99 175 Problems mating lower unit

Hello everyone,
    I'm having an issue getting the lower unit re-installed on my 99 175 after an impeller change. Serial 0G802512.

This is the first time I have had the lower off since I bought the boat, and it came apart easily and slid right off.
    Looking in through the driveshaft hole I can see some sort of seal or bearing race that is partially blocking the hole and preventing alignment of that shaft when trying to re-install.

I have always ran Yamaha's before this I purchased this boat and never ran into this issue on them.
    Does anyone have an idea what this mystery seal could be or what is going to be involved in repairing this ? Thanks in advance.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That is the o-ring carrier that retains grease on the splined end of the driveshaft. It presses into the end of the CRANKSHAFT (and is sometimes dislodged when gearcase has not been removed and shaft greased regularly, OR by "over-zealous" attempts to remove gearcase).

There's a trick to possibly reinstall it, but you get ONE shot at it, so you have to make absolutely sure it's lined up correctly.

I know that I had posted the dimensions and instructions at one time, but for some reason can't seem to locate. If someone has them bookmarked, please post a link (and I'll add it to the FAQ Section).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks. Hopefully someone will have it bookmarked.
    I haven't been forceful with it and knew something wasnt right after the first attempt to re-install.

There is no telling when the last time this gearcase was pulled, the driveshaft had very little grease on it and I could see that it had been fairly warm at some point.

So I should be able to line it back up around the outer edge of the crank and tap it back in with a seal driver?
    I'm also worried about it staying in place once put back together unless the driveshaft keeps it secured?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I do know that the tool was a piece of PVC (1/2" Sch 40) pipe, and a coupler.

A SHORT piece of pipe (sticking out approximately 3/4") was glued into the far side of the coupler.

The coupler was ground down to a diameter that would JUST fit through the adapter plate.

Insert through carrier (engine at level trim), insert into crankshaft, tap carrier into place firmly.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Sounds do-able. Thank you for you're help.
    I will post results and tools used later.

I was looking for it Don, took me a little while and hope this is it......
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....27t+go+back+on

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    THANKS!

Hole in adapter plate is smaller than the seal/carrier, so it's the adapter plate opening you need to size for.

1/2" Schedule 40 Pipe - 1st piece approximately 25" long.

1/2" Schedule 40 Coupler

1/2" Schedule 40 Pipe- Second piece 1.5" Long.

Assemble above.

Grind/turn Coupler down to .950" OD.

Tool ready for use as pictured below:

8. Member
    Don, if this outboard mechanic thing doesn’t work out for you, maybe you could open up European Plumbing Co.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Mine does it every year and I put it back. Pain. For proper fix do you remove the motor?
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    To properly repair, the powerhead must be removed (and install a new carrier/o-ring).