Thread: 2000 200L EFI

2000 200L EFI

serial# 0T144410
    I am having an intermittent power loss,drops me down off of pad or just a short hiccup and idle is rough while it is doing it. Idle is good while not having the issue and the motor runs good. It is almost like a switch is flipped on or off. Sometimes it will just bogg for a second other times it will do it for a few minutes. I am working with a Mercury Tech.
    Fuel pressure remains solid with no drop using a gauge 38PSI. fuel lines changed out, primer bulb changed, VST checked also switched out fuel pump with a good one. Trigger replaced plug looked crispy, diaphragm changed, reeds checked, coils checked, stator checked, wiring in boat isolated with remote key switch, compression checked and voltage between 13 and 14.5 volts.
    I am looking for options.
    I have read about the ECU driver boards coming loose, the ignition controller and the detonation control is there a way to check these without just replacing them? Or could the stator give me this even though it checked good?

thanks in advance,
    ready to pull my hair out
    Last edited by frahmalicious; 10-08-2020 at 09:52 PM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes, diagnostic steps for both are in the OEM Mercury Shop Manual.

Given your symptoms, I'd be looking for a loss of spark on any cylinder, OR a drop in voltage on one of the 3 fuel injector drivers.

If he has access to a known-good ECU, it's really simply to substitute it and see if the problem ceases.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Don, we got the boat out yesterday and found that injector bank A would not stay solid with B and C. when I would get the power loss bank A injectors would be doing their own thing and when it would clear up all three channels where really tight on numbers. It was recommended to get a new ECU or repair mine. I am looking to get this one repaired. We did not have an extra ECU to try.

4. Member
    Sounds like I have the same issues frahmalicious. Did you have any luck finding a repair shop for your ECU? Is 8M0068753 the p/n your engine uses. My S/N: OT156680 is real close to yours.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    8M0068753 was the last part number (but is now obsolete).

These folks do a good job with replacing the drivers in those Cummins-style ECU's:

Simon Performance Technology - http://www.simonperformancetechnology.com

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    well got the boat back on the water after having Simons repair the ECU. Not one hiccup in the last four days. They where good to work with and turnaround time was quick. They got it last Thursday and was back in the mail on Monday. Thanks BBC

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar