Electronics set-up question

So I have 2 Carbon 12’s and Garmin Panoptix. I have 2 group 31 batteries connected together that run everything except my trolling motor. They are quite new so assume they are good.

the Garmin eats battery juice. Anyone have a similar set-up in a bassport? Are you using lithium’s? Should I dedicate one AGM just to electronics and the other to everything else?

I care less about weight than system performance.

Sorry about so many questions, but I am open to suggestions of all varieties.

Thanks in advance-
    MET/ XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite - 300xs

2. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    The Garmin as in the electronics is eating up the battery??? YOu have 2 12V batteries connected in series for 12 Volts and 1 single electronics is killing your battery?

Give us some examples of how you start and end the day. Do you hook up these two batteries to a charger before the trip? Are these 2 batteries connected to your onboard stealth charger??

Here's an example of what I ran into....not literally!! I have an AGM for cranking (and the boat harness is connected to it), a single 36V Lithium for my TM and recently added a 12V Lithium CRANKING battery as a dedicated power source for all of my electronics. I installed, as I do with any boat I own, a dedicated wiring system just for my electronics. It has an ON/OFF manual 40 amp circuit breaker by the battery and those leads go to a dedicated Blue Seas bus for all my electronics.

I have a new battery switch for OFF, Batt1, BAtt2 and BATT1+2. BAtt 1 is the crankking and BAtt2 is the "house battery" for my electronics. Theoretically the switch should be left to the BATT1 position for a normal day of fishing. The BATT 2 position is if I want to run everything on the boat off this battery and 1+2 is like an emergency start position if I run down the cranking battery.

Here's the kicker though....BATT 2 (house battery dedicated to the electronics) is not getting any recharge juice throughout the day unless I turn the Switch to BATT1+BAtt2. So I was running down that 12V Lithium battery which was a cranking battery not a deep cycle in a full day. 3 Lowrance units, sonic hub, Nmea 2000, point 1, sirius antenna, Hydrowave.

So now I just leave the switch to BATT1+Batt2 all day and when I make a long run at speed my volt meter shows both are getting juiced back to above 13 volts by my stealth

Hope that didn't confuse you completely. It did me trying to install it all!!! haha
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    The Garmin as in the electronics is eating up the battery??? YOu have 2 12V batteries connected in series for 12 Volts and 1 single electronics is killing your battery?

Give us some examples of how you start and end the day. Do you hook up these two batteries to a charger before the trip? Are these 2 batteries connected to your onboard stealth charger??

Here's an example of what I ran into....not literally!! I have an AGM for cranking (and the boat harness is connected to it), a single 36V Lithium for my TM and recently added a 12V Lithium CRANKING battery as a dedicated power source for all of my electronics. I installed, as I do with any boat I own, a dedicated wiring system just for my electronics. It has an ON/OFF manual 40 amp circuit breaker by the battery and those leads go to a dedicated Blue Seas bus for all my electronics.

I have a new battery switch for OFF, Batt1, BAtt2 and BATT1+2. BAtt 1 is the crankking and BAtt2 is the "house battery" for my electronics. Theoretically the switch should be left to the BATT1 position for a normal day of fishing. The BATT 2 position is if I want to run everything on the boat off this battery and 1+2 is like an emergency start position if I run down the cranking battery.

Here's the kicker though....BATT 2 (house battery dedicated to the electronics) is not getting any recharge juice throughout the day unless I turn the Switch to BATT1+BAtt2. So I was running down that 12V Lithium battery which was a cranking battery not a deep cycle in a full day. 3 Lowrance units, sonic hub, Nmea 2000, point 1, sirius antenna, Hydrowave.

So now I just leave the switch to BATT1+Batt2 all day and when I make a long run at speed my volt meter shows both are getting juiced back to above 13 volts by my stealth

Hope that didn't confuse you completely. It did me trying to install it all!!! haha
    Mine is the same way.
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

4. Member
    I'll tell ya....adding that switch with the various battery positions sure did tax my pee brain til I got a good understanding of how it was to work. I made drawings so I could see it to understand it. I called Tim Powell and a few others that I knew had more understanding of electrical til it sunk in.

Only thing that may have been better is if the "house battery" was a deep cycle Lithium instead of a cranking Lithium. But keeping on BAtt1+Batt2 all day seems to wrok great since they get charged all the time when I'm running.

MET it's almost like you have with 2 12V batteries connected together. My AGM cranking battery has the boat harness attached and the Lithium has my electronics. Of course the 4ga wires also run to the batteries that come off the Emergency switch (BAtt1, Batt2, Batt1+Batt2) as Danny Roberts from Stealth Chargers calls it. That's where I got the switch and heavy battery wires.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    I'll tell ya....adding that switch with the various battery positions sure did tax my pee brain til I got a good understanding of how it was to work. I made drawings so I could see it to understand it. I called Tim Powell and a few others that I knew had more understanding of electrical til it sunk in.

Only thing that may have been better is if the "house battery" was a deep cycle Lithium instead of a cranking Lithium. But keeping on BAtt1+Batt2 all day seems to wrok great since they get charged all the time when I'm running.

MET it's almost like you have with 2 12V batteries connected together. My AGM cranking battery has the boat harness attached and the Lithium has my electronics. Of course the 4ga wires also run to the batteries that come off the Emergency switch (BAtt1, Batt2, Batt1+Batt2) as Danny Roberts from Stealth Chargers calls it. That's where I got the switch and heavy battery wires.
    I went with a Lithium Pros TM3190...
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

6. Member
    I just stumbled onto this wiring harness:

https://www.precisionsonar.com/produ...wiring-harness
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

7. Member