Banned

Replacing Speed Gauge

I have a Nitro Z7, 2008 with a 2008 150 optimax. I think the speedo gauge is stupid due to inaccuracy anyways and I use the GPS on fishfinder to see speed. The boat has all analog gauges and I want one that displays digital water psi, engine temp, and RPM (the three I mainly want to watch). I was thinking about getting the SC1000 or the mercmonitor. I really do not plan on connecting fishfinder to the gauge for NMEA and do not see a true reason for this and want to keep my setup as simple as possible but still be able to attain this information. Has anyone replaced this larger gauge on their Nitro and put in one of the smartcraft gauges? If so, which one did you go with? And why did you go with this gauge over the other?

Thanks for replies in advance.

a Merc Monitor would be the way to go IMO. I agree a speedometer is not needed any more.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

3. Banned
    BMCD, I see there are level 1 and level 2. From what I understand the level 2 allows for NMEA connection to fish finders. Would I really want that? Again, I am about simplicity and I really dont care to have engine information showing up on my lowrance units. I figure that is why I have gauges on the boat, and fishfinders for finding fish. If I installed a mercmonitor in place of the of speedo, I should get some basic information needed that would verify the other analog gauges already on the boat. The big ones are engine temp, water PSI, and RPM verification when idling and at WOT. Thanks for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by flashman252 View Post
    BMCD, I see there are level 1 and level 2. From what I understand the level 2 allows for NMEA connection to fish finders. Would I really want that? Again, I am about simplicity and I really dont care to have engine information showing up on my lowrance units. I figure that is why I have gauges on the boat, and fishfinders for finding fish. If I installed a mercmonitor in place of the of speedo, I should get some basic information needed that would verify the other analog gauges already on the boat. The big ones are engine temp, water PSI, and RPM verification when idling and at WOT. Thanks for the response.
    What fish finders are you using?
    Collision Consultants of Akron--- Marine Fiberglass repair and electronic installer 3309333230

5. Member
    Replaced my tach/trim gauge with a level 1 merc monitor, kept the speedo because it has the fuel gauge. Got the screen setup to show RPM's, temp, and water pressure. Got the kit from European Marine (board sponsor) One of these days I'll probably get the digital trim sender and also display the trim. It is on my NEMA network as well so I can display engine data if I want.

6. Banned
    Green, I have lowrance HDS gen3 units. 1 at the console, 1 at the bow. I intend on making the switch to helix units in the near future though. Still tinkering with the idea of keeping 1 lowrance unit just for mapping purposes though and not even having a transducer to it just because I have 1000's of waypoints in my units already. I just can't resist the mega imaging that the birds are offering. Money wise though, I may just get another HDS unit and link it in with what I got.

Mean, I do intend on ordering from eruopean when I decide which route I want to go. My current setup has Speedo, RPM, Water PSI, Battery, Trim and fuel level on all different analog gauges. The only reason for wanting a Mercmonitor is the ability to display digital information against the analog gauges already in the boat. Out of all those gauges, the one I dislike and look at the least is the speedo because quite frankly, they are never accurate. The GPS on the fishfinders is much more accurate and that is what I go off in regards to speed. I guess what I am trying to figure out is why I would want to hook up to fishfinders? When my fishfinders are on, they are doing one thing and that is looking for fish. I dont necessarily want to clutter it up or even slow it down by making it show more data of the boat.

Its just a page on on the fish finder. You can switch. When running you swith to gauges. But I do not do this, all I need is the water psi and rpm. You can also look at vessel view. Talk to Don and European he can answer those questions.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

8. Banned
    BMCD, I thought about vesselview mobile but I dont think it reads the water PSI. I may just go this route if it provides everything I need right on my phone. The only issues I read about on that is that you have to connect the phone everytime you turn the motor off, and then you have to hold your phone or mount your phone and watch it while its running. I think this is true for most on here, part of fishing is so that I can lose service and getting away from that damn thing for a day. Last thing I want to do is be tied to my phone while I am out fishing lol. The actual vessel view is super expensive compared to a gauge and its just another monitor on the boat that I think can be achieved in one gauge. I will PM European or give them a call and get more information on the options available. Thanks BMCD and everyone for the responses.