Avx2080 Mercury 200 Pro XS prop question

AVX 2080 with Mercury 200 Pro XS. Which prop is getting the best results? I can tell you a 22P Tempest plus has an out of this world hole shot but cannot seem to get top RPM’s. Struggles to hit 6000 rpms. I think a 22P is to much. Wondering about a 20 or even 19. Thoughts?
    2022 Avid 20XB | 2022 Yamaha SHO 200 | Minn Kota Raptors | Hummingbird and Garmin electronics

2. Member
    If your getting 6000 rpm's you are there. Personally I would not want to run mine any higher than that. That's just my opinion.
    I run a 23 Fury and I am going to try a 25 Saturday. I know it will lessen the hole shot(alot) but just have to see for myself.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bug Pro View Post
    AVX 2080 with Mercury 200 Pro XS. Which prop is getting the best results? I can tell you a 22P Tempest plus has an out of this world hole shot but cannot seem to get top RPM’s. Struggles to hit 6000 rpms. I think a 22P is to much. Wondering about a 20 or even 19. Thoughts?
    Well if your trying to get rid of a little hole shot for speed you need to go up on the pitch, try a 23p. However if your trying to gain even more hole shot and less top end then you could go down to the 21p but I would not understand why you would want hole shot that fast unless your you are running tournaments on some very small lakes. Are you running a jackplate? you can usually raise the engine to get the prop out of the water more to also gain a little RPM.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmith3510 View Post
    Well if your trying to get rid of a little hole shot for speed you need to go up on the pitch, try a 23p. However if your trying to gain even more hole shot and less top end then you could go down to the 21p but I would not understand why you would want hole shot that fast unless your you are running tournaments on some very small lakes. Are you running a jackplate? you can usually raise the engine to get the prop out of the water more to also gain a little RPM.
    I was a little unclear. I am willing to give up a little hole shot as the hole shot now is amazing. I have touched 6000 rpm (maybe more like 5900) but it was very hard to get there. I have really very little bow lift. If I had more bow lift my speed and RPM would climb. I’m not trying to “go fast” but trying to run the motor where it should be at top end and right now it is very difficult to get it there. I was thinking I needed to go down in pitch but I may be wrong, maybe it up that I need to go.
    2022 Avid 20XB | 2022 Yamaha SHO 200 | Minn Kota Raptors | Hummingbird and Garmin electronics

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bug Pro View Post
    I was a little unclear. I am willing to give up a little hole shot as the hole shot now is amazing. I have touched 6000 rpm (maybe more like 5900) but it was very hard to get there. I have really very little bow lift. If I had more bow lift my speed and RPM would climb. I’m not trying to “go fast” but trying to run the motor where it should be at top end and right now it is very difficult to get it there. I was thinking I needed to go down in pitch but I may be wrong, maybe it up that I need to go.
    Gotcha, I was having problem with bow lift on my 1980 as well. After countless hours on the phone with my dealer and Vexus, several days of testing and reporting jackplate heights and all the differences both positive and negative Vexus finally wanted me to try a different prop. Vexus sent a brand new Fury 23P my way and this has fixed all the bow lift issues I was having, it was almost as if the boat would catch up to the tempest plus 23p and that is what was causing the prop to cavitate and the bow would drop down slowing the boat. I have heard of people just taking the prop they have to a prop shop and they add cupping, I have also heard it many Vexus owners having a positive response after the cupping was added and big speed increases.

Anyways, best of luck to you and I am sure you dealer and Vexus will work things out and make it right. If you feel your boat is not performing correctly then I would bet it is more than likely not.

Another factor that could be affecting your lift is the extra "trim tab" weld on the outside flat of the pad. I took several videos etc of my 2080 on plane and I am not getting the lift I should be. My dealer recommends grinding a very little off the weld. They have done this on several other AVX's that were having similar issues as me, all positive results. Talking with Vexus there are several factors that impact lift. Weight, prop condition/cup, temp, driver, trim angle etc. I am trying to eliminate all the non-permanent options first before letting my dealer do this. However, if I was getting 5900-6000 I wouldn't mess with anything!!
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesslk View Post
    Another factor that could be affecting your lift is the extra "trim tab" weld on the outside flat of the pad. I took several videos etc of my 2080 on plane and I am not getting the lift I should be. My dealer recommends grinding a very little off the weld. They have done this on several other AVX's that were having similar issues as me, all positive results. Talking with Vexus there are several factors that impact lift. Weight, prop condition/cup, temp, driver, trim angle etc. I am trying to eliminate all the non-permanent options first before letting my dealer do this. However, if I was getting 5900-6000 I wouldn't mess with anything!!
    I have heard of that being a factor. I’ll keep working with it and see. If I was getting 5900-6000 and getting good speed, I’d be fine. But I am not getting but about 55mph at that rpm.

8. Member
    Are you getting 55mph on the speedo or GPS? My speedo was very accurate first time out, right with the GPS, and since I believe it has trash in the pick up. From my experience the 23 Fury seems to be the best all around for the 2080 and 200 Merc. Hole shot and top end. I get 65 in the best conditions, a couple less on humid days, and of course rougher water conditions.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Pickel View Post
    Are you getting 55mph on the speedo or GPS? My speedo was very accurate first time out, right with the GPS, and since I believe it has trash in the pick up. From my experience the 23 Fury seems to be the best all around for the 2080 and 200 Merc. Hole shot and top end. I get 65 in the best conditions, a couple less on humid days, and of course rougher water conditions.
    I always use GPS speed. I think I will likely switch to a 23P, either Fury or Tempest.