2002 Stratos xl21 pro walking after adding 3rd batt for 36v and power pole

Looking for advice on what to do here. I have a 2002 Stratos 21xl pro with 225hp Optimax with hydraulic jack plate.
    I just bought the boat 2 weeks ago. Had no issues up to 71mph. Handled great.
    I recently added a 3rd battery for a 36v trolling motor. Only had a 24v prior. I also added one power pole. Both the batteries and power pole are on the port side. Some may be aware that there isn’t many options for adding the third battery as the bilge area isn’t ideal. It was a very tight squeeze.
    the issue I’m having now is around 55mph it starts chine walking very bad. Before adding the extra weight I normally ran it jack plate all the way up and trimmed about half way. I’ve tried making slight adjustments each way but it seems to make it worse.
    obviously it’s a weight distribution problem but I’m not sure what I could do. There isn’t many options other than moving the batteries to another compartment up front or something. Looking for any advice, or if anyone has ran into the same issues. My thoughts is to run one of the batteries to another compartment but I’m wondering if it’d cause an issue with voltage loss if I have to run long terminals to that one battery. Thanks in advance for any help and let me know if any other info is needed.

Last edited by 802bassSlayer; 10-06-2020 at 07:32 PM.

2. Member
    you just added 150-175 lbs to one side, going to be a battle to balance? i would have put pole on other side to help a little at least? is it just an illusion or is you motor not set on straight?

could go lithium batteries to help would remove 130 lbs or so?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Banned
    what would be different than if he was fishing alone or fishing with another person ?
    Correlation isnt always causation. Before getting crazy try an experiment. Pull 2 of the deep cycles and go run, see if problem stops. That would verify its a weight issue. Then you need to figure out if it is a side to side balance issue or a transom depth issue. A partner is sitting farther forward.
    Rereading your post now I am guessing it is your motor. My boat chine walks bad with a motor too low, raised it up an inch helped alot. I see you stated you normally run it all the way up, maybe need another inch or so of engine lift as its setting lower in the water. Although maybe that doesnt matter.. Just throwing out thoughts.
    Have you verified the power pole isnt dragging water while running ?

4. Member
    Having the 3 batteries and power pole one one side will cause the chine walk. If the boat an good and no chine walk prior to installing the extra battery and pole, then the issue is weight distribution. Not sure on the layout of the bilge for that boat. I know on my 05 201pro xl i have to get creative with the three batteries, and power pole pumps.