Thread: Zx250 owners

Zx250 owners

About to pull the trigger on one. Does anyone have experience with and without a hydro plate? I am debating if I want to try and add one or not.

2. Member
    Not sure what benefit the hydro plate would do for you, personally mine jumps out of the hole, and tops out right at 70-72

A Hydraulic jack plate will:
    Allow you to idle in shallower water while keeping the motor in a better angle for water pickup and thrust
    Allow you to jump on plane without a prop strike in shallower water
    Allow you to push the prop deeper when in rough water to give you better control
    Allow you to adjust to the weight distribution in the boat for best speed and ride

Downside is
    You now have to remember to adjust it for the conditions you’re in
    Learn how to adjust more than just the trim to get the best out of your motor (for some people this can be difficult)

It can be an art form rather than a given and you can get yourself in trouble at high speeds if you adjust it to high

If you don’t run rough water a lot and/or don’t spend a ton of time in real shallow water it isn’t really needed
    Last edited by MichAngler; 10-09-2020 at 08:47 AM.
    "The handicapped angler"

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    A Hydraulic jack plate will:
    Allow you to idle in shallower water while keeping the motor in a better angle for water pickup and thrust
    Allow you to jump on plane without a prop strike in shallower water
    Allow you to push the prop deeper when in rough water to give you better control
    Allow you to adjust to the weight distribution in the boat for best speed and ride

Downside is
    You now have to remember to adjust it for the conditions you’re in
    Learn how to adjust more than just the trim to get the best out of your motor (for some people this can be difficult)

It can be an art form rather than a given and you can get yourself in trouble at high speeds if you adjust it to high

If you don’t run rough water a lot and/or don’t spend a ton of time in real shallow water it isn’t really needed
    Thank you, but really what I am looking for is someone with experience with and without one on a zx250. I have only driven a zx250 once and it was in 4-6 foot waves and it did ok without a hydraulic plate. It wasnt amazing, but wasnt bad. At the time I remembered that I preferred the handling of my 225 with a hydro, but that could be just a comfort thing.

5. Member
    Sorry, didn’t even think about you referencing a hydraulic jack plate, thought a “hydro plate” was some sort of whale tail folks are putting on their motors

Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post
    Thank you, but really what I am looking for is someone with experience with and without one on a zx250. I have only driven a zx250 once and it was in 4-6 foot waves and it did ok without a hydraulic plate. It wasnt amazing, but wasnt bad. At the time I remembered that I preferred the handling of my 225 with a hydro, but that could be just a comfort thing.
    I run an older ZX250 on Lake St Clair without a hydraulic jackplate
    I have my manual set more for top end and the ride can be rough in bigger waves
    You just slow down

I had a HJP on the Skeeter prior to that and it was real nice being able to bury that thing in the water for the rough run and there is a launch on Erie that when a west wind is strong enough it gets so shallow that many boats get stuck or over heat getting in or out with the HJP you don’t over heat and can get on plane sooner

It really doesn’t matter what boat/year you have you will see the same differences between manual and hydraulic
    "The handicapped angler"

7. Member
    Love my zx250. Rides great on the Great Lakes and can fish skinny when need to!
    Roger Xiong Jr
    Mukwonago, WI
    rxiong21@gmail.com

2018 Skeeter ZX250 250 Yamaha SHO