Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BBC SPONSOR

Angry So tell me. When is enough, enough?

<2b687558> 250 pro xs 4 stroke.

I've had an intermittent miss from day #1. Was told in the beginning it's probably got "air in the fuel line". Fast forward to now with over 70 hrs and the miss still comes and goes. I've had 3 different merc techs (one being a "master tech") look at it, and the miss is still there. Merc has been involved, and running the show the past few trips to the shop.. I've contacted merc tech support 4 different times. The first time they just blew me off. Must be operator error right??

Anyway I got it back the last time it ran great for approximately 7.5hrs, and guess what? It is still there. I got the studder, rough running motor I purchased that came back and showed itself again.

I called merc customer service again today and I asked if it would ever get fixed for all my troubles and could I at least get some extended platinum warranty? The customer support tech said " well we have never done that in the past" I'm like wth?? My whole year has been ruined because of your defective product and can you give a poor guy a break? I've made approximately 13 trips to the shop (there and back) for this issue. The shop is a little over two hrs round trip. The dealership actually came to my house and picked it up one time.

I consider myself an extremely patient person. Keep in mind I work on very complex electrical systems for a living. If I had an issue that I had looked at 7 to 8 different times, and never fixed the issue I would have been fired already. However my patients are done!! I DO NOT blame my dealership here. I mean 3 different merc techs hasn't figured it out why should it be their fault? They didn't build and send a defective motor.. If you can hear me merc step up and do the right thing here. I am done!!! I'm ready to trade the bass boat of my dreams for the same boat, but with a Yamaha!!!

Side note: 3 sets of plug wires, new plugs, and 2 coils has been replaced. Checked the total fuel system, and coils multiple times.

Have a nice day and mic dropped!!!

2. Member
    Yes that would be very frustrating.
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

3. ourflat
    I had a similar issue with my Merc 115 4S on my pontoon boat. No one could figure it out so I took matters into my own hands. I purchased Diacom Engine software to monitor my engine miss since my engine was going into guardian mode or beeping. I was pulling my hair out and it seemed everyone was too busy to work on my engine miss!

I started with the fuel system and added a fuel/ water separator. Cruising down the lake and the dam engine started missing again. I shut down the engine and went back to look in the bowl of the separator and it was full of nasty smelly water/ fuel so I drained it into a container I had onboard my boat. This was just after the shop charged me $300.00 to drain my fuel tank because it wasn’t a warranty item; go figure! My pontoon boat is new so how in the hell is there water/ nasty gas in my tank when I only use 100% non ethanol gas! I don’t have a clue yet when the miss starts I stop the boat and drain the bad gas out and off I go! No computer codes were ever triggered by the bad gas.....

it could be as simple as bad gas and your techs could have a tough time figuring it out.....

Good luck,
    Frank

4. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by ourflat View Post
    I had a similar issue with my Merc 115 4S on my pontoon boat. No one could figure it out so I took matters into my own hands. I purchased Diacom Engine software to monitor my engine miss since my engine was going into guardian mode or beeping. I was pulling my hair out and it seemed everyone was too busy to work on my engine miss!

I started with the fuel system and added a fuel/ water separator. Cruising down the lake and the dam engine started missing again. I shut down the engine and went back to look in the bowl of the separator and it was full of nasty smelly water/ fuel so I drained it into a container I had onboard my boat. This was just after the shop charged me $300.00 to drain my fuel tank because it wasn’t a warranty item; go figure! My pontoon boat is new so how in the hell is there water/ nasty gas in my tank when I only use 100% non ethanol gas! I don’t have a clue yet when the miss starts I stop the boat and drain the bad gas out and off I go! No computer codes were ever triggered by the bad gas.....

it could be as simple as bad gas and your techs could have a tough time figuring it out.....

Good luck,
    Frank
    I appreciate the response, but my tank has already been drained. I get gas from the same 3 stations for everything I own 97% of the time.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck456 View Post

I've had an intermittent miss from day #1. Was told in the beginning it's probably got "air in the fuel line". Fast forward to now with over 70 hrs and the miss still comes and goes. I've had 3 different merc techs (one being a "master tech") look at it, and the miss is still there. Merc has been involved, and running the show the past few trips to the shop.. I've contacted merc tech support 4 different times. The first time they just blew me off. Must be operator error right??

Anyway I got it back the last time it ran great for approximately 7.5hrs, and guess what? It is still there. I got the studder, rough running motor I purchased that came back and showed itself again.

I called merc customer service again today and I asked if it would ever get fixed for all my troubles and could I at least get some extended platinum warranty? The customer support tech said " well we have never done that in the past" I'm like wth?? My whole year has been ruined because of your defective product and can you give a poor guy a break? I've made approximately 13 trips to the shop (there and back) for this issue. The shop is a little over two hrs round trip. The dealership actually came to my house and picked it up one time.

