugs that are gunked up.

A small piece of sand paper will clean up battery terminals.

If you carry a spare prop and hub with associated hardware, look at your prop nut and carry a socket and ratchet to match along with a piece of wood to brace the prop against the cavitation plate.

Anchor with chain and rope if you are fishing rivers in case your outboard fails. The rope can double as your tow rope.

Extra plug for the bilge.

Extra kill switch lanyard.

Spare ignition key.

Look at the hydraulic fittings on your steering cylinder at the motor, carry a wrench that fits those in case they loosen up.

Look at the bolts and nuts on your jackplate, carry a wrench and socket with ratchet that fits those in case they loosen up.

Look at the hardware that holds your trolling motor on, carry a screwdriver or the appropriate tool that fits that hardware.

1993 Bullet 20XD
    2000 Mercury ProMax 225

10. Member
    An assortment of bolts, nuts, screws and bailing wire. Amazing how these things can vibrate off and disappear.
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166