HDS Gen2 Touch GPS reading issue

I've got a Gen2 Touch 12 at the bow linked to my Gen3 Touch 12 at the console. The Gen2 all of the sudden started losing its GPS 'fix' and is giving me a question mark over the icon. And, it doesn't change positions on the chart as I move the boat with the trolling motor. When I pick up and run somewhere, it'll 'update' my position then be stationary again and not move (with the same question mark icon). I'm using the internal gps antenna and the software is up to date.

Lowrance is telling me that if a hard reset doesn't fix it, then its cooked and they can't service the unit.

Thoughts? Anybody have any experience with it? Guess its time to upgrade......and wondering if this thing is worth anything more than a paperweight....

2. Member
    Before doing the reset, check Pages, Settings, Network, Data Sources and be sure under the GPS tab, the scope is set to Local and the source is This Unit. Then check the satellite page and see if it's trying to lock onto any satellites. Finally you can try the hard reset. If you are dead set on keeping it, you could run a NMEA network and include the Gen 3, then you could use it as the GPS source. Or get a remote antenna like a Point 1 and use it as the source. Without GPS, it's probably worth less than $100.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

3. Member
    All makes sense. I appreciate the response. I'll give it a shot.

4. Member
    All of the steps you suggested still has me with No GPS fix. (Outside of setting up another source like a NMEA or Point 1 antenna).

I guess it’s time to replace.....

5. Member
    I agree. If you are considering buying a new unit, you could try taking your Gen 2 apart and making sure all the connectors are tight. There were some units that had the GPS connector come loose.

NoCAL
    Last edited by NoCAL; 10-12-2020 at 08:07 PM.
    2B112175

To the Op, if you want to open up the case these instructions may be of interest. This is for a 9 inch but the 12 should be the same.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 10-14-2020 at 08:03 AM.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

7. Member
    I’ll take a look. Appreciate the info. Can’t hurt.....

8. TJNYSNP
    those ethernet cables can get unstable if alot of wear on bending as they are plugged in and out

try another ethernet cable in your driveway for longer than when the issue ususally comes up

9. Member
    Update on this for anyone that cares. I pull this thing apart......just like NoCal suggested......and found the connector for the GPS had shaken loose. Quick reconnect and I’m back in business. Appreciate the help.

10. Member
    Awesome
    2B112175