I consider myself an extremely patient person. Keep in mind I work on very complex electrical systems for a living. If I had an issue that I had looked at 7 to 8 different times, and never fixed the issue I would have been fired already. However my patients are done!! I DO NOT blame my dealership here. I mean 3 different merc techs hasn't figured it out why should it be their fault? They didn't build and send a defective motor.. If you can hear me merc step up and do the right thing here. I am done!!! I'm ready to trade the bass boat of my dreams for the same boat, but with a Yamaha!!!

Side note: 3 sets of plug wires, new plugs, and 2 coils has been replaced. Checked the total fuel system, and coils multiple times.

Does Lemon law apply to outboard motors like it does with cars? If so, they owe you a new motor. Time to maybe get a lawyer to write a letter and research the law.

6. Member
    Also curious to know what brand boat is this hung on?
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

7. Member
    Has the coil harness ever been replaced?
    07 Legend LE-21__Sold.
    16 Phoenix 921 Pro xp

8. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTN View Post
    Also curious to know what brand boat is this hung on?
    Caymas cx20 pro

9. Member
    If the ecm hasn't been removed and bench tested by someone who specializes in that type of testing it should be.

10. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Facemelter View Post
    Has the coil harness ever been replaced?
    No it hasn't. I've mentioned that in the past. To me at this point the whole ignition system should be replaced along with any wiring harness. If they want to nip and pick at stuff do it on Mercs time not mine. Not anymore.. Baffles me when I asked about some extened warranty for my troubles they seemed like I was asking for there first born.

11. BBC SPONSOR
    [QUOTE=micropeterous;11418478]If the ecm hasn't been removed and bench tested by someone who specializes in that type of testing it should be.[/QUOT]

I agree. Should have been done long before now.

You mentioned ethanol free fuel. What octane are you running? I know this seems odd but ive seen it myself coworker has a 90/65 jet 2016 model and it had a horrible misfire issue that was very random sometimes to the point where it woukd cut out. Back and dorth to the shop. Coils swapped no change no codes nothing on computer zero issues otherwise. I didnt know he always ran 91 octane in it i told him put 87 octane in it thats what these engines are designed for. 80 hrs later hasnt misfired since.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

13. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    You mentioned ethanol free fuel. What octane are you running? I know this seems odd but ive seen it myself coworker has a 90/65 jet 2016 model and it had a horrible misfire issue that was very random sometimes to the point where it woukd cut out. Back and dorth to the shop. Coils swapped no change no codes nothing on computer zero issues otherwise. I didnt know he always ran 91 octane in it i told him put 87 octane in it thats what these engines are designed for. 80 hrs later hasnt misfired since.
    I don't believe I mentioned ethenol free fuel. I run 87 every time I fill up from the same 3 gas station most of the time.

I don't believe I mentioned ethenol free fuel. I run 87 every time I fill up from the same 3 gas station most of the time.
    Sorry mixed it up with the other post.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Ok Bill... I can certainly feel your frustration with this. First and foremost- Please take a few minutes to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum. This forum is for Constructive and Helpful assistance, and as a written policy we do not permit or assist "rants".

I see 2 coils. I do not see any plug wires (unless you bought them or the dealer didn't claim them).

Need to be sure the CORRECT coil was replaced. Since the "A" circuit is 1-4 cylinder coil, more than likely that was correct.

Coil HARNESS would also be an area I would be checking very carefully. Although we've not seen a lot of problems with the connectors on these engines- we did see some intermittent connector problems previously.

My best suggestion is to work with your dealer AND Mercury Customer Service. There are specific protocols to be followed, and it sounds like those might already be in place, being worked on.

I would absolutely NOT permit anyone that is not an Authorized Mercury Dealer (or an employee of Mercury) to work on this engine, let alone get into the PCM for any reason.

In response to RGK456's post, "Lemon Laws" are specifically written for certain classes of Motor Vehicles.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

16. BBC SPONSOR
    Yes Don I agree that was somewhat of a rant, but at some point something needs to get off high center here. I don't like being the person that started this post, but at this point I see no other option. Ive gave ample opportunity for this to be resolved. Remind u this started day #1 of ownership months ago. I'd hate to guess how many fault codes this engine has had. Around the 3rd of 4th trip to the shopI was approaching 40 stored codes.

The owner of the dealership seems to have my back here. I hope to report back with a feel good story at some point, and put this nightmare in my past. Until then I'll just sit here wait, and see what happens. I just know for what we pay for these engines this should never get this far along. I have approximately $500 in gas just getting the boat there and back. Not to mention my time. I'm waiting for merc to step up and do the right thing.

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You don't happen to have a copy of the G3-2020 reports (or saved files) do you?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

18. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    You don't happen to have a copy of the G3-2020 reports (or saved files) do you?
    I sent u a Pm.

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Thanks. As your desired outcome is outside the scope of constructive or helpful advice or engine/technical assistance, we will not be able to assist here in the forums.

20. Member
    You said from day one. Sounds like caymas might have done something not right from start. You said your dealer wasn't at fault.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast