6.5 Creedmoor Ammo

Been on BBC for about three years and this is my first time in the gun forum. I was really into hunting guns for many years and always kept current on new calibers, the newest trends in ammo, etc. I own and enjoy shooting numerous different calibers and I've hunted around the U.S. and all the way to Africa.

However, over the last 10 years or so, I have not stayed current whatsoever on the latest trends in calibers, ammo, etc. Unbeknownst to me, the 6.5 Creedmoor has become absolutely huge in popularity. My son convinced me that I need to have one. I know there are better calibers, similar calibers, more powerful calibers, flatter shooting calibers, etc. I'm not interested in any of those and there is a good chance I already own one chambered in "that caliber".

So, I just want to know what your favorite factory ammo is for whitetail size game in the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Factory, Hornady elite hunter with the 143eldx. Good luck finding any now. I shot a doe with the Hornady 129 American whitetail. Not impressed with it. No exit, no blood trail. I reload for the 6.5 and components are getting scarce for hunting bullets, you can find all you want in match/target bullets. I have some loads to test with berger 135 elite hunters, 140 vld hunt, Hornady 140 sst and Nosler 140 partition.

The 6.5 is not a flat shooting cartridge. 800 yds requires 22moa adjustment. It is a good stable bullet that recoils very little. My other long range rifle is a 7mm RemMag. When I shoot it more than 10 times I feel like the Coon Dog that screwed a skunk, I didn't get all I wanted, but I had all I can take.

3. Member
    My rifle likes the Federal Premium Nosler Accubond 140 gr. the best, i've had good results on the three deer taken with the cartridge.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetti462 View Post
    Factory, Hornady elite hunter with the 143eldx. Good luck finding any now.
    Midway actually has these in stock right now. One of only two out of 83 that they have in stock in this caliber. Thanks.

I have two 6.5 CM rifles, a Savage and a Ruger. Both shoot factory Hornady 143 grain ELD-X ammo into groups well under MOA. So far, between my boys and I, there have been 3 pronghorn, 2 Axis, and one Blackbuck taken with these rifles. Shots between 40 yards and 269 yards, and no animal made it more than 25 yards after impact. All broadside lung shots.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

I have a Browning Hells Canyon LR in 6.5 CM and as we all know every firearm can vary in what ammo they like... but I have tested a few types out of mine and found that the Hornady Precision Hunter 143 ELD-X have been the best performing round for factory ammo at consistently shooting sub MOA.